anyone noticed preference

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ehlusive

anyone noticed preference

Unread postby ehlusive » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36 am

okay, lets say you have a straight south wind and a finger that runs straight east and west. deer is bedded at the tip, which side of the narrow finger will he follow when he leaves(north side of finger or south??) There may not be an answer but was just wondering if anyone noticed a preference. I would think he would want to watch the field and have the wind blow through the small timber but I noticed a buck do the opposite. May be just what ever they feel like any given day but just thought I would ask if anyone had noticed one way or another.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: anyone noticed preference

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:40 am

I think he will come down the main trail he generally comes down...
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:28 am

You should be able to figure it out on your walk in, assuming your hunting that point. If you walk in from the south, check the south edge, if there isn't sign, hunt the north edge and vice versa.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:56 am

I think a one time occurrence isn't enough to say that is the norm. I normally don't make a quick decision on where to set up in an area. It may take me all season and sometimes more. This does give you a pretty good idea of where to set up for next year. You may find a buck bed and the buck may have a routine way different than you thought. In your situation, I'm setting up on the North side of the finger. I can then see what the buck does and move in from there.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”