New terrain feature advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

New terrain feature advice

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:05 pm

I have hunted quite a few different terrain types, marsh, swamp, rolling farm, and hill. Recently I got onto a piece of ground that is gently rolling farm country, but the only "cover" or "huntable woods" are stand alone blocks of timber in the middle of fields 10 acres or so in size and they are all very deep gullies loaded with the thickest multi flora rose and other nasty vegitation with a canopy of mature trees over the top. I have never hunted anything like this before, there are some amazing deer trails weaving in and out of that stuff. I am very worried about wind swirl and I if I hunt them at all it will be rut because there is really no good way to approach it without getting busted visually ( assuming deer will bed around the rim not the bottom). Thoughts? Advice?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: New terrain feature advice

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:04 pm

I would expect bucks to bed on the down wind side of the wood lot watching the field. Coming in from the side on a cross wind sometimes works, and glassing from a far also works waiting and watching for a weak spot where you can ambush.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Stanley started a crp strategy thread a while back. Probably something useful in there too. I've jumped a fair number of good bucks out of multiflora rose bedding

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:11 pm

That sounds like a very tough terrain type to hunt. I would keep an open mind to hunting on the ground if the opportunity presents itself, that may be more manageable than trying to get to a tree undetected.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm

If all else fails and your running out of time you might consider getting somebody to help you do a tag team bump and dump on a buck. You could set up on an escape route or get set up at a bed you think he will go to if he is bumped. Then you could have somebody nudge (soft bump) him out of his bed after your set up there and waiting. You could be set up by another bed or an entry point that leads to the bed you think you will go to in a different woodlot if necessary. A little harder bump would be in order in this case. It would take a well thought out plan and even then it's a low percentage chance, but if have nothing else to lose it's something to think about. It's just a thought. ;) :confusion-shrug:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:52 pm

I agree on the downwind edge bedding. Coming in from a crosswind direction you may be able to hunt the outside corners. I would do a lot of glassing before moving in and mabey some shine-ing just after dark. Might be good to even hold off going in until the early November late morning cruise if you see a lot of does. Get in really early and sit till noon on the downwind edge. If there are any ditches connecting the wood lots I would also look at those closely.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”