jeff murray's moon charts website ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dirt nap giver

Re: jeff murray's moon charts website ?

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:30 am

Not everything on this earth has to have an explanation. Why do elderly people freak out on a full moon? Why does the police records spike during a full moon? How can we ask for proof of something when we are not willing to spend a ten spot to look into it for ourselves? It's $10.00! Try it once! I don't see the charts being sold on this site. I didn't see Jeff when he was alive doing major sponsorships and I surely don't see his wife Corrie doing them now. If we are asking for evidence to apply for our own benefit, spend the $10 and give it a chance. Before we split a hair, we need to be willing to diligently look at both sides, other wise there is no sense in splitting or commenting on it. It's not like we are asking someone to pull their retirement and invest here. These are non biased opinions here. I use it and I have tried my best to put my finger on the logistics of it...yeah, have better things to do. It works! Life is busy, I want my time in the woods to be productive. I want to hunt all the time. Some days are better than others...$10 for a leg up on productivity...BRING IT!

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:35 am

dirt nap giver wrote:Not everything on this earth has to have an explanation. Why do elderly people freak out on a full moon? Why does the police records spike during a full moon? How can we ask for proof of something when we are not willing to spend a ten spot to look into it for ourselves? It's $10.00! Try it once! I don't see the charts being sold on this site. I didn't see Jeff when he was alive doing major sponsorships and I surely don't see his wife Corrie doing them now. If we are asking for evidence to apply for our own benefit, spend the $10 and give it a chance. Before we split a hair, we need to be willing to diligently look at both sides, other wise there is no sense in splitting or commenting on it. It's not like we are asking someone to pull their retirement and invest here. These are non biased opinions here. I use it and I have tried my best to put my finger on the logistics of it...yeah, have better things to do. It works! Life is busy, I want my time in the woods to be productive. I want to hunt all the time. Some days are better than others...$10 for a leg up on productivity...BRING IT!

Well said dirt nap giver. It's $10 try it once and if you don't see an increase in movement when you hunt by it. Then its not for you. Just move on from your experience with it. Personally I tried it for the first time last year and it really worked well for me. As long as they keep coming out with them I will keep buying them simple as that.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:05 am

:oops:
Last edited by Indianahunter on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:22 am

Dude, PM me next time.

Let's get back to the discussion... My intent isn't at all as you described - just read back and it's plain to see that. My intent is simply to drive conversation here and influence some ideas to carry this topic further. If everyone just read Dan's initial response and said, "well, if he says so.." we'd learn nothing and I'm sure Dan can attest to that.

Since Dan has a lot of information on why deer move more during a 1/4 and 3/4 moon, I figured I'd ask Dan to do his best to describe WHY.

I'm not discounting the idea, but this isn't Facebook, it's a discussion forum meant for that purpose so take your soap box to bed with you, but leave it under the covers.
Last edited by Sam Ubl on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:31 am

"As far as Dawn, it was a joke because of her scientific reply. I do not know Dawn, and apparently you do. I also have no idea what she was talking about as I have never personally researched it. I have read about Photoperiodism though. I would assume we have read the same research data as there are very few actual "scientific" research materials on the subject. You are either a very experienced and educated wildlife biologist, or someone who likes to regurgitate information that few have done the research on themselves in order to satisfy a state of elitism amongst peers. I say this because you are doubting the intelligence of Dawn in comparison to Tiffany because she simply suggested another scientific reference. You may be the deer hunting omniscient wonder we have all been waiting upon to enlighten us. I do not know you so I will not comment against your actual intelligence.It is possible to present an argument without being rude to others. I don't include myself in the "Others" because I don't care how you feel about me after seeing how you treat others.[/quote]
DID I MISS SOMETHING HERE? I took that as a compliment..thank you!!! I have a degree in biology, so I do know a few things :D I actually did a study with rats on Circadian Rhythm, I kept those little bugers in light for days, eventually they slept :lol:

Do I use moon charts? NO but sure love to hunt when there is a full moon or moon light for that matter..everybody/everything can see better longer :shock: !!!
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:54 am

I apologize to Sam for the mis-understanding. I was clearly wrong about his intentions and regardless does not give me the right to publicly criticize the opinions of anyone. I am sorry.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:47 am

Geeeese... You guys get to uptight sometimes :lol:

I know when deer activity peaks... But I don't know why.
Why is a good question, but one I dougbt will ever be answered fully. I believe it has something to do with gravitational pull. Don't really know.
Its kind of like when your using a blue jig and the guy next to you is using a purple one otherwise identical to yours. He is outfishing you 4 to 1... You switch to purple and you start catching em to. Why do they prefer purple? I don't know, but if I see proof purple works better, thats what Im using.
Maybe if you google the subject, you can find us some therories that the bioligists who did studys came up with....

Lets all please remember to be respectful to each other, even if we dissagree. Everybody has a bad day, or has somthing going on in there life, and might occasionally say something they regret or should of kept to them selves. We are all hunters striving to learn as much as we can. We are not going to agree on everything. But thru debate of these topics we can learn from others if we keep an open mind, and respect others.
Sam Ubl
500 Club

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 am

Agreed, and touche` to the point of going with what works.

I've done a lot of theorizing on why moon phases create some peak fishing times, and I'll share those views to sort of get the creative juices flowing.

I've read into gravitational pull as the sun and moon play tug-of-war and considered how much this concept plays a role in mid-western lakes. While we don't see a rise or fall of tide on small bodies of water, there has to be an explanation as to why bigger fish are on the move at these "peak" times.

My theory? The idea that larger fish have larger swim bladders and the idea that the gravitational pull may bloat the bladders seems possible. That said, it makes sense that this discomfort would force bigger fish to move around more, sort of like digging spurs into a horses side. Because someone suggested these moon periods as "peak" times, many anglers target those peak times to be on the water. The numbers and size of these fish speak for themselves when considering the moons affect on them. So, while the big girls spend the majority of their time laying low or riding the couch, when that moon is new, full, or rising, these majors sure do ge them off their a$$ and thus, more susceptible to the fisherman.

Again, this is just theory, but it's logical.

So how do we use this kind of thinking when talking about deer movement? Is it something within their body that keeps them on their feet? Or is it as simple as a visual thing with the suns reflection off the moon, casting more/less glow on the earth and making for a brighter or duller night? We know deer find safety under the blanket of darkness, but what do they prefer? Dark or darker?

I'm considering more now than just deer alone. Let's consider predators for a moment... Do deer base movement and feed times off of intuition based on predator activity for sure? It has to be partly due to that, but when does the owl hunt? By night, and so does the coyote - because they know that's when prey comes out. So do we need to look at how the moon affects predators before we can make a guess on it's affect on deer? What if deer move in response to some other beings movement, such as predators...

So the verdict is in - everyone believes the moon plays an inaugeral role in peak deer movement during certain phases. But confidence is key when you take to your stand, and I'm looking more forward to testing these peak times out with some hypothesis as to what I'm expecting to see rather than sitting, hoping and wondering what I'll see.
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:56 am

WOW! you guys are WAY smarter than me! I just heard it worked, read the book and decided to spend the $10. Used it, liked what I saw and adopted it to the . I didn't spend that much time considering it. If I bought and found it to be full of dunga, then to the trash. That was the extent of my research. You guys make my brain hurt!
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Sam Ubl
500 Club

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:04 am

No worries DNG, mine does too. I look at it this way, there are guys who catch a fish, celebrate with a high five and picture, and their back to casting. Then there are those who catch a fish, do the celebrating but never forget to analyze what they were doing right to catch that fish. Same goes with hunting ;) I used to pick a good tree for a stand where I found some tracks nearbye and wait. Sometimes I'd get lucky and have deer come in, but most of the time it was just time "well wasted". Now, the passion has taken grasp of my intellect and I don't want to be just a hunter anymore, I want to be a smarter hunter. . . Have a wall like Andrea and Dan's :)
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:21 am

I dont have a clue how these charts work or even how to apply the info it gives you.What for every day it gives you an actual time of day when it predicts peak deer movement.I guess what im asking are some days so overwelming peak during shooting hours?Or are most just your half hour before or after sunrise/sunset?Or does it just give the day and then a ranking such as poor/good/excellent/deer movement?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:35 am

Goldtip, it peaks the time when the moon is directly above or below you regardless of the time. I think the the info is best utilized to catch big bucks returning to bed in the morning late, or out a little early in the evening. However, it did come in use well when hunting private land with a high population and getting out there earlier when the phase said that movement would be earlier because even though the mature bucks were not out at say 2pm, the young deer were and I did not want to spook them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”