Darn bee's this year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Darn bee's this year

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:51 am

I got swarmed a couple weeks ago. I was beginning to clear a tree for a stand. I usually start by cleaning the base of the tree. While kicking around the base of the tree, I disturbed a ground hornet nest. They came flying out and I immediately began running. Forgot my pack so I had to do a running pick up. No damage. Never a fun experience.

wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:49 am

Are you sure they are not yellow jackets. Typical honeybees do not like raw red meat or blood, but yellow jackets do and they get down right vicious when you try to take it away from them.

Simplest way to get rid of them is a 2 litre bottle with a little 7 up or sprite in it. Once they go into the bottle they cannot find there was out. These are similar to the same wasp traps sold with pvc in them.

Here's something my neighbor taught me that works along with benadryl. Keep a bottle of meat tenderizer with you. If you get stung make a paste by adding a couple of drops of water to some of the tenderizer place on the sting area and it takes the pain away plus some of the swelling. Tobacco works also in an emergency if you know someone who smokes.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:30 am

Bees, wasps, hornets........I have had enough of them this year already! :shock:

I don't know what is going on or why the are so bad this year but this is something I have never seen before. Wonder if certain weather conditions created a bumper crop of them or what else could be the cause.

Seems like everybody I talk to is fighting them at home or in the woods this year. I had a large wasp nest in my shed, another nest where my foundation and driveway meet and another under the siding of my house. Just on Saturday I had 3 encounters before I even got set up for my hunt.

When I was skinning/quartering my deer in the garage they kept coming in and wouldn't leave the carcass. Ended up finishing the job in the basement!

I would be very worried about being out hunting this year if I was allergic but luckily I am not. Hope anybody that is takes all necessary precautions.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:55 am

i have had the same issue Dewey! how did you deal with them in the siding?? i though i had the entrance caulked shut but it sees the found another way in off the corner of the house . so off i went to the hardware store to by some foam "stuff" i think i finall sealed off the entrance...
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:02 am

forgehunter wrote:i have had the same issue Dewey! how did you deal with them in the siding?? i though i had the entrance caulked shut but it sees the found another way in off the corner of the house . so off i went to the hardware store to by some foam "stuff" i think i finall sealed off the entrance...

I pretty much did the same thing. Waited till after dark and caulked up the entrance. If they ever find their way out I think I am in big trouble. :shock:

Never had these problems before. Can't wait till the cold weather gets rid of them for good.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:06 am

Pollinator bee's should be left alone if at all possible, They are not generally aggressive and they do a very important job. The numbers of these bee are dropping fast and with out them we have much bigger problems than getting stung. I have a special love for these little workers. Wasps, yellow jacket and the like are aggressive and are not that useful. As soon as I get a place that allows I plan to set up some bee hives.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:15 am

I had a few wasps being a pain in the but this spring when they were building there nests. I made it easy to get rid of them, I sucked them up with the in door out door vac. Problem solved.

I have had a couple that like to get behind my vinyl siding, they do not like dawn soap mixed with ammonia. I spray that a couple of times on the edges and they leave.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:06 am

Just came in from outside and they are back behind my Lannon stone and wood siding! Looks like O'Hare with incoming and outgoing flights! :doh:

Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:54 am

:lol:
Dewey wrote:Just came in from outside and they are back behind my Lannon stone and wood siding! Looks like O'Hare with incoming and outgoing flights! :doh:

Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:13 am

They have been terrible around my house all summer long.

They have also been terrible out in the woods this fall. For the last 2 weeks every time you stop the truck to listen for the dogs or check a bait you get anywhere from 1-5 bees buzzing around your face. They have been everywhere. I think 4 or 5 people got stung in our crew last week.
Richard_Hunter

Unread postby Richard_Hunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:49 am

This year while me and my buddy were working on a food plot he walked over a ground nest and got stung about 6 time i took off running cause i am allergic then came back at night and poured a bunch of gas in the hold and lit it up took care of them

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”