The Camp Cook!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

The Camp Cook!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:03 am

For those of you that hunt at a camp, or in groups- do you have a camp cook? Is the camp cook held in high regard, or are they "just another hunter?" I attended a hunting camp for many years, and no one messed with the cook! :mrgreen:

For those of you without a camp cook, what's the plan for a week long hunt? Pack food for the entire week, or possibly split it up between taking a few days worth of food, buying some groceries locally and hitting an area restaurant a few times? Does anyone spend the entire trip eating out?

dirt nap giver

Re: The Camp Cook!

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:29 am

When I hunt away from home, it is very seldom with a group. I am typically a loner. Before I leave, meals are planned and in the coolers. Eating out and buying from a local grocery store is the last thing I want to do on a hunt. Road trips are expensive enough without adding unnecessary expense. IMO, simple and quick is the way to go... then I'm back at it. If I do run to the store it's because I forgot something or because I need a celebratory 6 pack after the kill. I'm a light weight so 2 brews and a belly full of loin and it's lights out for me. If I were to hunt with a group, the tip of my nose would be brown to the cook. HAIL KING COOK!
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:50 am

dirt nap giver wrote:I'm a light weight so 2 brews and a belly full of loin and it's lights out for me.

:lol: Right on, brotha!

dirt nap giver wrote:If I were to hunt with a group, the tip of my nose would be brown to the cook. HAIL KING COOK!

yep, I found myself saying "yes sir" a lot, and "can I help you with that?" Definitely worth it! 8-)
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:00 pm

RULE OF THUMB WAS ALWAYS TASTES LIKE CRAP BUT ITS GOOD.NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANY COOK FOOD AND COOK WAS ALWAYS POURING THE DRINKS TO.USAULLY EVERYONE WAS 2 SHEETS TO THE WIND B4 DINNER SO COULD NEVER TELL IF FOOD WAS GOOD OR NOT.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:38 am

goldtip5575 wrote:USAULLY EVERYONE WAS 2 SHEETS TO THE WIND B4 DINNER SO COULD NEVER TELL IF FOOD WAS GOOD OR NOT.

:) That's one way to get by with less than stellar chow! We were lucky, our cook was top notch. The rest of us would have surely suffered if he didn't cook- we were VERY average at best.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:16 am

We can have up to 4 guys in camp, and we all pitch in. However the first one to tag out gets designated as camp cook, along with other duties as assigned. ;)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:29 am

Black Squirrel wrote:the first one to tag out gets designated as camp cook, along with other duties as assigned.

Man, that makes a lot of sense. The first successful hunter picks up all the slack at camp while the others are still putting their time in hunting. 8-)
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:35 am

We have a camp cook!! She is a non hunter, but loves deer camp. She has even won the chili cook off against a neighboring deer camp. She still needs training, cause there have been a few mornings where breakfast wasn't made :lol: . We won't trade her in for a new one.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:22 am

Excellent htt- sounds like you've got a keeper there, make sure she comes back! 8-)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:17 am

Black Squirrel wrote:We can have up to 4 guys in camp, and we all pitch in. However the first one to tag out gets designated as camp cook, along with other duties as assigned. ;)
Same exact thing here Squirrel. Food at bear camp Is awesome!! We eat better there then any day at home. Everything Is cooked over a fire on a tri pod or In a dutch oven In a hole In the ground covered with coals from the fire.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”