How quiet do you Walk

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Re: How quiet do you Walk

Unread postby WKPTodd » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:10 am

This is something I take much time considering when picking a stand sight. How am I going to sneak in here with a buck bedded within 100 yards? If I can't imagine pulling it off, I find a different spot to concentrate on.

I have to tote a cameraman, stand, all the extra equipment, and scent into these areas. Killing mature bucks on-video (good video) is a whole new level. I think about just sneaking around the woods alone without worrying about the camera and it would be so nice! he he...

This is much of the reason why I do less run & gun these days and more pre-season set-ups.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:21 am

Good point Todd. I cant imagine trying to lug camera equipment and sneak in quiet. Lungbuster has told me a couple times that he wished I could film some of my stalks, There is no way I could do it (maybe a hat cam, but I stink as a cameraman).

I didn't know where this topic would go, but now I think I should dig up a post from last year, where I put a decibel meter to a walk I took and discussed deer hearing in a little more detail.

Also, I have never been taught by a true Indian how to stalk like Milkweed, but I do what Southernman does as well sometimes and put the front part down first. Guess there is more than one way to sneak around.

Also, seems some agreement on the effort to be quiet, but I will add [glow=red]quiet is a mindset[/glow] (why not pull out the glow text on that)
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:36 am

Found the discussion I was talking about.

It was called Sound Information
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14798&hilit=How+quiet+are+you&start=30

Very good discussion on sound
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:48 am

walking on dry leaves is like walking on potato chips. All you hear is the crunch.

The only time I found to walk on leaves is early in the morning when they are wet.

Might as well wear moccasins when walking through leaves.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:07 am

wmahunter wrote:walking on dry leaves is like walking on potato chips. All you hear is the crunch.

The only time I found to walk on leaves is early in the morning when they are wet.

Might as well wear moccasins when walking through leaves.

On dry leaves the only other thing (besides slow mo) you can do is wait for cover noise. Planes, trains, car traffic, or if really remote, wind gusts, birds (crows and jays are great cover sounds), squirrels, etc., and take a couple steps every noise.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:28 am

I had a spot once I was trying to get to. It was really loud and dry. I actually took my boots off and walked in my socks. Carried my boots to the tree I was going to. IT REALLY HELPED me to be quiet!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:46 am

Some people are quiet, some are not. I've thought about super big slip on socks to put over my boots for my trek in.

I'm pretty good about being quiet my 2 buddies are like cattle no matter how hard they try.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:39 pm

I go out hunting much earlier than most people when hunting evenings. I give myself a lot of extra time so I'm not rushed; I slow down and try to make my moves and routes very deliberate. It's kind of hard to slow down at first, but it's all head games for the most part.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Learned again tonight that my slow is still not slow enough. Between much boot sloshing noises and stepping on sticks, I made a tone of noise from being in a hurry to get to the stand. If only I could schedule everything around my hunting schedule!
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:04 pm

heal to the outside edge to the toe with a walking stick... this gives your foot time to recognize noisy leaves and twigs that will snap and the walking s tick allows you to hold weight differently and really enables you to make intentional steps... good for getting closer to turkeys in the dark and getting to tree stands

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:26 pm

I try to really focus on foot placement and the amount of pressure on my front foot.

Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:39 pm

I walk very quietly, where I have problems is my stand getting hooked on everything trying to maneuver through thick brush areas that can't be avoided.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:24 pm

muddy wrote:Some people are quiet, some are not. I've thought about super big slip on socks to put over my boots for my trek in.

I'm pretty good about being quiet my 2 buddies are like cattle no matter how hard they try.

There been a couple of times when walking in on super dry leaves and no wind I have taken my boots off and walked back in socks. Makes a huge difference.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:04 am

muddy wrote:Some people are quiet, some are not. I've thought about super big slip on socks to put over my boots for my trek in.

I tend to agree with that. I have walked with some youths and other hunters and when the clinched teeth " what is wrong with you" stare for the 10th time doesn't quiet them down, might be no helping them.

yungbuck wrote:heal to the outside edge to the toe with a walking stick... this gives your foot time to recognize noisy leaves and twigs that will snap and the walking s tick allows you to hold weight differently and really enables you to make intentional steps... good for getting closer to turkeys in the dark and getting to tree stands

I thought you were going to the - use a walking stick to poke the ground after 2 footfalls to break up the human cadence. Years ago I read in Field & Stream, to use a walking stick to sound like a third footstep and throw off the human cadence. Long time ago and going from memory, but I thought it was thud, thud, thud, Pause, repeat. The hunter walked into a bedding area where he felt noise couldn't be avoided and did it successfully
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:22 am

I have found this out- trying to walk slowly and quietly but failing at it blows deer out. IMO (in my observation) youre better off running if you can do so. Another thing i tried based off some old Nordberg books, esp for areas you cannot pre clean or go in quietly BUT have to reach is to use a walking stick at a different rhythm than our human walking cadence ...anything that sounds like a sneaky person hurts your efforts to those in ear shot....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”