beast hunting/bachelor groups bedding question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

beast hunting/bachelor groups bedding question

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:59 am

Ok guys my mind is hooked on Archery hunting right now. I know beast hunting is effective and tried and true. I have question on bachelor groups and bedding though.

I know that through beast hunting techniques we look for a mature buck bed. This is the bucks bedroom if you will. We find this early way before the season and assume he will be using the same bed in the fall. We find this, plan for the winds to hunt this location and set up when the wind is right to do so. There is a lot more to it but just giving a brief summary for those who may not own the videos.

My question is when the bucks are in bachelor groups, how do they bed. Do the bucks bed up together, or just meet up at a spot together some time in the morning. i have seen these groups first hand with smaller bucks. But am curious as to what happens when they bed.

Do these bucks get together in their bedding area much like does? Do the young bucks follow the big buck to his bed, then bed nearby. My gut tells me that the don't bed together, but in order for me to have seen these bucks together at first light, wouldn't this suggest that they do bed together?

Just curious on this matter and was hoping to get some die hard beast hunter input on this.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: beast hunting/bachelor groups bedding question

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:01 am

They do bed together, but probably not with the group mentality of does...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:05 am

They definitely bed together. I haven't been able to prove that the alpha buck gets the scouted bed, but I have always assumed so.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:46 am

dan wrote:They do bed together, but probably not with the group mentality of does...

So would it be wise to think that the Dominent buck allows these smaller bucks in his home range in early to mid September, then the "inferior" bucks have to find their own bedding areas as the horns harden and testosterone levels increase? So these non mature bucks will not consistently not have a core bedding area until they are in the 2.5-3.5 yr old range?

I am wondering if one were to mark the location of one of their target buck beds in the winter, and check back in the summer, if it would show there would be many "bachelor" beds around this area as well. This part of a bucks life is not one under much study, and is intriguing to me.

Just thinking out loud here, but trying to sneak in on a target buck bed, might be a risky move if your target buck is in a bachelor group. I am assuming they will bed together in the same general area, but would want to give each other space. Where you set you stand ( 80-100 yards or so from the target buck bed) could have an inferior buck within distance that could blow your whole game. In PA we only get to see bachelor groups for about the first and maybe the second week due to our October start, but trying to think of how to hunt this scenerio if you were able to hunt in mid September when these bucks will still be together. Just something I have been pondering, and wondering if anyone hunting beast style has ever had this happen to them.

Would you suggest waiting on hunting the buck bed until after the bachelor groups break up, or is this a non issue and I am dwelling on worst case scenerios?
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:36 am

bowmike wrote:
dan wrote:They do bed together, but probably not with the group mentality of does...

So would it be wise to think that the Dominent buck allows these smaller bucks in his home range in early to mid September, then the "inferior" bucks have to find their own bedding areas as the horns harden and testosterone levels increase? So these non mature bucks will not consistently not have a core bedding area until they are in the 2.5-3.5 yr old range?

I am wondering if one were to mark the location of one of their target buck beds in the winter, and check back in the summer, if it would show there would be many "bachelor" beds around this area as well. This part of a bucks life is not one under much study, and is intriguing to me.

Just thinking out loud here, but trying to sneak in on a target buck bed, might be a risky move if your target buck is in a bachelor group. I am assuming they will bed together in the same general area, but would want to give each other space. Where you set you stand ( 80-100 yards or so from the target buck bed) could have an inferior buck within distance that could blow your whole game. In PA we only get to see bachelor groups for about the first and maybe the second week due to our October start, but trying to think of how to hunt this scenerio if you were able to hunt in mid September when these bucks will still be together. Just something I have been pondering, and wondering if anyone hunting beast style has ever had this happen to them.

Would you suggest waiting on hunting the buck bed until after the bachelor groups break up, or is this a non issue and I am dwelling on worst case scenerios?

I've personally seen bucks bed together even in the winter months. The fall beds are what I look for. These are usually marked with a lot of white hair just under the leaves. Sometimes a rub but usually not.

That's a very good question about whether or not the dominant buck would kick out the immature bucks.

What I have seen is that even if that was the most dominant buck in a square mile he could choose to move to a different area when fall hits. He could choose to do this because of food source change, pressure or does.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:11 am

I'm by no means an expert on anything deer hunting, but I'm sure others on here have observed mature bucks traveling/bedding with subordinate bucks and what a least appears to be them using the younger deer as a scout. The older deer more or less determines the travel direction but the younger deer is the first one thru a new area. When if come to a bedding area, if your being as aggressive as beast tactics call for you have two choices, push the envelope and get close or not be in the game. Your going to blow deer out sooner or latter. (Unfortunately for me it happens too often)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:19 am

In my experience, for the most part, big old mature bucks don't bachelor up with younger bucks much. Bachelor groups tend to be close to the same age within the group. Lot of times we think because one buck has a better rack, he is the boss buck. They do bed close to each other until the group breaks up.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:51 am

I was going to say something similar to Stanley. I have noticed most times( not always) the older bucks tend to have only one buck with him I rarely see the big boy with numerous deer with him. Sometimes it looks like he might because a bunch end up in the same field. Also it more often, he seems to have another good buck with him rather than one super smaller then he is. Just what I seem to have noticed

[ Post made via Android ] Image
beaston

Unread postby beaston » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Interesting stuff. Not a real common sight to see Bachelor groups by time Ohios season starts. My experience is that the more mature bucks are pretty much alone and moving more and more into there own private lifes by end of September. Seems like it would be pretty risky hunting beast style in early season because the mature deer are in transition to there core areas and a lil less predictable. Forget I said Predictable :whistle:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”