Ability to be mobile

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Bucky

Re: Ability to be mobile

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:30 am

A buddy did this in a big hills set three yrs ago and saw 14 different bucks come down the trail of the hot doe! The date was Nov 3rd and it was a set of mine... my phone blew up all day of all the action he saw (one was a giant but he was in hot pursuit)! The next day I was back in there all day... nada! :lol:

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:30 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Sweet Shot 7 wrote:
Bucky wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Bucky wrote:I would have moved the loc on 55 yards closer after seeing the 2nd buck :lol: ;)

You know Bucky that is exactly what "should have" happened! The setup I had on the tree was not one I could have moved quietly and I felt the noise would hurt my chances for the remaining afternoon sit. So I set it out....watching how far away I was from opportunity :think:

I have made all kinds or racket moving stands in November and still had productive hunts that day or the next... I have had younger bucks actually come running into the noise of me setting stands!

Another tip is if you are hunting in hilly terrain or farm terrain and a hot doe comes racing through on a distant trail.... wait to see if she comes back 15-45min (if smaller woodlot or limited cover I would be patient longer)... if not get down and move to where she went thru

Great tip here! More then likely a buck will come down that trail sometime durring the day!

I've had much better luck getting down out of the tree and hunting on the ground when a scenario like this comes around. It seems like I always get busted when i'm trying to re-hang the stand. Not always but sometimes. I nearly shot a big one last year after two hot does came by me and I got on the ground. They were 75 yards from my tree and when I got into position waiting for the big one to come by, a yearling from out of nowhere busted me. If I'd stayed in my stand, I would have just watched the buck walk by with no chance.

X2. I'm on the ground most of the time in this situation.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 am

Great thread guys!! The ability to be mobile is what it's all about to kill mature deer consistently. To me there's nothing more exciting than sneaking into a fresh, hot area and setting up mobile on an unsuspecting buck. Plus I love hunting new areas each time out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:07 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Great thread guys!! The ability to be mobile is what it's all about to kill mature deer consistently. To me there's nothing more exciting than sneaking into a fresh, hot area and setting up mobile on an unsuspecting buck. Plus I love hunting new areas each time out.

The mystique of a new stand/set/spot is what it's all about for me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:00 am

I second getting down and trying from the ground. One reason I quit using a climber is because is such a situation you cant get down very quiet or easy. With portable setups you can get down quiet and quick and make your move, whether it be moving the stand or trying a ground attack.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:52 am

Going in with a stand and sticks you can get there look at the exact wind / thermal combo and decide between several trees based on todays sign, rather than sign seen last spring...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 am

Brad wrote:I don't see any stealth strips on those sticks SB! :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

They are on there now! That set of sticks got them shortly after that pic... good eye, Brad. 8-)

I don't have the patience to take the sticks apart and do a great job either (that's why i don't tie flies for trout fishing). I cut and pasted those babies on there and they work great.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:46 am

What I like the most about a portable set up is:

Being able to go to a new spot, scout ready to hunt, set up and have deer walk by close at that set.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Stanley wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:Great thread guys!! The ability to be mobile is what it's all about to kill mature deer consistently. To me there's nothing more exciting than sneaking into a fresh, hot area and setting up mobile on an unsuspecting buck. Plus I love hunting new areas each time out.

The mystique of a new stand/set/spot is what it's all about for me.

x3

I think being mobile is the most important piece of the puzzle to hunting mature bucks.

There is no better feeling than picking a spot on a map, walking out in the dark, climbing up and killing a buck at first light. Or pointing your nose into the wind, reading fresh sign, hanging a set and catching a big buck flat footed that evening.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:53 am

bump
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:35 am

This years buck was a byproduct of being mobile and even the Fisher I killed too.

Need fresh sign in my opinion, being more specific THIS years sign and not yesteryears sign...

Sometimes the latter gets in the way of being productive!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:46 am

what if you gear up and head out to scout and hunt fresh sign and you don't find any? time permitting, head to a new area? what if you only had 2 or 3 hours of light left? just hang and hunt for the fun of it or head home?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:54 am

Bowhunter74201 wrote:what if you gear up and head out to scout and hunt fresh sign and you don't find any? time permitting, head to a new area? what if you only had 2 or 3 hours of light left? just hang and hunt for the fun of it or head home?

Some of my biggest bucks were shot at bedding areas with very little sign. ;)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:47 am

Glad to say that this year while being nearly 100% mobile I have had more encounters than previous years!

I actually had more fun too walking into a set of woods that I cyber scouted, never had boots on the ground. It was so rewarding to stalk into the woods, following a path I designated from home, getting to the dot on my map, and actually seeing the sign I had expected to see! Hunting the sets were so easy for me because I had the confidence going into the set!

Being mobile in my opinion is a crucial key ingredient to successful beast hunting
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:06 am

dan wrote:
Bowhunter74201 wrote:what if you gear up and head out to scout and hunt fresh sign and you don't find any? time permitting, head to a new area? what if you only had 2 or 3 hours of light left? just hang and hunt for the fun of it or head home?

Some of my biggest bucks were shot at bedding areas with very little sign. ;)

but do you stay if you don't find any, or much of anything? say maybe a few piles of cocoa puffs here and there. no rubs, no big tracks or anything. just hunt it based on location because you believe something should be bedded nearby (according to map research/cyber scouting)?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”