A pit blind...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Maple_Ridge

A pit blind...

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Had a thought tonight after glassing a decent buck in an open field. Has anyone ever dug a pit blind in an open field or something similar? Just one of those spots with zero shrubs/trees/cover. Straight up alf-alfa field.

Wondering if this has been done before, seems like it anyways.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

1 John 2:15 - read it
ehlusive

Re: A pit blind...

Unread postby ehlusive » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm sure but I know those fields like that here the landowners would be upset if I did that.

Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Ya, wouldnt say it would work everywhere.

This was on grandpas farm. And I wouldnt even try it there. Only on my own land if I thought it would work.

1 John 2:15 - read it
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:46 pm

You will enjoy this story Dan relates. It involves a pit blind. I'm pretty sure you could get it to work.

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1339

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:06 pm

I have done it before, but it can be hard to get off a shot in the open while they are feeding at eye level with you. Especially if there are several deer, but it does work.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Call me crazy but I have often thought of constructing a mirror blind for such a situation. Properly angled toward the ground the mirror would reflect that surface and appear as though nothing was there :think:
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Dabowhunter good idea call it the ghost blind get a big name hunter from Texas to endorse it. Lol. I had to I'm sorry man.

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Maple_Ridge wrote:Had a thought tonight after glassing a decent buck in an open field. Has anyone ever dug a pit blind in an open field or something similar? Just one of those spots with zero shrubs/trees/cover. Straight up alf-alfa field.

Wondering if this has been done before, seems like it anyways.

Not a pit blind but I have used a low hole in a ditch once in a field to kill a buck. Worked nicely. Was only a small 6 pointer but still, it worked. Weeds along the edge made for some good cover.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Dabowhunter wrote:Call me crazy but I have often thought of constructing a mirror blind for such a situation. Properly angled toward the ground the mirror would reflect that surface and appear as though nothing was there :think:

They sell those ya know....
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:55 am

I have had a some what similar situation where a buck was bedding in a tip of a waterway in the middle of a cornfield. In the evening he would just stand up and start to feed and never had to travel. I was going to use my waterfowl hunting layout blind and cover it in corn stocks. Then just see how close I could set up, but he vanished on me. Im sure if you covered one in alfalfa and use a little bit of terrain in an open field it could get interesting.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:14 am

I've done it along the edge in a drainage ditch. Never closed the deal though. Missed a doe once out of the set up when I was younger and shooting instintive. Shot over her back and sent the arrow into the next 40!
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:04 am

Dabowhunter wrote:Call me crazy but I have often thought of constructing a mirror blind for such a situation. Properly angled toward the ground the mirror would reflect that surface and appear as though nothing was there :think:

I was at a banquet last year and won a ghost blind, which is essentially what you are describing here. At first I thought it was a total gimick and was planning on selling it asap but when I set it up to check it out I was actually quite impressed. I am not sure how easy it would be to shoot from but I know there are guys on AT who have successfully executed a bow shot from it. It could be amazing for gun. I dont hunt around a lot of fields but plan on using it this year on a hunt or two just to be close and at ground level- maybe with a decoy.

I remember listening to Greg Miller talk about his son taking a bruiser buck out of a Dakota bean field by laying in an impression they dug and then using a guille suit. If I remember correctly it was a bit of a long shot since he spooked the buck but he made the shot count.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Cool story w/ pit blind...

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1339
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:20 am

binney59 wrote:

I was at a banquet last year and won a ghost blind, which is essentially what you are describing here. At first I thought it was a total gimick and was planning on selling it asap but when I set it up to check it out I was actually quite impressed. I am not sure how easy it would be to shoot from but I know there are guys on AT who have successfully executed a bow shot from it. It could be amazing for gun. I dont hunt around a lot of fields but plan on using it this year on a hunt or two just to be close and at ground level- maybe with a decoy.

I remember listening to Greg Miller talk about his son taking a bruiser buck out of a Dakota bean field by laying in an impression they dug and then using a guille suit. If I remember correctly it was a bit of a long shot since he spooked the buck but he made the shot count.

Darn, another idea that I never acted on. A friend of mine invented a device that mounted on your bow. It opened like an umbrella providing cover for stalking etc. I believe he sold it to a company right before he died.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”