You know what's sad?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phade
500 Club

You know what's sad?

Unread postby phade » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:30 am

I have an old-ish CVA Wolf muzzleloader. It's about 8-9 years old, and has the regular breech plug that you take out with a tool/socket. Not a Quick pull. But, it's a tack driver and I've taken several deer with it and it's condition reflects the general brush busting I've done with it in the snowy winters of NY. It's not bad looking, but it has a scratch from a briar patch, and a few marks. Still, it shoots solid and the small frame makes it great for teens and tight quarters. Has a nice scope on it.

My home flooded in June and I lost most of my MZ shooting supplies to water damage (no loss to firearms and bows, however!). The Wolf shot well with 777 pellets. I have since moved onto a new MZ the past few years and BH209. With the older plug, BH209 isn't great, and I'm not all that interested in keeping the Wolf now since the 777 pellets were lost in the flood.

So, I reached out to everyone I know, and even online forums locally - "Hey, do you know a teenager who's hunting now and needs a ML?" Let them know it's a freebie just to "pay it forward."

Not a single reply of "Yes, I know a kid..."

First time I've ever come across that. Kind of sad, really. Here's a perfectly good shooter and no future generation to pull the trigger on it.

http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
dirt nap giver

Re: You know what's sad?

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:53 am

I know of a teenage boy who would love to take it off your hands.
It is sad that we can't find someone who knows of a kid that hunts and would love to have a free gift.
Sometimes, helping others can be a thankless endeavor.
Way to try and pay it forward.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:11 am

drill the plug and bh209 will shoot fine
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:57 am

jlh42581 wrote:drill the plug and bh209 will shoot fine

Agreed, but not the point of the thread.
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:51 am

I kind of see where you are coming from Phade. Remember though, because the gun means something to you it may mean nothing to someone else. Lots of people want, what they want, not what they can get for free. If I had a son and you offered me the gun I wouldn't take it either. I would want to get the kid what he would want, not what he could get for free. I do think it is a nice gesture on your part, but like older computers, older ML are not much in demand.

Another thing that hurts the sale of used stuff now days is the incentives offered by manufactures to get new stuff out the door. For instance, if you wanted to buy a used ATV a couple of years old. You could get a brand new one for 0 % interest for 5 years. Your payments and end purchase price would be the same, plus your new ATV is worth more at the end of 5 years. That is partly why it is tough to even give stuff away.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:03 am

I think this thread is headed off topic from what it's intent was. I believe Phade was commenting on how this generation of teens are steering away from hunting and the outdoors more and more it seems. Not all of course but a good majority. Stanley I see your point too but man it would be perfect just for a teen who wanted to try ML and see if they liked it??

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:35 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I think this thread is headed off topic from what it's intent was. I believe Phade was commenting on how this generation of teens are steering away from hunting and the outdoors more and more it seems. Not all of course but a good majority. Stanley I see your point too but man it would be perfect just for a teen who wanted to try ML and see if they liked it??

Looks like a lot of confusion on the thread. Is it about "a perfectly good shooter" or "no future generation to pull the trigger on it"?

Communication is a product by which meaning is created and exchanged. If we read and don't understand the intended meaning, no communication occurs, when we read what was written.

I think you may be correct PLB, at this juncture Phade may have to elaborate for us that don't understand the meaning of the post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:40 am

Yeah after rereading Phades post I'm pretty sure his last sentence sums it up. No future generation to pull the trigger. That's what I based my response off of also.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 am

I'm sure there is a decent amount of teens out there that would be very grateful to recieve that. Keep advertising. In the recent crossbow thread there were guys saying that there is enough hunters already and we don't need anymore because its over crowded as it is. But this thread is saying that hunting is dying. Very contradicting

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:02 am

john1984 wrote:I'm sure there is a decent amount of teens out there that would be very grateful to recieve that. Keep advertising. In the recent crossbow thread there were guys saying that there is enough hunters already and we don't need anymore because its over crowded as it is. But this thread is saying that hunting is dying. Very contradicting

Great point. I see waiting lists to hunt some of the Midwestern states. This would indicate more demand (hunters) than supply (available land).
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:24 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Yeah after rereading Phades post I'm pretty sure his last sentence sums it up. No future generation to pull the trigger. That's what I based my response off of also.

Yeah, I think that may have been the way to go. I based my post on a full summary of the entire post 175 words talking about and describing the gun. 69 words talking about no one interested in taking the gun for free for a younger hunter.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:18 am

We're to the point of counting people's words in their threads.

I gave a bit of a backstory on the MZ, but the driver was the fact I couldn't find a local youth to give the gun to at all (with parent permission obviously).

No reason to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Next time I'll be more wise on bothering to post.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:05 am

phade wrote:We're to the point of counting people's words in their threads.

I gave a bit of a backstory on the MZ, but the driver was the fact I couldn't find a local youth to give the gun to at all (with parent permission obviously).

No reason to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Next time I'll be more wise on bothering to post.

Your post was a good one. Most just didn't understand the meaning including myself. The word count was merely supporting my and others confusion. Keep posting, we enjoy your practicable information.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:36 am

Stanley wrote:

Your post was a good one. Most just didn't understand the meaning including myself. The word count was merely supporting my and others confusion. Keep posting, we enjoy your practicable information.

I didn't think my post was hard to understand, but who knows, some got it and some didn't. I'll take that feedback and run with it what I can. Much like everything in life, you are not going to please everyone, nor change certain people's agendas - overt or backhanded 8-) . After a while, you just need to be content that they are who they are and you have to deal with them. It is what it is.

Anyhow, back on topic (or to the topic since clarified :D ) my attempts at reaching someone have been unsuccessful. I'm not sure if it is because my circle has an age gap of hunters or what. I didn't come across alot of kids who had a MZ already. I'm sure there's someone locally, I'll keep digging.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:52 am

phade wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I didn't think my post was hard to understand, but who knows, some got it and some didn't. I'll take that feedback and run with it what I can. Much like everything in life, you are not going to please everyone, nor change certain people's agendas - overt or backhanded 8-) . After a while, you just need to be content that they are who they are and you have to deal with them. It is what it is.

Anyhow, back on topic (or to the topic since clarified :D ) my attempts at reaching someone have been unsuccessful. I'm not sure if it is because my circle has an age gap of hunters or what. I didn't come across alot of kids who had a MZ already. I'm sure there's someone locally, I'll keep digging.

You are 100% correct, it wasn't hard for you to understand. ;) Anyway, If you keep after it someone will take the gun and be appreciative to have it. When I was 16 I would have jumped on the chance to have a gun given to me. They didn't have ML seasons back then though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”