Hanging Tree Stands - Safety Harness Trick

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Hanging Tree Stands - Safety Harness Trick

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:42 pm

As some of you guys probably remember, when I uploaded my "How to Hang a Stand in 5 Minutes" video, I unattached my lineman's belt to climb into the stand before reattaching it to it's final sitting position. While this thankfully has never been a problem for me in the past, it is still a dangerous part of the climb. Another dangerous time is anytime that you need to take the lineman's strap around a branch.

I decided to use two lineman's belts on my harness. As is, that would introduce metal clanking because you'd have the stock carabiners on the harness hitting the carabiners on the ends of their respective opposite belts. So I removed the stock carabiners from the harness. I replaced them with large loops made from 1" tubular webbing - and tied using water knots. This way, you can silently use two lineman's belts simultaneously to ensure you're attached 100% of the time. Gotta thank cbigbear for the initial idea when I saw how he made the webbing loops on his rock climbing harness.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHkbZrw4aw&feature=share&list=UUrWvet_L5H1_AV3kATmydnQ[/bbvideo]

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Hanging Tree Stands - Safety Harness Trick

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:33 pm

Nice video. I might give this a try this week to see if it works for me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:48 am

Cool!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:34 am

Same exact way I have been doing it for quite a few years now. Thanks for making the video. Many people climb with a lineman belt but accidents still happen when going around branches or entering their stand. Like you said this technique eliminates that and keeps you connected to the tree at all times. Great safety tip for the coming season. :clap:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:41 am

Great video. I can't emphasize enough how easy it is to fall. It takes few more seconds to hook up. A trip to the hospital takes a lot longer and usually means the end of your season. I have had 3 good friends fall out of threes stands. It is not fun.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Slong

Unread postby Slong » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:54 pm

I've used your method since seeing the "hang your stand in 5 minutes" method. Great ideas come from this site and I'm making some big changes this season as a result.
Rock on beast.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Dewey wrote:Same exact way I have been doing it for quite a few years now. Thanks for making the video. Many people climb with a lineman belt but accidents still happen when going around branches or entering their stand. Like you said this technique eliminates that and keeps you connected to the tree at all times. Great safety tip for the coming season. :clap:

X2.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks for the video. I am doubling up my linemans belt too. Its too easy to slip or lose your grip while reattaching the single belt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Garrett you are doing a great job with these and the value is there in everyone. Thank you! Keep up the good work.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:43 pm

gjs4 wrote:Garrett you are doing a great job with these and the value is there in everyone. Thank you! Keep up the good work.

X2. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Agustus

Unread postby Agustus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:41 pm

Good idea. Until recently, I would hang a stand without a lineman a belt but would tie in once I got in. Probably a greater chance of falling happens before getting into the stand and this is another good idea. Liked the other video too. Good job and thanks for the ideas.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:31 am

This is a good friend of mines arm after a fall from 15 feet. Ended his season, and almost ended his bowhunting career. He now shoots about a 40 lbs bow max. Be safe out there guys.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:20 am

Another great video- thanks for sharing! I have two linemans belt but never thought about using them together. To be honest I never climb with one either, just clip on before getting in stand but that will change this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”