Help with LW stick set up?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: Help with LW stick set up?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:33 am

dan wrote:The "squeak" you get out of smooth bark trees is a lot worse than the bark noise... A PIECE OF CLOTH BETWEEN THE "V" AND THE TREE SEEMED TO HELP, BUT SEEMED LIKE A LOT OF HASSLE.

If you got the whole season riding on this, I don't see how that would be a big deal. Shaving the tree and hoping you get the right spot in the offseason seams like more of a hassle and risk. I like the fabric idea. And if putting bow wax there works, that sounds like its worth a try. There have been a few topics on this stick squeak thing, you would think somebody would have solved this by now

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:13 pm

The shaggy bark tree and the smooth bark hard wood tree are two different animals. John Eberharts technique of shaving away the loose bark on a shaggy tree works great! It solves the problem.

The squeak from a birch or poplar will not be solved by scraping the tree bark. Covering the v bracket with any kind of tape (duct tape works) will solve that issue until the tape wears thru. I have sometimes wondered how a lone wolf stick set up with two batwings instead of v brackets would work on the squeaky smooth bark trees. The batwings cost $10 a pop so it would be at least a $20 experiment to find out how it worked. I may try it some time.

Another thought, the batwings are designed to fit a wider tubing than the climbing sticks. But, I have successfully added a batwing to an older assault with the skinnier tubing and it works just fine.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:29 pm

70 yards, you'll be fine.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Just a few days and we're gonna find out!
I'm pretty confident I can set up without busting.
I just raised the question because it so often seems that I get in soooo quiet only to have my sticks narc me out as I try to set them. Or so it seems. I can't really blame it on them. Just the noisiest part of the set up.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:56 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
dan wrote:The "squeak" you get out of smooth bark trees is a lot worse than the bark noise... A PIECE OF CLOTH BETWEEN THE "V" AND THE TREE SEEMED TO HELP, BUT SEEMED LIKE A LOT OF HASSLE.

If you got the whole season riding on this, I don't see how that would be a big deal. Shaving the tree and hoping you get the right spot in the offseason seams like more of a hassle and risk. I like the fabric idea. And if putting bow wax there works, that sounds like its worth a try. There have been a few topics on this stick squeak thing, you would think somebody would have solved this by now

Lou... How about making some socks out of micro-fleece that attach around the back of the stick with a rubber band or simalar attachment??? I would buy a set for my sticks...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 am

dan wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

Lou... How about making some socks out of micro-fleece that attach around the back of the stick with a rubber band or simalar attachment??? I would buy a set for my sticks...

I like it! Sign me up too!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:38 pm

So I got the LW to be able to set up in more trees than just a straight limbless tree that a climber requires..especially in pines.....I too get the squeak and rubbing sound on hardwoods and pines....the pine was TERRIBLE.....but the noise on hardwoods bothers me too....especially putting the step against the tree....the v bracket makes a slight metal noise against the tree....not as loud as hitting something against the metal but it bothers me.

I may try the duct tape idea...I also wonder about shrink wrap tubing like the kind that goes around the summit cables?
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:48 pm

Does the scratchy pine bark sound scare deer you think? Also, what about when cam locking, it makes a distinct sliding popping sound as it slides down the tree and grabs.....does this not scare deer, especially when close to a bedded buck?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”