It's never easy losing land is it??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

It's never easy losing land is it??

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:23 pm

Well, it happened...I lost some good ground tonight. It's never easy is it? I have tried to expand out and find new areas just in case this would happen. I did find some new places but none of the new places I know like this one. All I have to say on the matter is some people are really selfish; I did so much work on this place and now it was all for nothing. I took some good bucks there and I will miss it's proximity to my house.

Anyone else have this feeling?? Right before season no less....

Rant over :cry:

Jackson Marsh

Re: It's never easy losing land is it??

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:23 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Well, it happened...I lost some good ground tonight. It's never easy is it? I have tried to expand out and find new areas just in case this would happen. I did find some new places but none of the new places I know like this one. All I have to say on the matter is some people are really selfish; I did so much work on this place and now it was all for nothing. I took some good bucks there and I will miss it's proximity to my house.

That stinks, especially this close to the season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:24 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Well, it happened...I lost some good ground tonight. It's never easy is it? I have tried to expand out and find new areas just in case this would happen. I did find some new places but none of the new places I know like this one. All I have to say on the matter is some people are really selfish; I did so much work on this place and now it was all for nothing. I took some good bucks there and I will miss it's proximity to my house.

Very common scenario. Sorry about your loss.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:29 pm

That really sucks! How much land was it?

Obviously i dont know what the circumstances were in your situation but i do not like the "my deer" mentality that a lot of people have. I see it a lot in my aeeraea too. Its one of the reasons why i avoid hunting on my family's land even sometimes.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:37 pm

I lost a small lease a couple years ago to the girl scouts :mrgreen: It was only 60 acres but a good farm non the less. The lady that owned it sold it. I don't blame her, it was her property but I really miss it.

The one good thing it did was make me get more aggressive finding other places to hunt.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:40 pm

I know the feeling all to well. Move on and enjoy the memories. It doesn't hurt to check on things after a few years. Things change on their end too and you may re-gain access.
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:09 am

One things for sure, everything changes.

Sorry to hear that. I am eyeing up new ground as well.

1 John 2:15 - read it
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:14 am

Been there before. Not cool. Our situation was especially bad because one neighbor who also had permission spread lies about us and got us booted off both adjacent properties to our family farm, no more hunting, not even blood trailing. Now that sucks...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:18 am

Yea its not easy loosing access. Once it happens though just look ahead and don't waste time looking back. It was tragic at the time but when I lost access to most of the farms I grew up hunting as a teenager 10-15 years ago but that was once of the best things that ever happened to me as a hunter. Hunting the same old land every year made me complacent. Good luck this season!
jshorns
Facebook: Simple Hunting

Unread postby jshorns » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:25 am

Over the years I have lost some great farms in southern an northern Mo. and it's always a downer. I think that's why as I have gotten older I have just stuck to Public land because It's probably not going to change hands. I have also adopted the "Rolling Stone" approach - I develop a good stand then develop a new one, then another one, and another one.... Back home I had at least 40-50 good trees in my head that I could go to each year if I wanted. I found a good public land tree once, killed a deer from it, and then I didn't hunt there again for 17 years. The wind was right one morning so I went back to the same tree, slipped in and shot a nice 8 point standing under the same tree. We all know a good tree will always be a good tree (unless there are major changes) so I try and develop as many of them as I can, all on various WMA, that way I never have to go through the "Downer feeling' . Its human nature to want security but that can be detrimental to your hunting life. I just don't camp out on a particular farm, WMA, or tree anymore - and my hunting is the better for it. With the limited entry hunts here in FL. you never know what WMA or what the dates of your hunts are until mid summer. We drew several different hunts on several different areas so it's kind of a Forrest Gump scenario - you never know what your going to get so you have to have multiple areas ready. Were scrambling for an early season hunt we didn't expect so were out looking (not good) now for something that's not a rut based situation. I have never been an early season fan, I just don't know enough about it.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:07 am

Its never easy losing property and never easy finding property. Just have to constantly adapt. I lost most of my places from sale or construction, but I know I can go hunt public and get my deer. Puts a damper on being able to target specific deer but I still manage to fill the freezer every year and usually take a decent buck. Its sure nice to have good private but I have found that I would rather hunt large tracts of public and go into known bedding areas than smaller private where deer do not bed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:21 am

The only constant is change. Even on your seemingly most solid places, unforseen things can happen.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:24 am

I know how that feels. It hurts. I had a similar venting post on here too.

I lost 50 acres from my uncle this spring. Have beds pegged in there. Did my first BEast hunt in there last year too.

It hurts but I was blessed later on and got 80 in return. Whatever you give you will get back in the longrun.

Keep your head up man. ;)
bb70

Unread postby bb70 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:34 am

Been there many a times. I am constantly looking for the next piece of land to hunt. I sometimes put more effort into this than scouting some years. Some pieces hold bigger deer than others and are easier to hunt. I lose as many pieces of land as I gain. It gets harder and harder every year. I feel for you.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 am

If you are hunting on someones land for free you will sooner or later lose it. Land owners have payments, insurance, taxes, liability. Things like this. Someone offers them some money to help out with expenses. :think: Let me hunt for free, or that other guy for pay. :think: I have lost every place I have ever hunted on, with the exception of public land. I had a farm I hunted for 30 + years. The father and the son died within a year of each other. Guess who got the boot from the guy that inherited the farm. You just move on.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”