You have the bed, the wind....now how early do you get there

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

P&YBuck1
500 Club

You have the bed, the wind....now how early do you get there

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:31 am

You have everything in place, the buck bed location, the proper wind to hunt and you know how long it will take you to get to your setup at your ambush site. How early do you like to be at your spot with bow in hand ready to go, say legal hunting ends at 6:30pm? Do you like to be setup and ready a hour before or much earlier?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: You have the bed, the wind....now how early do you get t

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:40 am

P&YBuck1 wrote:You have everything in place, the buck bed location, the proper wind to hunt and you know how long it will take you to get to your setup at your ambush site. How early do you like to be at your spot with bow in hand ready to go, say legal hunting ends at 6:30pm? Do you like to be setup and ready a hour before or much earlier?

Good question... I would say at least a couple hours early preferably, however, if you have short attention span it may be better to get there later, of coarse you need to consider the amount of disturbance and the amount of bumping risk. Cause if you make a loud noise an hour before dark while the buck is bedded but alert its a lot different than making a loud noise 4 hours before dark when the buck is drowsy and will have time to forget about it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:45 am

Tommorow is opening day so I will be heading in by noon for my evening hunt. I like to allow extra time on my first day to get back in the swing of things and just enjoy my time on stand again.

Normally I like to be set up at least 3 hours before prime time so I don't feel the need to rush. Any noise and your hunt is over before it even starts.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:56 pm

As early as possible after the noon hour unless the wind is shifty. I like the extra time for things to settle down. Its more time for a deer to forget about a possible unusual sound during entry or set up.

Even if you are extra quiet and slow walking in, I find it takes at least an hour for the woods to behave like you were never there.
str8shooter

Unread postby str8shooter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm with dewey, I always shoot for a minimum of 3 hours before last light. That way I take my time and don't rush which is huge for my own personal confidence if nothing else. Tonight I slipped into the edge of a farm to glass about an hour and a half before last light and there were deer on their feet and moving in the fields already. slipping into a stand 2 hours before last light tonight would have been impossible.
Find his shed, find his bed, use your head to make him dead.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Earlier the better, generally like 3-4 hours before prime time but have worked with less many times. I will always sacrifice stand time for a quiet approach. Been a few hunt where I only get 1 or 1.5 hours on stand but still felt I was in the game. It had backfired a few times too because I ran into deer on the way in but just have to roll with it when you have limited time.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:30 am

I preferr to be in my set early. Early bird gets the worm. Early hunter kills the buck...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:32 am

2.5-3 hours early plus any added time to setup...

We will see on the 15th if it worked ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”