tracks no scat

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

yungbuck
500 Club

tracks no scat

Unread postby yungbuck » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:25 pm

is it to late to scout beds?... scouted new property and founod tons of tracks but very very very little poop and it was not fresh.. what does this mean.. tracks we re older and many filed with leaves but doe and buck tracks from many different deer

[ Post made via Android ] Image

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
fishlips
500 Club

Re: tracks no scat

Unread postby fishlips » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Never too late to scout, but probably tough to scout and set up on it now.

Hard to tell what that all means without knowing what kind of terrain you are scouting.
upwind
Facebook: www.facebook.com/josephwrealty

Unread postby upwind » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:02 am

If this is the youngbuck I know? Than the terrain scouted was an old growth hardwood river bottom. The south edge of the river bottom is primarily hardwoods with crop fields to the south while on the north is mainly marsh with some hardwoods and a few crop fields on the western/eastern/northern edges. Deer tracks and older rubs were interspersed within the scouted area. I would love further insight into the area.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:51 am

I remember someone on here saying "If i dont dive in to where i think the bucks are and try to read some sign, some other jackwagon probably will." i was in similar shoes as u last fall and wish i would have scouted more and hunted less. The fastest way to learn about bucks is to scout them IMO. If u are sitting and hunting and not seeing bucks what have u got to lose by scouting some bedding, at least u will probly get to see something and the knowledge u gain is so valuable.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:57 am

Also i would read the old tracks and dried up poo as an indicator of a food source that was hot two weeks ago but the deer have moved to acorns or some other food source now. Was this area near a bean field?

upwind
Facebook: www.facebook.com/josephwrealty

Unread postby upwind » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:17 am

There is several bean fields and other associated ag fields on the outskirts of the area of interest. The river bottom is definitely traveled and most likely occupied at different times during the year. Appeared though that currently wasn't "active"

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:26 am

If I am in season scouting I have my bow, stand and sticks.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:31 am

Sounds like a good area that has everything it needs to hold deer IF it has good enough bedding cover for a mature buck to prefer. Bucks may be hitting different food sources but still using the same bedding area. Also im not sure where u are but with the dry weather, fresh sign is MUCH harder to see. Could be hotter sign than it appears to be. Low elevation wetter areas are easiest to find fresh sign in dry weather. I would recommend sending a topo and aerial map to an expert on here ( not me) to find suspect buck bedding areas

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:49 am

I generally like to set up an observation stand so I can see what's happening without going in and buggering the area. The buck could have changed food sources, and that will change his travel route. A lot depends on how much ground you have to hunt. If you have many other places you could scout heavier now and hunt later. My low impact mentality works best if your hunting ground is small and limited. In my thinking if you are going to go in and look, do Like Zap said and take a stand and sticks with you. You can scout all you want but if you aren't hunting you won't kill one. My motto has always been; scout when you can't hunt. Deer season is only so long and you have to be hunting, during deer season to be successful.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:36 am

It's a new property we just gained access to and u think e are going to scout it one nite time and then hunt it... like upwind mentioned its a river bottom that's very flat and has crops to the south and north east... it holds some good size tracks and I saw 3 deer the day we scoutedd out so we know it's got em but we were lost as to why the doe beds had such little hair and why we found such minimal scat

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”