ATV use and scent control

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

ATV use and scent control

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:17 am

My new house has a ton of old logging trails/quad trials right behind it. My dad had given me a utility quad to use at my house since I am so close to these trails. I also jumped back in the saddle with climbing trees, and becoming more mobile. I am typically insane with scent control practices and always dress in the field.

I have found two pretty decent spots on the ridge behind my house where I can walk to my house within 10 minutes of climbing down the tree. My other hunting areas are about 2 miles or so away but could be easily obtained by getting on a quad and driving to them. I want to hunt both and my typical routine would be to walk to the spots behind the house, hunt until I want to switch spots. Get down, walk back to the house, undress, get into the car and drive to the other spots, then walk about a half mile into these spots.

WIth the ATV i could still walk in at least a minimum of 500 yards or so to the spots, but get on and drive to the other spots, or new hunting areas

My question is this:

IF I get on the ATV to go to the other spots will this not add exhaust scent and such to my clothing? I mean cover scent works and all but I am worried that if I drive on the quad I will be jeopardising my "scent free" approaches to hunting.

The benifit would be more time in the tree, less time between set ups. I always hunt the wind, but every bit helps with scent control, IMO.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
dreaming bucks

Re: ATV use and scent control

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:31 am

I don't think I would worry too much about exhaust fumes on your clothes.... If a buck can smell that from your clothes, he can smell you also. Just my .02

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:38 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I don't think I would worry too much about exhaust fumes on your clothes.... If a buck can smell that from your clothes, he can smell you also. Just my .02

Agreed. I'd be more concerned about the noise (audible alert) from the ATV than exhaust fumes. If its possible, I recommend someone drop you off, so any target animal hears the noise leaving the area.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:39 am

I wouldn't worry about the Exhaust smell; deer aren't scared of exhaust smell they are scared of your human scent. I think you will be fine.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:53 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I wouldn't worry about the Exhaust smell; deer aren't scared of exhaust smell they are scared of your human scent. I think you will be fine.

I think this has merit. The area and buck I am targeting were surrouned by a poker run yesterday and about 1,000 quads. Might be over thinking this, Trying to scout this new area has been tough, because of the baby. Took a walk yesterday in the middle of the poker run to check out an area I found in the winter. Figured that now would be a good time with all of the other commotion. Found large tracks walking an abandon tram road. Followed the tram and found deer were still using it. Found some decent sized tracks but nothing like the big ones of winter. Both sides of the tram are really grown in, but I did manage to find a tree I could climb with a small opening in front of it. There is a water hole just below this spot as well. The only down fall is I could only climb up about 10' or so. I have good back cover. I cleared out some of the brush in front of the trail and would really only have one opportunity. I left some brush that the deer would not be able to see me, and I could draw.

There is a decent sized patch of stand of pines behind me, and a large field to my rear. The abandon tram skirts these pines, and is a small bench with a smaller ridge to the top. To my right is a steep ridge with a decent deer trail coming up and joining with the tram road from the bench below. I am hoping the deer do not come from this because they would be right under me. In front of this is a point, with a few brush piles and I believe this is where the buck will bed. He has access to a water 2 water holes, the field, and a few oaks on the ridge. All of the houses along the bottom of the mountains have a ton of apple trees dropping and I feel that many of the deer will be hitting this at night and working back up the ridge in the morning, then walk through this spot again in the morning.

The top of the ridge is very very thick and would provide cover. Really hoping this spot pans out. I did find a few rubs along the grown in tram road. The rubs made it appear the buck would walk towards my stand and to the field.

I will be accessing this spot from the ridge below and walking into the tree. I will need to hunt a cross wind and be above the deer to get them using the tram.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:15 am

Yes riding an ATV will give you some exhaust smell, maybe a few other little added smells. I know guys that drive up to the base of the tree and climb up and hunt (I highly don't recommend this). The thing about scent control; you have to control the scent the buck can smell, not eliminate your scent. If you go from point A to point B without your scent reaching the buck what does a little exhaust stink hurt?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:58 am

I think that more time in the stand outweighs the potential negatives of a little exhaust. The goal is to be upwind anyway and the further I get into my hunting career the more I pay attention to wind and the less to scent control. maybe thats just me though.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 am

Access and wind trump what you smell like... the deer will key in on audible alerts though
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
SouthernHunter

Unread postby SouthernHunter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Stanley wrote:The thing about scent control you have to control the scent, the buck can smell not eliminate your scent. [glow=red]If you go from point A to point B without your scent reaching the buck what does a little exhaust stink hurt?[/glow]

:P Can't argue with that.....Once again Stan...well said!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”