Barometer reading......deer movement?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Barometer reading......deer movement?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:57 am

So, I know we have talked alot about moon phases here at the Beast, but what about barometric pressure? I read somewhere that deer tend to really seem to want to feed when the pressure is rising & between 30.0 To 30.2

I'm just wondering if anyone follows baremetric pressure at all when it comes to hunting?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Chris Conroy
500 Club

Re: Barometer reading......deer movement?

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34 am

It seems that they move most when there is a sudden drop or rise. I'm not sure how it affects them, but I do notice a change in movement.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:08 am

Chris Conroy wrote:It seems that they move most when there is a sudden drop or rise. I'm not sure how it affects them, but I do notice a change in movement.

x2...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:38 am

I believe traditional hunting wisdom dictates that game move more with a moving barometer. They prefer a falling barometer to a rising barometer, and both to a steady barometer. This makes sense when you think of it because a falling barometer means a low pressure system coming, which generally means a storm coming. Take this past saturday evening when so many Beast members had great action. It was right before a good storm moved through Saturday night and signaled by a falling barometer all afternoon - a great time to be hunting! A rising barometer means high pressure moving in - the start of good weather which also means deer are probably a little more inclined to be on their feet. A steady barometer means stagnant air, not much change in weather of any kind. I would say good barometric pressure movement is if it rises/falls 0.1" in 3-4 hours or more - the faster it moves the more sudden change of weather is occurring.

Another way of looking at barometric pressure is the faster it moves, the harder the wind is probably blowing. Wind is just air movement between pressure zones. Obviously if the wind is screaming, deer are just trying to get out of it but it does give you another way to look at it. When it is dead calm, I think I see less deer movement (barometric pressure is steady).
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Same as the last poster..... any kind of movement, up or down .1 in a couple of hours will get critters and fish out and moving.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:14 pm

This may be a stupid question, but is there any way to see a forecast to see if the barometer will be moving at a certain time? I'm just curious if I can see the night before if the barometer is going to be moving or standing still.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Bigb wrote:This may be a stupid question, but is there any way to see a forecast to see if the barometer will be moving at a certain time? I'm just curious if I can see the night before if the barometer is going to be moving or standing still.

I've never been able to find one that predicts the barometric readings, only those that give current and past... be nice info to have though
Make It Happen
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong....my understanding is if the wind direction is changing clockwise, ex. S to SW to NW etc., it is generally high pressure. If wind direction is changing counter clockwise, it is generally low pressure?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:42 pm

dan wrote:
Chris Conroy wrote:It seems that they move most when there is a sudden drop or rise. I'm not sure how it affects them, but I do notice a change in movement.

x2...

Agree, unless the wind is blowing like crazy as common on strong pressure change. On strong wind days, I notice later movement and significantly more skittish behavior. I'm pretty sure there was a thread on high winds a long time ago, maybe another thread too. Couldn't find it.

Albeit, my favorite time to hunt is before a big storm. :D
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:51 pm

I track barometric pressure along with what the wind in doing throughout the season.
Go to the National Weather Service web site, type in your location and use the 3-day
history to get info on barometric pressure and other weather factors.
High Pressure 30.3-30.2-30.1 30.0 29.9 29.8 29.7 Low Pressure.
I use the info to study trail cam photos and actual sightings when hunting...
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:37 am

Rubline wrote:I track barometric pressure along with what the wind in doing throughout the season.
Go to the National Weather Service web site, type in your location and use the 3-day

Have you noticed any specific patterns?

upwind
Facebook: www.facebook.com/josephwrealty

Unread postby upwind » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:19 am

Bigb wrote:This may be a stupid question, but is there any way to see a forecast to see if the barometer will be moving at a certain time? I'm just curious if I can see the night before if the barometer is going to be moving or standing still.

Generally speaking Barometric pressure will be falling as a warm front and/or cold front and associated low pressure system approach an area. Once warm fronts pass an area the barometric pressure may steady for a few hours prior to dropping again as cold front approaches the area in question. After the cold front and low pressure pass the area the barometric pressure will begin to rise. The stronger the low pressure and/or high pressure the more significant the rising or falling of the barometric pressure. There are weather forecast models and soundings available to forecast barometric pressure changes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Chris Conroy wrote:
Rubline wrote:I track barometric pressure along with what the wind in doing throughout the season.

Have you noticed any specific patterns?

Chris, Sorry for the late reply, did some checking and I would have to say no specific
pattern presented itself concerning shooter bucks. Have recorded daytime movement
during High 30.3, middle 30.0 and low 29.7. I would agree with your above finding that
when the barometer is "moving" quickly, this would entice more daytime movement.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”