Eastern shore maryland

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Craaaig

Eastern shore maryland

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:20 am

Anybody have any experience with hunting Eastern shore maryland?!! Its pretty flat, lots of beans, some corn, lots of thick pine and scrub brush. I do not know the preferred browse, bedding, or anything for that matter. Im decent at marsh beds but there's little marSh here, i want to hunt beds only, so if anybody has any experience with beds in this area i would appreciate it! Am i still looking for specific beds in this type of terrian? Wrong time to scout but i have no choice so let me know! Iim gonna be out stomping around for the next couple days! Season opened sept. 6th

[ Post made via Android ] Image

phade
500 Club

Re: Eastern shore maryland

Unread postby phade » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:18 am

I hunted the eastern shore of VA about 10-12 years ago, same thing...good quality deer hunting there. Dog clubs have been an issue from time to time.

It's no different than hunting in ag land. I too thought there would be more marsh. Very little of it on the ground I hunted, but if you have access to one, check it out. Could make for a solid bedding area that many hunters may avoid instead of setting up along field edges or in the woodlots.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Craig, I have a buddy that hunts that area. I will e-mail him your post and get back with you asap.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks a lot man i would appreciate it! There's some good ones in the area but i just got here so im trying to make up for lost time! Haven't even hunted yet, just trying to figure out how the bucks are surviving here. Lots and lots of thick cover, i dont have a clue here in maryland. Not yet at least! Thanks!

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:44 pm

I considered a hunt this year, just couldn't put it together.

Really wanted to find a localized travel companion to split the vehicle expenses on a yearly hunt to help build some miles on the area, but my friends are too busy...
I even tried enlisting Spysar but he likes to travel a greater distance for his reward - LOL! :mrgreen: ;)

I'd be interested in swapping notes with what I found so far and try this approach for 2014 hunting season...?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:09 am

Here is what he said...

This early if I were him I would be trying to catch them near the food sources. Sometimes I use a few hunts simply as recon. Set way off and just try and see what kind of deer are hitting the beans and corn when it's cut. if he's not wanting to hunt near the food then he can likely catch a ton of deer on the shore on the edges between marsh and pine thickets and late season when the weather gets cold they like wind blocked corners/pockets on the in the marsh that get good sun. If any of the scrub brush and pine thickets are between the marsh and any corn and he can hunt right after the corn is cut I would hunt those edges between the marsh and the pines/scrub hard then. The deer lose so much cover so quickly at harvest it forces them into the closest good cover.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:49 am

Cool thanks for the advice, I'll be here all of september and then might be back in late October!! I'll let ya guys know if i put anything together!! And ed, if i figure them out at all I'll let ya know everything i learn while im here!

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 am

Craaaig wrote:Cool thanks for the advice, I'll be here all of september and then might be back in late October!! I'll let ya guys know if i put anything together!! And ed, if i figure them out at all I'll let ya know everything i learn while im here!

Thanks man!

PM me if you want some web research and a few hunting areas that were suggested to me...
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:39 am

I live in eastern shore MD. What county will you be staying in? There are marsh areas along the lower end of the bay the only difference is they are salt marshes. Also you have the added bonus of hunting sika deer down there. You won't find huge expanses of cattails in that area. The salt marshes will be short native grasses or an invasive grass called fragmitis. What I have found is that the bucks relate to the large areas of fragmitis in the same manner as Dan describes in the cattails. They will be bedded on a piece of higher ground within the frag that will have trees or groups of saplings growing on it. The trails to and from these beds will usually be well worn. As far as the ag areas are concerned, you can expect to find the same things you do on ag land in any other part of the country. Any questions you have feel free to pm me

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:59 am

Are there any critters to be aware of?
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:48 am

Maybe the occasional coyote

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:23 am

Thanks everyone! Found some marsh beds in queen anne county, and lots of good sign. Lots of good sign in wocomoco county, Having a hard time finding beds here though.

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Any idea on date the rut heats up Here? I'll be here end of October for as long as i want!

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Craaaig wrote:Any idea on date the rut heats up Here? I'll be here end of October for as long as i want!

Same as the Midwest. End of October should be hot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”