Help with LW stick set up?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arrowbender
500 Club

Help with LW stick set up?

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:46 am

Now I have set up my Alpha and assault many many times and have gotten pretty close to some bedded bucks with out them suspecting a thing, but I am curious if any of ya'all have a little trick to help quiet down the snugging of the stick.

I normally try to get the strap as straight and perpendicular to the stick while tightening. I then gently pull the stick down while pulling it out away from the tree, then lift it to perpendicular again while pulling the strap tighter. I then pull on the stick very hard away from the tree as i pull it down. This will usually set it tight enough so I don't get any slip when I step on to it. But; I find that it is going to make some noise when it is slid down the bark; and, if you don't get it tight enough with a controlled slide down the bark, I will get an even louder grinding noise when it sets itself from my first step.

Sooo.... the reason I ask is.....My best chance for my target buck for the opener is to set up in some red or Jack pines. These have some pretty shaggy bark. Read noisy! The up side is I am confident that I can get to with in 70 (maybe less) yards from his bed undetected.
The key to my calling him to me is to be close to him. This pine grove is just outside of his safety zone and is a great transition for him to follow to the beans, (but not his normal route).
I think I can get a crack at him but those darn sticks can bellar pretty good if not tightened and they like to creak while getting them there.

Any tricks out there?

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Help with LW stick set up?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:54 am

Get set up early and take your time. Slowly, I mean really slowly put your weight on the sticks to seat them. You may still get some noise but it will not be the loud type you get whem you just step on them. Those Pines are one of the toughest to get set up quietly in, good luck.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 am

Go early and go slow. I pull the strap as tight as I can and then push down with my hands on the top 2 steps. Makes a little noise but nothing I ever thought was too much. You should grab a stick and find a jack pine and just practice setting it as quiet as you can?? That way you are confident come the opener.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 am

The only other option is to "shave" the tree during the off season. Take the back side of a pruning saw and bust off all the loose, noise-making stuff. I've done this on a couple sets over the last couple of years. I picked it from one of John Eberhert videos...probably the best set of videos behind Dan's.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:34 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:The only other option is to "shave" the tree during the off season. Take the back side of a pruning saw and bust off all the loose, noise-making stuff. I've done this on a couple sets over the last couple of years. I picked it from one of John Eberhert videos...probably the best set of videos behind Dan's.

Good point.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:39 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:The only other option is to "shave" the tree during the off season. Take the back side of a pruning saw and bust off all the loose, noise-making stuff. I've done this on a couple sets over the last couple of years. I picked it from one of John Eberhert videos...probably the best set of videos behind Dan's.

Very good idea! Thanks for the tip!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:45 am

Ugg those red and jack pines are killers, like climbing a tree with dry leaves for bark! Shaving them down a bit is a good idea but won't work for opener. I'd say get there early, go as slow as possible and hope for a little extra wind or background noise when you setup. Not sure what else could be done outside stealth stripping the whole tree.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 am

Great tip on shaving on the off season. That will be in the bag of tricks from now on.
I am planning on a little OJT with my son so that will provide some opportunity for me to experiment as well.
Thanks for the input.

binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:30 am

Love the tip about shaving down the bark- why didnt I think of that!?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:59 am

The "squeak" you get out of smooth bark trees is a lot worse than the bark noise... A PIECE OF CLOTH BETWEEN THE "V" AND THE TREE SEEMED TO HELP, BUT SEEMED LIKE A LOT OF HASSLE.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Watch for that squeak on birch trees, when I used to hunt out of a summit climber I tried climbing a birch one time and every time the teeth bit into the tree there was an extremely loud squeak. Haven't hunted out of one since.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:41 pm

I know exaxctly what you are talking about. It frustrates me every time it happens, which is alot when hunting in popples. I haven't tried it yet, but want to try sliding some rubber hose over the v brackets. About the only thing I can think of that will be silent. Honestly if I need to be absolutley silent I use tree steps. They are the quitest thing I have found.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:48 pm

dan wrote:The "squeak" you get out of smooth bark trees is a lot worse than the bark noise... A PIECE OF CLOTH BETWEEN THE "V" AND THE TREE SEEMED TO HELP, BUT SEEMED LIKE A LOT OF HASSLE.

Bow wax works too.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 pm

headgear wrote:Watch for that squeak on birch trees, when I used to hunt out of a summit climber I tried climbing a birch one time and every time the teeth bit into the tree there was an extremely loud squeak. Haven't hunted out of one since.

Never noticed that one. Thanks for the tip!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:54 pm

I think they breezed over the 'shaving' idea in the hill country video on one of their rut setups, they didn't explain it, but I knew what he meant from watching the Eberhart one previously.

This is a great trick I use a lot on long leaf pines. It gets really messy especially in hot weather. Never shave above chest level unless you want a face full of bark. Thatt may sound stupid but you will find yourself doing it when you are rushing...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”