Assuming you scouted and the wind is right

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Assuming you scouted and the wind is right

Unread postby Clevinger » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:16 pm

...what is the ratio of hunting trips to shooter buck encounters that you run into, on average, using beast style methods?

I've read on here that beast style hunting leads to less deer sightings but the ones you do see tend to be much better (in general).

Jake Schnetz

Re: Assuming you scouted and the wind is right

Unread postby Jake Schnetz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:12 am

It depends on the type of bed that you are hunting. Most Beast style beds are going to be "solo" which will be used in almost all cases by a buck. I don't know that there is a set ratio for encounters. I think that using these scouting techniques and playing the wind just makes you a lot more likely to encounter deer that you otherwise wouldn't if you went in there blind and set up shop.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:39 am

Not sure you can put a number on that, we all hunt different areas with different mature buck populations. We also have very different experience levels when it comes to scouting and hunting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:29 am

That ratio is going to go up and down depending on number of mature animals and the number of available bedding locations...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:59 am

Once every 3-4 years... :cry:

NOT a typo!

I've stated many times I'm a college level player or maybe a AAA player in the world of professionals & some All-Stars...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:19 am

Tough one to guesstimate. For myself I would say 1 success in 20 outings would be a good estimate.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Stanley wrote:Tough one to guesstimate. For myself I would say 1 success in 20 outings would be a good estimate.

Thank you, Stanley.

That's what I was looking for. It kind of give me a rough idea of what a good hunter (you) expects after doing your homework and controlling the variables you can (scent, etc).
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:28 pm

dan wrote:That ratio is going to go up and down depending on number of mature animals and the number of available bedding locations...

The main property I hunt has 3 distinct buck beds that are a ways away from each other.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Clevinger wrote:
Stanley wrote:Tough one to guesstimate. For myself I would say 1 success in 20 outings would be a good estimate.

Thank you, Stanley.

That's what I was looking for. It kind of give me a rough idea of what a good hunter (you) expects after doing your homework and controlling the variables you can (scent, etc).

I would suspect my ratio might be a touch below average. I'm not as aggressive as most guys are (plus I'm older). I'm thinking Dan's ratio would be better for sure, he is more aggressive and a more skilled hunter than myself and just about everyone else.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Only looking at hunts up to Oct 20 (around that date I switch from targeting bedding to more rut style tactics) since 2006, when I started a hunting log (and not coincidentally about when I got serious about the technical aspects of big buck hunting):

2006 - 1 out of 3 hunts
2007 - 1 out of 7
2008 - 1 out of 8
2009 - 1 out of 6
2010 - 1 out of 8
2011 - 0 out of 6
2012 - 2 out of 8

Those were all 3 year old or older bucks, some I would have shot but didn't get the chance, a couple I did shoot, and some I passed. Yes I hunt pretty good ground but also note that I am only getting out 6-8 times a year in the "early season"...I try to hunt with a combination of good conditions, so my ratio is pretty good due to that. If I hunted every day my ratio would be much lower...if its hot, if there's a full moon up all night etc, I have learned to stay home and not burn the good spots. I never have more than a couple good early season big buck bedding areas.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:04 pm

JoeRE wrote:Only looking at hunts up to Oct 20 (around that date I switch from targeting bedding to more rut style tactics) since 2006, when I started a hunting log (and not coincidentally about when I got serious about the technical aspects of big buck hunting):

2006 - 1 out of 3 hunts
2007 - 1 out of 7
2008 - 1 out of 8
2009 - 1 out of 6
2010 - 1 out of 8
2011 - 0 out of 6
2012 - 2 out of 8

Those were all 3 year old or older bucks, some I would have shot but didn't get the chance, a couple I did shoot, and some I passed. Yes I hunt pretty good ground but also note that I am only getting out 6-8 times a year in the "early season"...I try to hunt with a combination of good conditions, so my ratio is pretty good due to that. If I hunted every day my ratio would be much lower...if its hot, if there's a full moon up all night etc, I have learned to stay home and not burn the good spots. I never have more than a couple good early season big buck bedding areas.

Wow, thanks. That's really helpful.

Looks like your average is about 1 out of 7. Kind of gives me an idea for a range with Stanley's information.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Clevinger wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Only looking at hunts up to Oct 20 (around that date I switch from targeting bedding to more rut style tactics) since 2006, when I started a hunting log (and not coincidentally about when I got serious about the technical aspects of big buck hunting):

2006 - 1 out of 3 hunts
2007 - 1 out of 7
2008 - 1 out of 8
2009 - 1 out of 6
2010 - 1 out of 8
2011 - 0 out of 6
2012 - 2 out of 8

Wow, thanks. That's really helpful.

Looks like your average is about 1 out of 7. Kind of gives me an idea for a range with Stanley's information.

I kind of didn't read your original post correctly. :oops: My Bad. I based my ratio on big buck kills rather than encounters. I would better guess my encounters with mature bucks would be 1 out of 4 hunts. This would include passes, botches, bucks eluding my anticipated route. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 pm

So far 100% for me but ive only done 2 beast style hunts ;) made a believer out of me though! Not that i wasn't already.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:05 am

Stanley wrote:I would better guess my encounters with mature bucks would be 1 out of 4 hunts. This would include passes, botches, bucks eluding my anticipated route. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Thats impressive Stan :clap:
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:05 am

wow you guys get to hunt alot....we only 6 weeks of early bow season in pa....if i wouldnt take vacation then i would only beable to hunt 6 days out of the season

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”