Best available buck chance, or best buck period?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Best buck or best opportunity?

Target buck, or my goal buck.
24%
Best available chance at a good buck.
76%

Total votes: 75
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Re: Best available buck chance, or best buck period?

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 am

I usually only see one or two really good bucks per year and don't have them patterned to the extent that some on the site do. Typically I haven't seen them other than maybe once on a camera or in a field in the evening. I focus more on learning the properties I am hunting than on learning specific deer. I find that good bucks will usually use the property the same way over the course of many years. So once I know the property I can wait for a good buck. It may not be the buck I have on camera or have seen in the fields, but you can be sure if it is a good one I'm taking it.

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:07 am

With the bow I've always tried to better than what I've already done and i'll stick to that mindset either until the buck population can't produce my goals anymore :lol: or shot enough Pope and Youngs that i'll have to up the anti :dance: . So, I'll pick the second choice. With the rifle my goal range is higher than bow goals, but all the same I'm not gonna drop my mindset cause a lesser than what I expected buck gives me a slam dunk.
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 am

If a nice buck gives me a shot I am taking it.
mtmaggard

Unread postby mtmaggard » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 pm

I have been pondering this scenario since getting a decent idea of what is hanging out on the areas I plan to hunt this year. With it being my first season trying to hunt beast style, not having killed a bunch of big bucks, I believe I wouldn't hesitate to take the 130''.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Been since 2010 that I killed a buck. My time in the woods has been limited so holding to my standards is getting tougher. I have a shoulder problem that may actually prevent me from bowhunting this year so all up in the air for me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JLS

Unread postby JLS » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:31 pm

I will usually take the best chance but it depends on how excited he gets me .

Used to hunt for just a couple bucks and had them both on a small property that sat against a 4 lane highway . Coming up on my 3rd year of hunting these bucks , I was driving down that highway and notice a few highway patrolmen and a couple conservation agents at an accident scene there . I knew that it would take a pretty good buck to draw that kind of crowd and really didn't want to know which one it was so I just kept driving .

Later that afternoon one of the patrolmen and an agent showed up at our store , took their hats off as they entered and placed them over their hearts .... the jerks :lol: , and then proceeded to tell me that I had just lost a 200" and a 180" in one accident .

Got me to thinking about how I could have easily ended up waiting on nothing that year so I started shooting the first buck that excites me and haven't been disappointed yet .
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Target buck, no point in setting attainable goals for my self if I don't stay committed to the goal :D
dehart89
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chad.dehart.89

Unread postby dehart89 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:18 pm

one of each. :D
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together" ~ Fred Bear

"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ~ Kirby Puckett

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”