Hunting Bucks in the City ( looking for some insight )

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BuckTrack81

Hunting Bucks in the City ( looking for some insight )

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:01 am

We all know that once the orange army invades in the fall the deer seem to hunker down somewhere, in most places I've lived there always seems to be a little brush thicket here and there amongst subdivisions etc. im talking about areas that go from 5 acres - up to 40 acres, im almost embaressed to even post this up because of when scouting these areas I knew the deer were hanging out somewhere but didn't think " there" if u know what i mean... Ive got a few places in mind that im referring too, places where from the outside looking in u would wonder how would a deer even get into this mess, because its like thicker than thick, just flat out nasty, so anywho once you venture inside about 50 -100 yds which takes an eternity it seems like to get into and a million scratches later it opens up into trail networks that go everywhere, so when looking at it i thought ok, its a big boarding house for does, but then i started looking at the tracks and realized some pretty decent bucks are hanging out in here, not sure of what the headgear looks like but by looking at some of the old rubs, has to b more than basket racks because of how not only the tree there rubbing is tore up but the saplings around it are also, so this is where i need some input, I know there are deer here.... I know there are bucks... I know they bed down in places like this during the day, and roam back yards at night... But my problem is there are so many trails which one to use and when do i use it, there is no agriculture anywhere where i live, so i cant set up a camera where there feeding nor can i shine or spot deer because there feeding in peoples back yards etc. so here is what im thinking about doing, going in on a rainy nasty windy day, i found a little opening where i can set up my assualt, in a 12" poplar, surrounded by pines, and get a few 10 yd chip shots off, and its only about 50 yds into this mess... I was thinking of putting in a mini food plot and making them come to me.. About 10'x 5' area... Which would b about 75-100 yds from where i belive i found some secondary bedding...with 3 good sized beds ( input on what u would do, i have no maps of the area because its just nastiness, and back yards and streets all the way around it.., experiance on similar situations??? And can a buck with a decent rack finagle his way thru such nonsense....) all input would be much appreciated... Thanks in advance... Ill try to post some pics up of the area from the outside so u get an idea of what im talking about..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting Bucks in the City ( looking for some insight )

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:11 am

I hunted similar terrain... Bucks will bed the same way they do in bigger areas. Ridge points, edges, over looked areas, etc... If your looking at extremely thick areas, look at the edges where there is little human intrusion. bucks will bed down wind of the thick, looking out at the more open terrain.
Does will bed deeper usually.
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:31 am

I took 3 random pics of the same spot just moving forward 20 ft each pic to give you an idea of what im talking about

BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:32 am

BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:33 am

BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:42 am

Ok Dan, in your experiance whats a time frame to hunt something like this ... Early season, do bucks move out of areas like this once the rut kicks in?? Or stick around more if they have enough sweethearts to keep em company Or do you even think more deer will come in once pressure from the ouside areas gets more intense... Such as rifle season... I think i really only have a few shots at this before they would be onto me and what im up too... Ive never hunted it before and went in there one time on a rainy day about 2 weeks ago thinking the rain would cover my tracks just to see if my hunch was right that deer would be in there..

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:18 pm

I would hit it early, rut, and late... Just space your hunts and change where you sit.
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:00 pm

Much appreciated, ill use your advice and keep you posted on how it works out.. Thanks again...

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 am

I hunt some very urban spots similar to this. I can't spotlight or anything like that or I would be spotlighting front yards like you had mentioned. Trail cameras are great for these areas. I like to point them at interesting trails and try to pick out where the deer are coming from and at what time they come around. You also have to use the neighbors activity to your advantage. I have a spot that on nice weekend days, the deer stick to certain trails because they know that people are or will be out in their yards so they can't go out and feed early. I've even learned what week days a neighbor mows his yard and gets close enough to the woods that the deer get up and move. Urban hunting sometimes requires you to think outside the box! Good Luck!
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:47 pm

I don't hunt any urban spots but around here it's pretty populated and there is lots of pressure. When you find those spots where deer seem to be stacked you need to let them have those areas and just hunt now and then. I wouldn't be trying to plant food plots and booger it up. Those deer are there because that's where they feel safe. Hope you kill a nice one!!!
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:10 pm

Ok, thanks for the input, I haven't been back in there, and i think im gonna roll the dice on this spot and not put a trail cam out because of where they bedding and where i plan to sit, i have been keeping an eye on the sides of the road in the gravel for tracks leading in and out of this area, it appears to me to be 100% bedroom, so i think im gonna wait till early season, get dropped off on a overcast day with a light drizzle and set up an ambush with thee ol L W assualt ii , and make it happen, if u havent looked into areas like this u might b missing out on some good hunting....i cant wait to find out for myself... Good luck and thanks again for the input..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”