Using the word "harvest" mortal sin?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: Using the word "harvest" mortal sin?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Im not the kinda guy who wants to try to make the anti hunting crowd happy. The fact is, you are not gonna do enough to make them think otherwise. They still will be the the nimrods they are and thats that. I guess, back then and hanging out with the old farts in our camp back in the early 90s, no one pranced around and boasted about smoking swamp donkeys and slobs. That kinda talk would most likely result in slap to the side of the head. I see the trendiness the hunting shows and magazines are conveying to our lifestyle and seeing more people trying to act and talk like Uncle Ted Nugent, or whoever acts like a total tool on their personal hunting vids on youtube. Pretty annoying to say the least.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:40 am

I don't care what term anyone uses.

However, I personally use KILL!
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Czabs wrote:Doesn't bother me if you use harvest, kill, slay, destroy...means the same thing in my head. To each their own. :mrgreen:

Funny I have way more trouble with the WWF versions of harvest EG "slay", "destroy", along with any number of wild TV inspired catch phrases. Head smacked, dirt nap? WTF is this? I have a hard enough time convincing non hunters that hunting isn't a violent, ultra macho, bloodthirsty sport without a bunch of other sportsmen running around trying to come off like violent, ultra macho, bloodthirsty weirdos.

Harvest is a pretty accurate term, kill is a pretty accurate term, double lung shot is an accurate term but "lay the smack down beast style?" Do the sport a favor and grow up. I don't remember who said it but I'll quote it anyways "The future of hunting will not be decided by the minority of people who are pro- hunting, or the minority that are anti- hunting, but by the majority of people who don't care one way or the other. As long as we use common sense and conduct ourselves in a maner that we can defend to these people we are safe." I'm sorry but a lot of this silliness I cant defend to anyone.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Exo, you really are around that many antis. Our country is in the shape it is because the Normal people have been quiet for a few decades and not wanting to offend anyone. I don't care what others think of what I do. I will do what is normal to me. If someone is so removed from reality that their offended by a phrase who really has the problem?

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Busch Light Bandit

Unread postby Busch Light Bandit » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:58 am

Not to make anyone mad, but I think this is a worthless thread. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Sugar coat it if you want, make it a gory mess if you want. I don't care. I like this forum for the information it brings to me to make me a better hunter, not petty stuff like this. Come on Beast, you' re better than this!
Last edited by Stanley on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Masked vulgar words are not permitted on the Beast site.
All good things come to those who shoot straight
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:04 am

Not all discussions on this forum will improve your hunting......

Nevertheless folks like to share how they feel about "stuff".
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:03 am

Zap wrote:Not all discussions on this forum will improve your hunting......

Nevertheless folks like to share how they feel about "stuff".

Yep
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:14 am

Busch Light Bandit wrote:Not to anyone off, but I think this is a worthless thread. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Sugar coat it if you want, make it a gory mess if you want. I don't care. I like this forum for the information it brings to me to make me a better hunter, not petty stuff like this. Come on Beast, you' re better than this!

Sorry mr. Bush light. I should have never started this thread. But I do see ALOT of other threads on this site that don't really help a hunter kill a big buck. Good luck this season. KiLL a slob

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:16 am

Busch Light Bandit wrote:Not to anyone off, but I think this is a worthless thread. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Sugar coat it if you want, make it a gory mess if you want. I don't care. I like this forum for the information it brings to me to make me a better hunter, not petty stuff like this. Come on Beast, you' re better than this!

THINGS THAT MAKE YOU SAY " :?: hhhhmmmm :?:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:18 am

john1984 wrote:

Sorry mr. Bush light. I should have never started this thread. But I do see ALOT of other threads on this site that don't really help a hunter kill a big buck. Good luck this season. KiLL a slob

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

70 replies, 5 pages of posts.....There is NOTHING WRONG with this thread and Dan and I are very glad you started it. Keep up the excellent posting. :dance:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:40 am

UPbowhunter wrote:Exo, you really are around that many antis. Our country is in the shape it is because the Normal people have been quiet for a few decades and not wanting to offend anyone. I don't care what others think of what I do. I will do what is normal to me. If someone is so removed from reality that their offended by a phrase who really has the problem?

I'm not around that many antis, I'm not worried about antis, I don't really care how the antis feel. But I'm careful to conduct myself in a manner that does not create more antis. We've got a major PR problem as hunters, its way harder getting permission from land owners these days, the only hunters that the apathetic majority hears much about are the slobs and poachers, the dummies that shoot their partners or leave animals to rot after cutting off the antlers. As a result things are getting harder for us. When I am representing this sport, as a hunter, I try to conduct myself in a manner that leaves a good impression with the general public. We hunt, we kill animals, that is our sport and I wont try to dumb that down, but I don't think going out of my way in an attempt to be overly graphic ( or whatever it is that the WWF style goofyness is supposed to accomplish) is necessarily a mature or responsible approach. Yes its just wording but do you guys realy get that much enjoyment out of infusing street style slang into our sport that its worth furthering an inaccurate and unflattering image that the world is slowly adopting in regards to hunters?
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:13 pm

You say this, but then you tell another Beast member that he is being petty & call his post worthless. Then you top it off by criticizing this site with a statement about the Beast being better than this. I think it should be obvious that you were going to offend people. You could have just left it at "I don't care". It seems like plenty of members have found this thread worth while considering it's popularity, but if you don't want to read it you don't have to. Just simply move on until you find something you do like.

Exophysical wrote:I'm not around that many antis, I'm not worried about antis, I don't really care how the antis feel. But I'm careful to conduct myself in a manner that does not create more antis. We've got a major PR problem as hunters, its way harder getting permission from land owners these days, the only hunters that the apathetic majority hears much about are the slobs and poachers, the dummies that shoot their partners or leave animals to rot after cutting off the antlers. As a result things are getting harder for us. When I am representing this sport, as a hunter, I try to conduct myself in a manner that leaves a good impression with the general public. We hunt, we kill animals, that is our sport and I wont try to dumb that down, but I don't think going out of my way in an attempt to be overly graphic ( or whatever it is that the WWF style goofyness is supposed to accomplish) is necessarily a mature or responsible approach. Yes its just wording but do you guys realy get that much enjoyment out of infusing street style slang into our sport that its worth furthering an inaccurate and unflattering image that the world is slowly adopting in regards to hunters?

I think Exophysical makes a very valid point. Whether we like it or not public image is very important. We are a minority and if the non hunting public (& I'm not talking about anti's) ever decides that hunting has become intolerable for whatever reason we are in trouble. Plus, I see no reason to go out of my way to bother others by being overly graphic. It is what it is and that's all. Reality doesn't always matter either. Perception is reality and I think that is not a bad thing to keep in mind.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 pm

UPbowhunter wrote: Our country is in the shape it is because the Normal people have been quiet for a few decades and not wanting to offend anyone. I don't care what others think of what I do. I will do what is normal to me. If someone is so removed from reality that their offended by a phrase who really has the problem?

I agree with this. What I consider normal people (or people with a bit of common sense) don't gripe and whine about forcing their opinions down the throat of other people. They stay silent.

Exophysical wrote:I'm not around that many antis, I'm not worried about antis, I don't really care how the antis feel. But I'm careful to conduct myself in a manner that does not create more antis. We've got a major PR problem as hunters, its way harder getting permission from land owners these days, the only hunters that the apathetic majority hears much about are the slobs and poachers, the dummies that shoot their partners or leave animals to rot after cutting off the antlers. As a result things are getting harder for us. When I am representing this sport, as a hunter, I try to conduct myself in a manner that leaves a good impression with the general public. We hunt, we kill animals, that is our sport and I wont try to dumb that down, but I don't think going out of my way in an attempt to be overly graphic ( or whatever it is that the WWF style goofyness is supposed to accomplish) is necessarily a mature or responsible approach. Yes its just wording but do you guys realy get that much enjoyment out of infusing street style slang into our sport that its worth furthering an inaccurate and unflattering image that the world is slowly adopting in regards to hunters?

I agree with this to a point. Some people look at what we do as cruel. But I don't think the use of Harvest or Kill is really gonna make any difference in the long run. It's the people that don't understand this way of life that will be (and are) the problem.

That being said, I don't hide what I do and am not ashamed of it in any shape or form, but I don't flaunt it in the face of someone that doesn't care for it either. I do what I do and if you don't like it, then look the other way. Same as Busch Lite Bandit, if you don't care for the post, move on to another. People have all kinds of opinions. If your's is different than mine, so be it. I'll respect your opinion, but you respect mine also. Just don't try to make me live (or speak) the way you want to.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:51 am

Great response SOUTHERN! I couldn't agree more with all your points on this subject.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:14 am

I definitely like the word "Slob", wait what was the question?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”