new land help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

forgehunter
500 Club

new land help

Unread postby forgehunter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:23 am

any thoughts on this piece? Need a little help disecting it. huntible proberty is circled in red

Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: new land help

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 am

The prefered bedding should be in the location I circled. My stand positionsd would be on the trails leading in and out of that area. Don't forget the corners near the road.
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:01 am

Thanks Dan!
This is a plce that Luke got permission to hunt. he works for the owner. they have already seen a couple decent bucks using the property. we are going to check it out this weekend.
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Jimmy V.
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:14 am

just wanted to than you again Dan for the tips on this piece. Luke and i were out there yesterday and found a few beds in the exact area you had circled. lots of trails going in and out of that area too. Luke's exact words were... "how did he know? by just looking at a picture... he is like a deer whisperer!"

one question though, how does railroad tracks affect the deer if any? what looks like a road on this picture is actually a rail road...
Jimmy V.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 am

forgehunter wrote:just wanted to than you again Dan for the tips on this piece. Luke and i were out there yesterday and found a few beds in the exact area you had circled. lots of trails going in and out of that area too. Luke's exact words were... "how did he know? by just looking at a picture... he is like a deer whisperer!"

one question though, how does railroad tracks affect the deer if any? what looks like a road on this picture is actually a rail road...

I grew up with tracks going through behind the house. Not many deer around, but trains never seemed to bother them any. I have seen deer stand right in front of a train until it was 20-30 yards away before they got off the tracks. I never hunted that close to tracks though.

One time when I was a teenager I figured it must have been at least three years and maybe closer to five since a train came through so I asked my mom when the last time she seen a train go through? She said they go through every day. She said she seen them all the time when looking out the window doing dishes. I was in my room and a train would go by about a hundred yards away and I didn't even know it for years! I was so used to it I guess I just ignored it which is hard to believe because it shook the house, but deer might get the same way and just ignore it or they might even like watching it go by.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:14 am

I just traded texts with Autumn Ninja. He runs trains for the railroad and sees how deer react all the time. He agreed that they would bed within 20 yards of a passing train and not spook if they have cover. After that I told him the deer were using this as a regular bedding area and he added that he sees them bedded by the tracks all the time and they never move.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:55 pm

One of the properties I hunt has tracks that cut through it.... deer dont' care. I've sat in stands 10 yards off of the tracks, and had deer standing in front of me when trains go by. They just stand there and watch..... and i've found a pile of beds close to the tracks too, just need the cover.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Tracks allow for great access to some great land. Use the tracks to slip into spots unnoticed by walking to opposite side from which you plan to hunt. I hunt near tracks all the time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:46 am

that is great info guys! thanks!
Jimmy V.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”