Rough Footage of Opening Day..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasman

Rough Footage of Opening Day..

Unread postby Chasman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:50 pm

Public land opening day hunt. I learned a lot from this hunt. Found this area last year only about 70yds off dirt road backed up to a creek that leads into a smaller marsh. Once in stand I was not happy. People on horses going down road talking laughing having their good time, hunters shooting 22 very close by, trucks going down road, along with a few 4 wheelers. I almost got down because I was thinking this is crazy. And then a nice 2.5 year old ten walks out right where I thought he would. Not a care in the world. Footage is very bad. I did not have much time to decide to shoot, got bow, decided not to shoot then tried to get some footage. He went through so fast, he wanted to get to where ever he was going. Must have been hungry. Now I second guess myself a little. Maybe should have shot. Is my estimate of a 2.5 year old right? I hope!
[bbvideo=425,350]http://youtu.be/Xut-eucIm5U[/bbvideo]

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: Rough Footage of Opening Day..

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:46 am

Isn't it amazing how they adapt to all the commotion around them. Sounds like you found a good spot.
I'd gues 2.5

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 am

You've heard the saying shoot first ask questions later!!! Ha ha just kidding.... Nice buck, i'd guess 2.5--3 yrs old, crazy how deer will put up with all that commotion, I almost think they find security in it personally...I've had a couple instances in the last few years where I've kicked up bucks outta their beds that were'nt more than 75 yds off a major road... It was during the rut they were bedded with a doe they catch you by surprise because they were so close... I passed on both of them they were 6 pointers, but that woulda been way too easy if they woulda been bigger... Keep doin what your doin... Looks like it works... Good luck!!

bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:34 am

I would have shot him, but that buck would be on the bigger side for the area I am hunting. Looks like you were pretty high up there though, and being that it was opening day, you have a long time to see him again. Good call, and one I could not make :)
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:46 am

8-)

Nice work.... I'd say 2yr old.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:09 am

Another vote for 2.5 year old. Albeit, good stuff!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:27 am

:handgestures-thumbup: I vote for 2.5
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:18 am

I was pretty sure a 2.5. After stopping footage and getting a better look I hope this guy makes it through gun. Not likely. Or least maybe stay put for a couple more weeks if nothing is happening elsewhere I may get another look at him. I was actually thinking a bigger buck would show after he came through. Did not happen.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:14 am

Chasman wrote:I was pretty sure a 2.5. After stopping footage and getting a better look I hope this guy makes it through gun. Not likely. Or least maybe stay put for a couple more weeks if nothing is happening elsewhere I may get another look at him. I was actually thinking a bigger buck would show after he came through. Did not happen.

You are on the right track... keep scouting and hunting and you will kill a bigger one!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 am

Yup, 2.5 year old. No doubt in my mind. He should be a good one next year for sure if he makes it. I would love to see him in two more years.

When you were describing all the commotion I started to grin because I had a feeling what was going to happen next. Good job getting some footage of him.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Awesome! That point when you have to decide to shoot or film is critical If you want to get the shot on film and good/decent film while self filming. If you decided to shoot make sure you get some decent film of him right when you see him then focus in the spot you think your going to kill him and get your bow ready. If you don't make up your mind pretty fast it can get real hectic and you will be going from camera to bow a lot. That makes for a rush shot and crappy film. I've been there a lot, you just have to make up your mind. Its a lot harder said than done though. Also if this is an option keep extra batteries or buy a bigger battery so you can have the camera on the whole time. The only thing you have to do when you want to film then is hit record. It is much easier and faster that way, you won't miss much. Cool spot though, a bigger one might set up in there when the pressure heats up, who knows. Maybe its worth another hunt later in the year. Good luck. :mrgreen:
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:43 pm

The most important thing is you set up perfectly. The deer never knew you were there. Looks like a great spot.

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Great set man!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”