My best spot first

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

My best spot first

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:18 am

Some people I talk to where I live tend to leave or rest their best spots for the rut. Honestly, before I found this site I thought the same thing.

The way I see it now is that we members from Wisconsin will have a great opportunity to tag out on a big buck early season season within the next few days. Opener is tomorrow! :dance: Where I hunt which includes private and public bucks will be less pressured and perhaps still on summertime routine. Why pass the opportunity on an average setup?

Anyone else plan on hitting their best spots first?

Bucky

Re: My best spot first

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:19 am

I'm going for the kill tomorrow PM
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:24 am

I can't hunt until Monday afternoon when the wind changes for my best spot. Yes, I will be perched just above the cattails waiting for him to close the 75 yard distance. :pray:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28 am

There really isn't a single hunt outside hunting with the kids that I am not going out for a mature buck. Event if things aren't quite rite for some of my better spots I will hunt some new ground with the intent to get on a mature deer any way possible.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:30 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Some people I talk to where I live tend to leave or rest their best spots for the rut. Honestly, before I found this site I thought the same thing.

The way I see it now is that we members from Wisconsin will have a great opportunity to tag out on a big buck early season season within the next few days. Opener is tomorrow! :dance: Where I hunt which includes private and public bucks will be less pressured and perhaps still on summertime routine. Why pass the opportunity on an average setup?

Anyone else plan on hitting their best spots first?

I don't hunt my rut stands until the rut, so I guess I am resting them :lol:

I always pick the best bed/transition to hunt in the early season. Best in my opinion is not only governed by potential usage by a target buck, but also by wind, hunting pressure (personal and surrounding), weather, etc. The only exception is the second week in October for me. I don't mind resting my favorite local hoping to stack my odds in the pre-rut.
Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:31 am

My "best" rut stands I typically don't hunt until late Oct
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:37 am

Hunt your stands that you scouted for buck beds now. Hunt your rut stands during the rut. By that I mean hunt the down wind side of doe bedding- during the rut, funnels- during the rut.......you get it. Hunt the buck where he lives now, it's going to be your best shot. Especially on public land.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:45 am

As others have alluded to - These are likely exclusively rut hunters. They don't hunt beds and therefore their "best" stands are the rut spots. The beast method utilizes the entire season and adapts accordingly, therefore every hunt is a 'best' spot for the given conditions.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:26 am

BuckyHunter13 wrote:As others have alluded to - These are likely exclusively rut hunters. They don't hunt beds and therefore their "best" stands are the rut spots. The beast method utilizes the entire season and adapts accordingly, therefore every hunt is a 'best' spot for the given conditions.

That's what I meant. I should have clarified hunt your best spots or beds for the weather conditions, food source etc.

You won't see me hunting rut funnels this weekend. :lol: I guess I will rest them too.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:44 am

I am hitting my best spots this weekend. No better time than right now to set up on an unsuspecting buck still for the most part on his late summer patterns. These are spots I have a history with multiple mature buck sightings over the years and known primary bedding areas.

Thinking about a ground hunt as well in a treeless area depending on what the wind does. Had some great action there last season.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:00 am

it dont look like il have the wind i want sat. eve. but looks like im gettting it sun. eve. (so far) at least for my land
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:04 am

I have grteat early season stands, and great rut stands... They are different.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”