Single pin guys

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Single pin guys

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:24 am

How do you set your slider up? This is my first year with a single pin. I assume with a slow deer feeding will leave enough time to be ranged and adjust accordingly. What about a running or trotting deer?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PLB
500 Club

Re: Single pin guys

Unread postby PLB » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:30 am

kwaldeier wrote:How do you set your slider up? This is my first year with a single pin. I assume with a slow deer feeding will leave enough time to be ranged and adjust accordingly. What about a running or trotting deer?

I set mine for 25 yards. That way I'm good from 0 to 30 yards. Last nites doe was 35 and I figured the trail she was on she wasn't coming closer so I quick bumped it up to 35, mouth urpped her to a stop at 35, held on her and blew thru her. If it happens quick I leave it at 25 and compensate either high or a fuzz low if real close.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 am

I lead the running deer quite a bit.... :mrgreen:

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:36 am

Do you pre range to know your max with it set to 25 without moving it?

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:41 am

Personally for me, its tough. I had an encounter last weekend where a doe came in broadside 30 yards away and saw my movement as i adjusted my slider to 30. I had to let her pass after she got 15 yards to investigate me and walked away into thick cover out of my shooting lane. Situation will always dictate if you can adjust your slider without the deer busting you. If the deer is coming my way, no need to adjust beyond 20, let it get close for a good shot. You can guesstimate too without moving the slider to a certain yardage, but that is a risk not worth taking in my opinion. Shooting at a deer moving a good pace with a bow is a no go for me.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 am

I use a single pin. (non slider sight). I shoot to 40 with it and have no problems. practice and know what your equipment can do.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I use a single pin. (non slider sight). I shoot to 40 with it and have no problems. practice and know what your equipment can do.

Great advise.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 pm

I use a Black an Gold sight with one pin. I am dead on at to about 25 yards. From there out to 35 yards I know how much I need. After that 40 I could do also. But I don't like shooting past 30 for the most part. That is long shot to me in the woods.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Set it at 25. That covers me to 30. Longer range can be accomplished, but it all depends on feet per second and arrow length. 25 and practice to know where you are hitting further out.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:07 am

Pre-range all of the trails within the vicinity of your stand. Set the slider to the more obvious closer trails. Only adjust on farther shots where your movement won't be picked up. I very rarely move mine from the 20 location...From 10-30 yards you can usually aim high or low in a pinch.
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:42 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Pre-range all of the trails within the vicinity of your stand. Set the slider to the more obvious closer trails. Only adjust on farther shots where your movement won't be picked up. I very rarely move mine from the 20 location...From 10-30 yards you can usually aim high or low in a pinch.

"X2" I also switched to a single pin. Set mine at 20 yards, at 25-26 yards I aim at the spine and put em in the boiler room...
(Pre-range all of the trails within the vicinity of your stand.) Great Advice..
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:12 pm

I also leave mine set at 25. I do not hold low at all for shots less than 25 (missed a buck because I held low once). At 30 yards my arrows land only two inches low so i am still ok with holding the pin dead on. I also use the rangefinder in the stand and memorize yardages of different trees or landmarks. Helps keep you alert and focused for a while, thinking about the different yardages.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:16 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I use a single pin. (non slider sight). I shoot to 40 with it and have no problems. practice and know what your equipment can do.

Yep ,what Brian said. Shoot enough to know where your arrow flies at every distance you are comfortable with.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”