in season scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ehlusive

in season scouting

Unread postby ehlusive » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:02 am

I know everyone wants to scout the year before basically to find beds to hunt the following season. I also know a lot of you guys aren't seeing much get up and get on the move and find the action, so you are on the move find the action and find tons of sign, bam there goes the culprit out of his bed. So, now you know where one of his beds are, and it looks primary. Do you guys forget about him till next year or jump back on him in a few weeks or less if you are not able to pull the bump and dump on that particular day/following day because of various other obligations? I know every deer is different so nothing is a sure thing.

headgear
500 Club

Re: in season scouting

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:07 am

If we are talking September then yes I would try and hunt that set again in late Oct/Nov for sure. Maybe even sooner if you think the bed was getting used again.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:35 am

You should be able to sneak back in there and kill him in a fews weeks if not sooner, unless he get harassed more in or round that bed. You getting busted that one time proves to the buck that he has a safe bed and it works the way he thought it would.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:28 am

You just never know. I bumped a buck a few years ago out of his bed. He never went back to that bed. I killed him 1/4 mile away couple weeks later. We can write the books, but the bucks tell the story.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 am

The best bedding sites will always be used yr after yr (unless something drasticly changes).... once you find them you know where to set up yr after yr...

That buck might not return... but another one will at some pt
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:19 am

If I only lived closer than 4.5 hours, from this spot, would be grand. I'd just watch from afar after work a few nights.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:35 am

I would definitely give it a try if the wind is right.... I remember what Andrae says in one of the dvd'.... that buck feels that his bed ,worked for him because he got away safe, so why wouldn't he use that bed again?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am

Lets take this a bit further- say you bump this buck, do you go find his exact bed, sit in it, find your ambush tree, trim lanes, etc? Or get out ASAP and come back next week?

I can see positive attributes to either decision you make. If you go find the exact bed, sit in it to see what he sees, note winds you need, find your tree, etc, you're setting yourself up for a kill iIFhe returns, but with all the pressure he may not return this season.

If you got out ASAP and made mental note of general locations (ie general area of where buck was and general location you should set up) I'd say the buck is more likely to return, but your likelihood of getting a shot of the buck would theoretically go down.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:44 am

huntinsonovagun wrote:Lets take this a bit further- say you bump this buck, do you go find his exact bed, sit in it, find your ambush tree, trim lanes, etc? Or get out ASAP and come back next week?

I can see positive attributes to either decision you make. If you go find the exact bed, sit in it to see what he sees, note winds you need, find your tree, etc, you're setting yourself up for a kill iIFhe returns, but with all the pressure he may not return this season.

If you got out ASAP and made mental note of general locations (ie general area of where buck was and general location you should set up) I'd say the buck is more likely to return, but your likelihood of getting a shot of the buck would theoretically go down.

I'm there... my scent is there... I figure out how I'm gonna hunt it. Pick tree, entrance, exit. Rarely do I cut limbs unless I absolutely have to... if I cut limbs out of a tree I'm gonna hunt I take them out or far away on exit. I don't leave them at the base of the tree...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:16 am

andreas tactics also state if you know a buck s bed and you bump him you can sit a stand on that bed because until that buck comes back its a "virgin sit" ... granted you need to be getting on the buck that next day or next coke days waiting for him to return ...when he returns because once he comes back and smells you he will be gone...I do not have this mastered but andrae covers this tactic in the dvds

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”