How quiet do you Walk

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

Re: How quiet do you Walk

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:23 am

stopping and waiting after any extra noise is a must if your not using the other tactics.

raking your entry path in the middle of the night, or better yet a rainy day when things are noisy and leaf litter is soaked is a great tip too

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:30 am

gjs4 wrote:I have found this out- trying to walk slowly and quietly but failing at it blows deer out. IMO (in my observation) youre better off running if you can do so. Another thing i tried based off some old Nordberg books, esp for areas you cannot pre clean or go in quietly BUT have to reach is to use a walking stick at a different rhythm than our human walking cadence ...anything that sounds like a sneaky person hurts your efforts to those in ear shot....

I agree with this 100%. The deer seem to know when your up to something or just passing through, I've seen this 100's of times and I've used it to get deer on more than one occasion. One time in particular was a bed on PL near parking, I knew the buck was there but the only way to get to him was to walk right past in a hurry like all the other hunters and then I circled back around behind him and down wind. I didn't get the buck that night but I did successfully set up on him.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 am

Badger wrote:
gjs4 wrote:I have found this out- trying to walk slowly and quietly but failing at it blows deer out. IMO (in my observation) youre better off running if you can do so. Another thing i tried based off some old Nordberg books, esp for areas you cannot pre clean or go in quietly BUT have to reach is to use a walking stick at a different rhythm than our human walking cadence ...anything that sounds like a sneaky person hurts your efforts to those in ear shot....

I agree with this 100%. The deer seem to know when your up to something or just passing through, I've seen this 100's of times and I've used it to get deer on more than one occasion. One time in particular was a bed on PL near parking, I knew the buck was there but the only way to get to him was to walk right past in a hurry like all the other hunters and then I circled back around behind him and down wind. I didn't get the buck that night but I did successfully set up on him.

I agree to a point... You gotta know when to sneak and when not too... Taking your scenario, walking past like everyone else was a great plan, and one I use a lot, especially in places deer expect people to walk. However, when you circled around, and were coming in on your set up close to the bucks bed, its sneak time in my opinion...
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:06 am

dan wrote:
Badger wrote:

I agree to a point... You gotta know when to sneak and when not too... Taking your scenario, walking past like everyone else was a great plan, and one I use a lot, especially in places deer expect people to walk. However, when you circled around, and were coming in on your set up close to the bucks bed, its sneak time in my opinion...

Absolutely agree, I should have been more specific. I walked past the buck quite a ways but as soon as I was far enough away to enact my plan It was full sneak mode from there on in. I just needed him to think I was going where everyone else usually goes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”