It's never easy losing land is it??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: It's never easy losing land is it??

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:40 am

i feel your pain

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:33 pm

It does suck. Probably one of the reasons that I have put more of my eggs in the public land basket lately. I also found it hard to not be able to do everything 100% on your terms on other privately owned properties at times. I respect the owners right to tell me how and where to hunt, but it waters down the experience a bit for me. I love that about public that you can dive in and hunt it how you think you need to and you can't get the boot!
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:46 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Well, it happened...I lost some good ground tonight. It's never easy is it? I have tried to expand out and find new areas just in case this would happen. I did find some new places but none of the new places I know like this one. All I have to say on the matter is some people are really selfish; I did so much work on this place and now it was all for nothing. I took some good bucks there and I will miss it's proximity to my house.

Anyone else have this feeling?? Right before season no less....

Rant over :cry:

For me finding new ground isn't a problem. But there is something about having familiarity with a parcel, it's like losing an old friend when it's gone.

And with the memory of the lessons learned, we carry on.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm definitely not alone as your guys stories tell the same story as mine. Thank goodness I added some buck beds from a couple public land spots this past off season! I have other places to go as well so I'm confident I can still make something happen. It was pretty cruel telling me this two weeks before season....obviously intentional.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:32 pm

hunter_mike wrote:That really sucks! How much land was it?

Obviously i dont know what the circumstances were in your situation but i do not like the "my deer" mentality that a lot of people have. I see it a lot in my aeeraea too. Its one of the reasons why i avoid hunting on my family's land even sometimes.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Atleast 300 and a couple really good primary bedding spots.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:33 pm

fishlips wrote:It does suck. Probably one of the reasons that I have put more of my eggs in the public land basket lately. I also found it hard to not be able to do everything 100% on your terms on other privately owned properties at times. I respect the owners right to tell me how and where to hunt, but it waters down the experience a bit for me. I love that about public that you can dive in and hunt it how you think you need to and you can't get the boot!

Yup, I've making this transition myself. Atleast public land is what it is and you can come and go as you please.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:43 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm definitely not alone as your guys stories tell the same story as mine. Thank goodness I added some buck beds from a couple public land spots this past off season! I have other places to go as well so I'm confident I can still make something happen. It was pretty cruel telling me this two weeks before season....obviously intentional.

That really stinks about the timing if they did that intentionally, but I think Missouri is the most underrated state for bow hunting big public land bucks. This may turn out to be a good thing. Hopefully it won't be long before we see you holding a public land giant.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”