Early Season Cool Temp Effects

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BuckyHunter13

Early Season Cool Temp Effects

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:52 pm

They're forecasting temperatures that are far cooler than average for the last few years. I'd love to hear some insight and observations from guys that have been hunting smart for a while now. Will this hasten the buck dispersal? Is it going to force acorns to drop, or force the deer into the woods to hammer acorns? Combined with the good moon, opening morning (and weekend) may be a great opportunity and I'm just wondering where I should focus my energy. Do I hunt oak stands or off field edges? Will they be moving a lot more, assuming they've still got their summer coats and can move all day without overheating.

Curious to hear the experiences and start finalizing a game plan.

PLB
500 Club

Re: Early Season Cool Temp Effects

Unread postby PLB » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Acorns will be the food source in the bigwoods I concentrate on. I do not hunt in the oaks though I hunt very close to bedding on a transition. If you want to see lots of does and little bucks the oak ridges is the place to be. I only am after mature deer. Yes they eat acorns too but after dark....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Oaks are doing great this year so that's a great place to start. Try to get some info on the bucks on when they are feeding on the acorns though.. early season like this the mature bucks are usually.. usually hitting the oaks after dark. That's only my experiences on my properties. I would locate the transitions around the oaks that bucks may be using for travel from the bed. Did you do any winter/spring scouting in those areas?
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Perfect timing for the upcoming cooler weather.

BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:02 am

I didn't do much as far as winter and spring scouting. I just found the beast in June, and I was actually traveling from Feb to May almost nonstop anyhow. I've had cameras out since June, checked them each once back at end of July, all does traveling through the oak stands. The one good oak stand location I've got is over a mile from anything and adjacent to a dogwood/marsh type funnel. I could possibly set up off this funnel anticipating this to be the first point of entry.

I will get out early and run through my card first maybe?

Are field edges a worse choice at this point? I've got a secluded clover field I can get about 150 yards off of out toward a hardwood point on a marsh. This spot should see good traffic.

As for mature deer-Without locating them yet, I'm interested in being in a position to 'get lucky'. I know where a number of doe beds are, which should allow me to rule these spots out for mature buck movement right now.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:31 am

Secluded field edge(s) can work opening weekend especially with a cool down... the only problem is usually beating multiple sets of eyes and noses first... (does and immature bucks b4 a decent one will show). The other problem then becomes exit, how do you get out without blowing everything up and alerting the deer they are being hunted.

Best to slide back off the field and hunt the transition... that way you can exit without too much damage. Again access is critical to keeping things fresh
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:19 am

I won't be able to hunt again until the last weekend in September, so I expect that this will be a one-shot hunt, at least through mid-October. It looks like a wind switch from SW to NW, which will make some of my decisions for me anyhow. I guess the biggest thing I was wondering is if deer will still be out in the fields with a 20-35 degree temp drop happening this early in the year. I don't plan to set within 100 yards of the field itself, but knowing they're still using it will help me decide whether to hunt this spot or a more big woods spot.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:30 am

BuckyHunter13 wrote:I won't be able to hunt again until the last weekend in September, so I expect that this will be a one-shot hunt, at least through mid-October. It looks like a wind switch from SW to NW, which will make some of my decisions for me anyhow. I guess the biggest thing I was wondering is if deer will still be out in the fields with a 20-35 degree temp drop happening this early in the year. I don't plan to set within 100 yards of the field itself, but knowing they're still using it will help me decide whether to hunt this spot or a more big woods spot.

Worth a shot... if you're after a racked buck I think acorns are a better bet close to thick cover
Last edited by Bucky on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:51 am

Bucky wrote:
BuckyHunter13 wrote:I won't be able to hunt again until the last weekend in September, so I expect that this will be a one-shot hunt, at least through mid-October. It looks like a wind switch from SW to NW, which will make some of my decisions for me anyhow. I guess the biggest thing I was wondering is if deer will still be out in the fields with a 20-35 degree temp drop happening this early in the year. I don't plan to set within 100 yards of the field itself, but knowing they're still using it will help me decide whether to hunt this spot or a more big woods spot.

Worth a shot... if your after a racked buck I think acorns are a better bet close to thick cover

This is my exact plan. I have a good buck bedding in some thick cover right now next to a stand of oaks, I will be on the edge of that for sure this weekend for my opening night hunt, I have good access as well. We shall see.....
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:31 am

I'd be happy with a doe this weekend, but if I can expect the bucks to head to the acorns I will hunt the secluded oak grove surrounded by thicket and marsh if I get this NW wind, and hunt the hardwood/marsh funnel off the field with the SW wind. I don't have a great SW wind spot off any oaks.
MnHunter

Unread postby MnHunter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:27 am

The acorns and apples are falling like crazy here - Probably more to do with the extremely hot and dry weather we have had.

Every part of water around the property I hunt is dried up. The creeks, ponds, everything - That is surely going to effect the deer movement.

We have gotten significant rain the last 2 days but are still in a serious drought. Thankfully, the temps cool off this weekend for opener!
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:38 am

Anyone else with an opinion on [glow=red]oaks vs field edge[/glow]-- particularly if the temp drop changes where you would hunt. Or any other pattern changes they expect to see in the next few days (aside from going hard horned and dispersing).
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:41 pm

What is in the filed as far as food?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:12 pm

ozzz wrote:What is in the filed as far as food?

Clover. The southern edge of the field is obscured from the road by a slight crest of a hill in the field, and the back corner is quiet and the clover is really heavy. Went in around the last week of august.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:26 am

Nice little 45 degree bite in the air this morning. Love it! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”