Entry

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lostinstateforest

Entry

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Below is a map with a situation I am facing. The bucks bed is in yellow, wind is blue, thermal is pink and the ornage indicates a direction the deer would never use other than maybe an escape route during rifle season. It is just so nasty it is impassable and the map may not accurately represent the cliff the lies to the between the bed and the orange box. The deer move East ,northeast, and north when leaving the beds depending on time of year. I enter this area by the black double dotted line from south to north then turning west(where the thermal starts) to the ridge top.The question is if I intend to hunt this deer in the evening the thermal will ruin me if I enter from the east correct? So is the proper setup to save this stand for all day hunts by entering before daylight or wait until the deer beds in the AM but before the thermal warms up or pass the thermal and head east where the roads(black dotted lines) converge and head east then until ridge then walk south back to the bucks bed?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Re: Entry

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:35 am

Can you use the trails to the north of the bed to access?
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:56 am

BGHUNTER wrote:Can you use the trails to the north of the bed to access?

Not possible. Only available approach is to come in from the south on the black dotted trail. I can walk it till it converges with black dotted road running east to west.

~ Dr. John Goetsch
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:05 am

If that is truley your only access I would walk casually like a hiker or whatnot, do not look toward the bed and act as if you are just passing through. go in early and wait for the evening hunt, if you walk past at 10-11 am hopefully by the time evening falls the buck will have forgotten you even passed by or feels you should be long gone. Just because the buck smells you does not necessarily mean he will bust out or even change his evening pattern, especially if he only smells you for a few moments. Does this land get pressure from hikers or joggers?
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:52 am

DropTyne wrote:If that is truley your only access I would walk casually like a hiker or whatnot, do not look toward the bed and act as if you are just passing through. go in early and wait for the evening hunt, if you walk past at 10-11 am hopefully by the time evening falls the buck will have forgotten you even passed by or feels you should be long gone. Just because the buck smells you does not necessarily mean he will bust out or even change his evening pattern, especially if he only smells you for a few moments. Does this land get pressure from hikers or joggers?

This particular spot gets almost zero pressure from hunters,bikers or hikers. The map makes it look as though there are trails near this area but really the nearest trail is a few hundred yards and at most a biker may go flying by in the spring but that's it. No one hikes these areas or camps or even really bikes. Its just to far from any access and it offers very little for anyone other than a hunter escaping reality. The parking lot nearest this is about 2 miles of up and down hill before you can even began to access this area and it is just so nasty you can't even navigate it. I also have never seen a another car in this lot during archery and the bikers and hikers go else where bc the trails that are here are not worth the effort.

~ Dr. John Goetsch
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:11 am

Can't you come in from a little farther East so your thermal don't hit the buck?

If not it would be a midday entry with a steady walk past the buck and then a j hook to the stand position or skip the spot all together.
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:15 pm

dan wrote:Can't you come in from a little farther East so your thermal don't hit the buck?

If not it would be a midday entry with a steady walk past the buck and then a j hook to the stand position or skip the spot all together.

Anywhere other than the white line that has been added is thick mountain laurel that you have to crawl through. The only open area is ever the thermal is, so its either enter through the thermal before its warm enough or pass the stand heading N and then turn E and back track S.
Confusing stuff
White line is the access route I must take with 2 options to the x marking the stand site
~ Dr. John Goetsch
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Would a buck use that spot with any other wind? I don't think you can hunt it with a west wind based on the access, if the thermals are as you say. A NW wind of some kind might over-ride any thermal activity moving straight up slope in that spot, might push air down the ditch you are walking next to and push thermal activity more to the south...might. Thermals are tricky, sometimes they are straight forward moving right up slope and sometimes they do different things...the only way to find out is go out there and check air currents along your access at a reasonable time for an evening hunt.
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:01 am

JoeRE wrote:Would a buck use that spot with any other wind? I don't think you can hunt it with a west wind based on the access, if the thermals are as you say. A NW wind of some kind might over-ride any thermal activity moving straight up slope in that spot, might push air down the ditch you are walking next to and push thermal activity more to the south...might. Thermals are tricky, sometimes they are straight forward moving right up slope and sometimes they do different things...the only way to find out is go out there and check air currents along your access at a reasonable time for an evening hunt.

The wind in the picture is west to east. I feel the deer would use this spot with west to east, east to west and north to south. He has himself bedded against a steep cliff on the south side, which doesn't show on the map well. I feel this is area off little concerned for him as far a threat due to the terrain design. When leaving the bed he will head straight north or north east. South isn't and option for him and neither is west due to a steep ditch to the west and again a hatch travel direction that I feel would only be used as a means of escape. Lastly directly east of him the hill drop off about 100feet into a thick laurel which is a doe bedding area and Northeast of him is nice oak ridge, with the thermal he should be able to scent that all day but once the thermal dies he will no longer be able to scent it but with his bed location he can see for hundreds off yards west to east. For me to enter this spot I need to be there before the thermal or have a north to south wind...I think. I am still unsure if the goes into the wind on the way to bed(east to west) if he would leave the bed traveling west to east or travel heading NE without a thermal or wind. Confused again haha

~ Dr. John Goetsch

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”