How quiet do you Walk

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

How quiet do you Walk

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:00 pm

I went for a walk today and wish I grabbed the decibel meter instead of the binocs. I could have documented some sounds for everyone. I did that last year and detailed background, sticks breaking, footsteps, etc. (just not good at searching topics).

I went out today alone and gave it a lot of thought after my walk with a duck hunter last week. I was walking twice as fast as him and about twice as quiet. I couldn't believe the racket he made walking.

So here is my point, walking in is about as important as anything in the set up for hunters especially treestand hunters. While walking we encounter a variety of conditions as we get to the stand site. We walk grass paths, gravel, marsh, woods, thickets, snow, leaves, and others.

Grass and grass paths: This is one of the more quiet conditions you can have, especially wet grass. I try to make time in these areas, but still like to be quiet. Other than watching where you step, this is pretty easy to be quiet. Other than dragging heels and stomping, it is the easiest.

Gravel: this is a tricky walk, other than slowing down and walking a bit flat footed, but not too flat footed, you want to not come down hard and hit the front part of your foot flat to be quiet. You also have to watch when it isn't real gravelly, but a bit of sand with some gravel. Sand is pretty quiet too, but when you crunch a little gravel you have to watch it close.

Sand trails: I was walking in sand and was watching for gravel chunks, but in finer sand you are mostly OK. But today I was setting my feet down to barely make a print. You can still move fairly quick, but have to watch it. Walking flat footed or coming down on the front of your feet does make a difference.

I talked about walking in squeaky snow this last winter. I had to slide my feet into it when there was a fresh inch of snow in about 10 degrees or it would squeak. Also very slow walking.

Leaves: dry leaves are noisy. You have to slow down or wait for some cover sound. Rustling leaves or windy conditions help, so do passing cars, trains, plains, crows squaking, etc. Try for some cover sound and slow down.

Walking in woods: brush racking off you and breaking sticks make the most noise. If you are tense as you put your foot down you can feel the stick before you snap it.

Marsh grass: With water splashing and noisy marsh grass rustling off you, you have to slow down and keep your feet in the water.

Dan talks a lot about going slow, but I have found after a couple miles of walking if you are not getting yourself exhausted going slow you are just not trying hard enough. They say deer hear better than humans and the next time you see someone walking in the woods before you hear them stop and watch them to see how far away you can hear them, if possible. This will start to give you an idea of what you may be able to get away with.

Here are some pics from my walk.

And a little scenery

So what say you, any tips or tricks on walking to your stand quiet?

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Brad

Re: How quiet do you Walk

Unread postby Brad » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:18 pm

I sound like a bull in a China shop with my size 13 boots. Compared to my wife I'm as elusive as Sasquatch, she makes a TON of noise walking. I'm usually good until I hit dry leaves.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:38 pm

I got yelled at quiet a bit when I was younger for making too much noise walking in the woods. For this reason, I'm always looking at the ground looking for a good place to gently place my foot.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:I if you are not getting yourself exhausted going slow you are just not trying hard enough.

So true Lou, walking super slow is much hard than going at a normal or fast pace. I just about always work up a good sweat going as slow as possible. Much harder work than one could ever imagine.
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Im way too loud in my size 13 rubber boots, this is something im really trying to work on.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Slow and methodical... Each foot fall is thought about when approaching the kill zone.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:23 am

This is something I'm going to struggle with this year....I like to get where I'm going and it's hard for me to slow down when I hit the woods. I learned to slow down this spring when I was scouting so hopefully I can transition during the actual hunt too.

I have to remind myself that when I'm out in the woods, all I have is time. I was reminded of this before when I came to full draw on a buck when he got behind some brush. All he had to do was take one step into the opening but he must have caught some movement because he stopped and refused to move until he knew it was safe. I was forced to let down and I could not believe how long he stood there assessing the situation. Every time there as a noise, his ears would swivel in that direction and he would periodically check the wind when it shifted directions....he eventually turned back and went back where he came from.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:27 am

When I was a kid. A Cherokee Indian taught me to "stalk". Step with the heel of your foot 1st and slowly roll the outside edge of your foot to the front of your foot. Go slow, and if possible walk on large rocks and such that will not make sounds. Taking your time and looking at where you step are most important.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:47 am

I like all the different methods listed, good stuff.

My most preferred is like Dan said, slow and think about your next step you take.

I have success in oak filled ridges walking slowly but adding a squirrel type noise in my approach. A squirrel usually will do a hop, hop then do a little digging searching for acorns. I try to mimic this sound, to date, this allowed me to stalk to my biggest gun buck. He had no idea I was even there...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:10 am

I really take a lot of effort in walking while hunting.

I know each of my steps are planned an carefully placed. When I step on leaves that has a twig snap under it, I know that is an automatic couple of minutes I will not move! Even while moving as silent as possible, I stop every 20 yards or so for a minute or two.

I was taught this by my dad. I can still to this day remember my dad using the wind and walking me up to a bedded doe......and I wasn't in even in school yet!
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:15 am

Milk Weed Seed wrote:When I was a kid. A Cherokee Indian taught me to "stalk". Step with the heel of your foot 1st and slowly roll the outside edge of your foot to the front of your foot.

That is my normal gait and I ruin shoes because of it. They all get "walked over" on the outside and the back outside of the heel gets wore off. The roll action really quiets things down, along with paying attention to speed.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:25 am

One thing I forgot in my earlier post... Plan your path. Look ahead, look for quiet areas, think about the rought that will be the quietest...

This is something I'm going to struggle with this year....I like to get where I'm going and it's hard for me to slow down when I hit the woods. I learned to slow down this spring when I was scouting so hopefully I can transition during the actual hunt too.

Believe it or not, I have had issues myself... I think its a problem with everybody in todays fast paced society. Everything is done in a rush... My way of combating this is to stop about 100 yards or so from the tree and sit down for 10 minutes and let my body and mind slow down. Then when I get back up I have no problem going slow.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:48 am

Oppisite to what milkweed said, I read once to step with the ball of your foot first and then the heel. Kind of walking backwards if you get my meaning, not heel first. It's actually hard to get use to but will make you slow down and allow you feel what's under your foot before putting your weight down.

One thing I've noticed as I've gotten older is balance. The older I get the less balance I have and that makes a difference in goin slow and quiet. Maybe it's due to uneven weight distribution :mrgreen: I don't know if there are excersizes that can help balance but seems like keeping your lower legs strong would be key. Balance does make a difference.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:21 am

You guys and your size 13 boots...try walking though the woods in size 15 EEEE boots like I have to lol j/k.

One tip I have learned - if you are covering relatively open terrain try putting an old pair of socks over your boot. Other than looking goofy it can help deaden some noise. In briars and such it just snags things though. The sole of your footware is important as well - the harder and thicker the sole, the more noise you will create.

dan wrote:
Believe it or not, I have had issues myself... I think its a problem with everybody in todays fast paced society. Everything is done in a rush... My way of combating this is to stop about 100 yards or so from the tree and sit down for 10 minutes and let my body and mind slow down. Then when I get back up I have no problem going slow.

Good advice Dan - I think almost all of us have problems slowing down from life in general speed to hunting speed.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:34 am

I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago so couldn't do my planned weekend side work. I had to do something so I decided to scout an area I hadn't planned on hunting....Canoe in...

I moved very slow. Each footstep was deliberate because if I didn't have the best possible footing my ankle would twist and I'd get a jolt of pain.

I saw more deer within 10 to 15 yds than I have on any scouting trip,ever. Granted,they were all does and there was a ton of sign in the area,but I expect I'll put some meat in the freezer from that area...Still hunting while my ankle's still sore enough to keep me slow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”