Deer Measurements

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trdtnlbwhntr

Deer Measurements

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:06 am

What is the distance from the front knee of a deer to the bottom of its chest?

What is the distance from the ankle (hoof) of a deer to the bottom of its chest?

I am trying to teach myself the split vision technique of shooting a traditional bow. Howard Hill was the pioneer of doing this and in practicing with it for a week or so, I am improving drastically. I need to know that distance so that when I am taking a shot at a whitetail, I can have some reference as to where the sight picture of the bow should line up or be in line with.
Thanks

live2hunt

Re: Deer Measurements

Unread postby live2hunt » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:04 pm

I think somewhere around 25in from hoof to chest depending on the deer. Roughly half that from the knee.

Can you explain Howard Hills technique a little more? I have never heard of this.
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:59 am

Ok, so from what I have been able to search through and read, Hill wasnt purely an instinctive shooter. He split his focus or vision between the impact point and the location of the arrow at full draw in relation to that impact point.

When you shoot an arrow it starts at point A and finishes at point B. If you were to trace the trajectory of an arrow shot parallel with the ground you find that it flies in an arc. If you draw a line from your eye parallel with the ground your arrow would start at your eye line travel up in an arc and eventually fall below that eye line. Where your arrow intersects that eye line is considered your point on impact distance. So for me my point on distance is 40 yards. From a little trial and error I have found that my nearest point on point is 3 yards. So it is safe to say that between 3 yards and 40 my arrow will arc and peak at a certain distance. With a little more trial and error I know that my peak arrow arc is around 25 yards it is about 23" above my eye line. I also know that 20 and 30 yards my distance between my eye line and impact zone (arrow arc) is about 21". So knowing that it is safe to assume that my arrow is still rising at 10 yards but the distance between my eye line and the impact wont be as much as it is at 20 yards. I found my hold to be about 13". So for my shooting I need to only remember 2- measurements to shoot accurately out to 30 yards. 13" and 21". If I have a coyote out to 40 I know that my hold is right around dead on impact point.

Now that sounds a lot like gap shooting, the main difference is, with gap shooters the target is always out of focus. The arrow is always in focus. With instinctive shooters there is never an arrow to see. With split vision, your main focus is on the target, but your out of focus conscience picks up the arrow and double checks your instinctive aim. You can then adjust accordingly. For me it has taken the left and right out of my shooting. Now I am shooting with extreme confidence knowing that I can check myself at go time. The brain is a powerful tool, but it can be fooled, with a check and balance you can make sure you never get fooled by your eyes.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:11 am

trdtnlbwhntr wrote:Ok, so from what I have been able to search through and read, Hill wasnt purely an instinctive shooter. He split his focus or vision between the impact point and the location of the arrow at full draw in relation to that impact point.

When you shoot an arrow it starts at point A and finishes at point B. If you were to trace the trajectory of an arrow shot parallel with the ground you find that it flies in an arc. If you draw a line from your eye parallel with the ground your arrow would start at your eye line travel up in an arc and eventually fall below that eye line. Where your arrow intersects that eye line is considered your point on impact distance. So for me my point on distance is 40 yards. From a little trial and error I have found that my nearest point on point is 3 yards. So it is safe to say that between 3 yards and 40 my arrow will arc and peak at a certain distance. With a little more trial and error I know that my peak arrow arc is around 25 yards it is about 23" above my eye line. I also know that 20 and 30 yards my distance between my eye line and impact zone (arrow arc) is about 21". So knowing that it is safe to assume that my arrow is still rising at 10 yards but the distance between my eye line and the impact wont be as much as it is at 20 yards. I found my hold to be about 13". So for my shooting I need to only remember 2- measurements to shoot accurately out to 30 yards. 13" and 21". If I have a coyote out to 40 I know that my hold is right around dead on impact point.

Now that sounds a lot like gap shooting, the main difference is, with gap shooters the target is always out of focus. The arrow is always in focus. With instinctive shooters there is never an arrow to see. With split vision, your main focus is on the target, but your out of focus conscience picks up the arrow and double checks your instinctive aim. You can then adjust accordingly. For me it has taken the left and right out of my shooting. Now I am shooting with extreme confidence knowing that I can check myself at go time. The brain is a powerful tool, but it can be fooled, with a check and balance you can make sure you never get fooled by your eyes.

You have made a lot of progress in a short period of time. Good work. :dance:
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:36 am

I'm getting there. I am going to get out my recurve and try the same procedure. I know that bow is a little slower so the measurements will be a little different.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Wow! Too much to think about there for me. I have shot hundreds if not thousands of arrows with the old bow and now it just comes natural. Guess that is kind of how I shoot though.
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:37 am

I have shot traditional bows for 10+ years and felt compelled to try and take the "gut feeling" out of it. That's why I decided to make the attempt. The thinking part of it happens initially, now I can just go out and shoot and not really think too much. I know where and what it is supposed look like and that really helps my shooting a bunch.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”