Old Time huntin - got a pic?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jshorns
Facebook: Simple Hunting

Old Time huntin - got a pic?

Unread postby jshorns » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:37 pm

All the talk about life before tree stands made me think of the pic. I used on todays blog (www.simplehunting.org).

It's a pic. of my Grandfather back in the fifties. Missouri had closed the season back in the 40's? The deer had been shot out.
The only place there were any deer left (and turkey) were in the rugged and wild hills of the Ozarks. Mincy Refuge in Taney co. (my adult home) and Caney Mountain Refuge in Ozark co. were the source of live trapped deer and turkey for the state restocking efforts. Both refuges are still open today, I killed a buck there just a few years ago.
The season was later reopened for like 3 days. My grandpa hunted in those early days and took this buck in Taney county back in the late fifties or early sixties. Imagine hunting with no camo, no stand, no grunt calls, rattle bags, scents, tree stands - probably not even a scope.
My uncle Richard, grandpas only boy, is a deer hunting wizard. He started back at the same time and took up bow hunting. He is amazing and so full of stories of the early days - he has witnessed so much change. Even in his eighties he still climbs a tree and shoots a recurve. They made their own cedar arrows, shot three fingers under with a homemade tab and his favorite bows were made by "Pioneer" bow company - anyone know anything about them? I just love to hear from the old timers about the early days.
So - anyone got an old pic?

huntinsonovagun

Re: Old Time huntin - got a pic?

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Interesting topic for sure. I really like older hunting shows from the 90's (I know some of you will find me calling the 90's "older"). Something about just seeing how far things have come just in the past 15 years or so.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
jshorns

Unread postby jshorns » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:06 pm

Your right, even the past 15 years has brought so much change.
Did anyone ever watch "Bow Hunting October Whitetails"? I know it was produced by the Wensel brothers (http://brothersofthebow.com/), Rick Blasé, and Gene Biddlespatcher (spelling?)

October Whitetails was the first video I ever watched and owned. I watched it over and over and over - just ask my wife - they all got sick of it!

It was a classic - at that time I couldn't imagine killing a deer that big. They hunted with recurves and shot running deer with them - that was amazing to me. They were my inspiration.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 pm

jshorns wrote:Your right, even the past 15 years has brought so much change.
Did anyone ever watch "Bow Hunting October Whitetails"? I know it was produced by the Wensel brothers (http://brothersofthebow.com/), Rick Blasé, and Gene Biddlespatcher (spelling?)

October Whitetails was the first video I ever watched and owned. I watched it over and over and over - just ask my wife - they all got sick of it!

It was a classic - at that time I couldn't imagine killing a deer that big. They hunted with recurves and shot running deer with them - that was amazing to me. They were my inspiration.

Yep. I definitely wore out that tape.
jshorns

Unread postby jshorns » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:31 pm

I was on the Wensel brothers website and this old pic was in their album

http://brothersofthebow.com/moments7.jpg

It makes a man a bit melancholy. I've told my son I just cant imagine him going to the woods without me. You know that someday you will shoot your last buck and make your last trip. Memories with family are the greatest part of the hunt - that's why we are hard at work making them! Life is a great gift!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:32 pm

jshorns wrote:I was on the Wensel brothers website and this old pic was in their album

http://brothersofthebow.com/moments7.jpg

It makes a man a bit melancholy. I've told my son I just cant imagine him going to the woods without me. You know that someday you will shoot your last buck and make your last trip. Memories with family are the greatest part of the hunt - that's why we are hard at work making them! Life is a great gift!

Profound words.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:44 pm

The good old days. Not so sure that today isn't the good old days. Most can't relate to not having any deer. It is so hard to self teach when you don't get any real sightings of deer. No hunting forums, no one to teach you the ropes, hardly any deer tracks, and surly no deer sightings.

You can learn more today in a few weeks, what it took years to learn back then. Dan has given anyone that is interested the opportunity to learn and learn quickly. The Beast site has seasoned, knowledgeable hunters willing to share information on any and all types of big buck hunting. We can all just kick back and enjoy the ride because Dan is driving the bus.

I don't have any pictures of the early years of my hunting career. Didn't even own a camera. How even that has changed.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jshorns

Unread postby jshorns » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Yes, no doubt about that. I can remember Roger Raglin saying "Folks, these are the good old days." With deer numbers at an all time I you expect to see deer every time your out. Back home, in the "Good Old Days" people were thrilled to even see a track. It was all very mystical.
My Uncle Richard, now in his eighties, came and spent a day with me in the woods to show me the ropes. He showed me a giant scrape and I shot a buck at it that very night. He showed me rubs and how to follow rub lines, we walked all day. Every thing he learned he learned by self-study. He has bow hunted nearly sixty years and is a master at predicting where a buck will show up.
He's quite the character, like a real cowboy from the west, men like him rarely exist today. As a kid he was my hero and a giant in my eyes. He spent time with us, took us swimming at the creek, on float trips, squirrel hunting. He had a farm and I would stay down there in the summer. We rode horses and dirt bikes, every kid needs an uncle like him. He kept us out of trouble, I love being around him.
jshorns

Unread postby jshorns » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:49 pm

Not exactly ancient history but it's my first bow kill - 1982. I always took pics so I have a ton of them.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:05 pm

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jshorns

Unread postby jshorns » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:32 am

That's really old time :clap:
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:44 am

These are a couple of old photos from a deer my great uncle killed in southern Michigan I believe it was in the 60's
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:14 am

Good stuff, those old pictures are priceless.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:50 am

i love old time photos way better than all the posed deer photos of today. i mean i guess i take a few that look a little less bloody and stuff but nobody worried if there was a little blood or a tongue hangin out or if it was on the car or hangin in the tree etc...... now those pics are priceless.i got pics when my dad wore all red instead of orange here in wisconsin. and he said they all wore plaid when he was a teenager.
jshorns

Unread postby jshorns » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:53 am

Wow, those are great pics and a great buck! Imagine how big he would have been made to look if he was killed in current times. Get a little sky behind those horns n he would look 3' wide. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”