what does a bed tell us...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lostinstateforest

what does a bed tell us...

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:19 pm

Today while scouting and area I don't intend to hunt anytime soon I discovered a deer bed with in 50 yards of where I thought it would be according to some topo prep work. Now, I know the spot is right on the map, the spot looks good in person, and the wind is perfect for deer safety as far as thermals and prevailing wind direction. My luck is I can access this spot successfully in about an 1:30 mins. Its deep on public ground and I could get there in 40 mins but with wind directions I would take a much longer route. I now know most of what I feel I need to know to enjoy a hunt in this area but here is the questions...

What did the bed tell me?? It was full of white hair, it was the only one I saw in the immediate area but I backed out due to finding what I needed to find, but I suspect there were more beds for different winds. The area didn't have loads of deer sign but its near loads of deer sign.

I watched the videos,studied the maps, and found the beds but what does it tell me. Do I know its a buck's bed? Do I known its a mature buck's bed? Do I know if its a bed used regularly? Do I hunt it at night or morning? When do I hunt it?

I am not asking you to answer these questions but to help me know how to answer them. Also this is in about 60,000 acers of state forest with acorns for miles and cover for miles, in this area terrain dictates any type of travel "pattern" in my opinion.

Thanks j

[ Post made via Android ] Image

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: what does a bed tell us...

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:13 am

What did the bed tell me?? It was full of white hair, it was the only one I saw in the immediate area but I backed out due to finding what I needed to find, but I suspect there were more beds for different winds. The area didn't have loads of deer sign but its near loads of deer sign.

I would of attempted to find all the beds, especially if you don't intend to hunt there anytime soon.

Do I know its a buck's bed?

If its a lone bed at an elevation that gets thermal and wind as you described, its a buck bed.

Do I known its a mature buck's bed?

If its in the best spot, its being used by the best bucks in the area, if its in a satalite spot off to the side it may be a young buck... Its important to remember these beds are shared by multiple bucks and the biggest (or at least most dominant) that shows up in the morning gets the best bed. That don't mean occasionally there won't be small bucks bedding there, or even an occasional lone doe.

Do I know if its a bed used regularly?

The amount of wear should give you some indication... But there are differing types and uses of beds. The more you look at them the better you will get at reading the timing of there usage. I have been doing this for over 30 years and still make some errors in judgement. Primary beds are the ones that are in the perfect spot and get used all year, but there are food based beds that are only used when a certain food is in a certain area. Some are only good on acorn years, others when a certain browse is available... Then there is pressure beds that get used most when hunting pressure is heaviest... There are also rut beds that are placed specifically to pick off does.
Rule of thumb if you don't know what you have is to hunt it once early, once rut, and once late, and see what happens. These beds produce on about the same timing every year, or every other year based on there uses.
Do I hunt it at night or morning?
I would opt for evening... Mature Bucks tend to get back to there beds prior to daylight, and come in very cautious. However they leave there b eds with plenty of daylight left.
When do I hunt it?

Once early season, once late season, and once pre- rut, unless you have a good grasp on when its being used. If your set up is within 100 to 150 yards I would say anytime the wind is right. But, if terrain features kick you back to farther than 150 yards I would wait for a weather fron or moon condition that will have the buck moving earlier so you get a daylight crack at him without burning the bridge.

I am not asking you to answer these questions but to help me know how to answer them. Also this is in about 60,000 acers of state forest with acorns for miles and cover for miles, in this area terrain dictates any type of travel "pattern" in my opinion.
Hop from bed to bed hunting new spots all the time and you will do good. You don't have to know the travel patterns well, you just need to know where they are exiting there beds. The closer you hunt to them the better.

All of these questions are answered in the DVD'S, its just easy to miss them cause they are so long.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:55 am

Good questions --> good answers!

What state/region?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:04 am

dan wrote:

I would of attempted to find all the beds, especially if you don't intend to hunt there anytime soon.

Do I know its a buck's bed?

If its a lone bed at an elevation that gets thermal and wind as you described, its a buck bed.

Do I known its a mature buck's bed?

If its in the best spot, its being used by the best bucks in the area, if its in a satalite spot off to the side it may be a young buck... Its important to remember these beds are shared by multiple bucks and the biggest (or at least most dominant) that shows up in the morning gets the best bed. That don't mean occasionally there won't be small bucks bedding there, or even an occasional lone doe.

Do I know if its a bed used regularly?

The amount of wear should give you some indication... But there are differing types and uses of beds. The more you look at them the better you will get at reading the timing of there usage. I have been doing this for over 30 years and still make some errors in judgement. Primary beds are the ones that are in the perfect spot and get used all year, but there are food based beds that are only used when a certain food is in a certain area. Some are only good on acorn years, others when a certain browse is available... Then there is pressure beds that get used most when hunting pressure is heaviest... There are also rut beds that are placed specifically to pick off does.
Rule of thumb if you don't know what you have is to hunt it once early, once rut, and once late, and see what happens. These beds produce on about the same timing every year, or every other year based on there uses.
Do I hunt it at night or morning?
I would opt for evening... Mature Bucks tend to get back to there beds prior to daylight, and come in very cautious. However they leave there b eds with plenty of daylight left.
When do I hunt it?

Once early season, once late season, and once pre- rut, unless you have a good grasp on when its being used. If your set up is within 100 to 150 yards I would say anytime the wind is right. But, if terrain features kick you back to farther than 150 yards I would wait for a weather fron or moon condition that will have the buck moving earlier so you get a daylight crack at him without burning the bridge.

Hop from bed to bed hunting new spots all the time and you will do good. You don't have to know the travel patterns well, you just need to know where they are exiting there beds. The closer you hunt to them the better.

All of these questions are answered in the DVD'S, its just easy to miss them cause they are so long.

Thanks so much. Those answers all make great sense.

PS I watch the videos with a baby on my lap, so I miss a lot lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Good discussion!
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:26 pm

There is lots to learn, i enjoy posts like this... good stuff..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Sounds like a good scouting excursion, good luck!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:46 pm

It tells you the same thing any other deer sign tells you, a deer was once in that spot. It is up to you to decipher when, why and how the deer are manipulating that spot and if there is any vulnerability.

P.S. I literally cannot count the amount of times I have watched the videos and seem to pick up little points I missed everytime, or understand something better.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”