Advice for getting intel on big bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Advice for getting intel on big bucks

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:05 pm

It may be at work, at the bar, school, etc...you will always be getting into conversations about deer hunting. Lots of times you will be talking to people who have no idea you are a hardcore bowhunter. I love the guys that YOU KNOW dont really have a clue about deer hunting but have a big head about themselves and love to talk ;). I used to ignore these types of people but now I dont. Lots of people shine and put out trail cams and talk to other hunters. Sometimes ignoring these types of people that talk but dont walk is a bad idea. They will show you trail cam pics of big bucks, give you hunches on where big bucks were seen, etc. Recently ive learned there are two big bucks in an area I didnt expect them to be due to crops but always had a hunch was a big buck hangout. I got word of someone shining the area and seeing them. I am very confident those two big bucks are bedding in an overlooked area I slipped a trail cam in back in May and am deciding to hunt a morning early in the season. If I dont kill one or get a nice one on film Im atleast hoping for some trail cam pics! This might be the case of loose lips sink ships and I will be the cannon! :). Keep your ears open and your mouth shut.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

tim
500 Club

Re: Advice for getting intel on big bucks

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am

8-)
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:27 am

Haha that is awesome! Kill one!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 am

Nice, playing the cannon end of loose lips sink ships, I like that.

I am dealing with a situation now where an in law of mine knows I put a cam out in a specific location and wants all my intel even though he would NEVER spend the time or money to do it himself. He gun hunts there opening morning and thats it and I dont want to motivate him to do any more than that.

My wife kind of thinks its bad of me to want to hold out but I dont see it any different than if I were to go out scouting on foot and put him in my best spots. Why should he get the fruits of my labor?

Anyway, loose lips can definitely sink ships and Im trying to avoid that at all costs.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:43 am

ozzz wrote:Nice, playing the cannon end of loose lips sink ships, I like that.

I am dealing with a situation now where an in law of mine knows I put a cam out in a specific location and wants all my intel even though he would NEVER spend the time or money to do it himself. He gun hunts there opening morning and thats it and I dont want to motivate him to do any more than that.

My wife kind of thinks its bad of me to want to hold out but I dont see it any different than if I were to go out scouting on foot and put him in my best spots. Why should he get the fruits of my labor?

Anyway, loose lips can definitely sink ships and Im trying to avoid that at all costs.

I agree with you ozzz. What if you show your in-law a pic of a big buck, your in-law goes to work and shows the pic to a bunch of people there, but the in-law neglected to realize that he works with Czabs! Boom dead buck lol
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:39 am

This is exactly the reason I rarely post video or pics of a big buck from trail cam or shining. If you hunt on public posting topo or aerial maps online is a big no no as well. Way too many people out there just looking for shortcuts and I refuse to be the guy doing all of the hard work for them. Pretty easy to recognize landmarks and other things in video or pics if somebody has a general idea where you hunt. The Live From The Stand thread is where I had to be very careful. The pics I took were pretty darn hard to put together a location unless you actually hunted in that tree before. Most were so remote I have never seen another hunter before. Good luck trying to figure those out. :lol:

Some people just can't keep their mouths shut and feel the need to brag when they get big buck footage and this tends to get them in trouble. I just shake my head when they complain how much hunting pressure is around them! :roll:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:48 am

Family is the worst. We hunt in close proximity to two uncles and a bunch of cousins. No one is anywhere to be found from December to September, but the second I mention a place I'm hunting or have mentioned seeing a decent buck, they are in on that spot. Or I'll come up midweek to find their truck in our driveway and see them walking out from hunting one of my stands.

I'm going mobile to prevent [glow=red]deer and humans [/glow]from patterning me.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:49 am

:shhh: "Don't tell nobody don't even tell me". :shhh:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Michaelry989

Unread postby Michaelry989 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:11 pm

im running through the same thing on the land that i hunt. its a family farm and the owners do not hunt but my wifes cousin bow hunts. i have made the 2 hour drive 6 times this summer and have hung 4 stands and hung cams. guy keeps hitting me up to send him all my pics and let him know where they are. lol some peoples kids.........
IS IT HUNTING SEASON YET????
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Michaelry989 wrote:im running through the same thing on the land that i hunt. its a family farm and the owners do not hunt but my wifes cousin bow hunts. i have made the 2 hour drive 6 times this summer and have hung 4 stands and hung cams. guy keeps hitting me up to send him all my pics and let him know where they are. lol some peoples kids.........

I know.

You spend the money and time to go scout and figure it out. You go buy some $150 trailcams. Its a real entitlement thing. I mean if we were both putting in equal effort and cooperating that would be another story, there are some people I do that with but it aint one sided.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:17 pm

I use to like this approach. I use to be this way. However, I'm a bit different these days...

Instead of quietly listening and formulating a plan, I'm buying those guys a beer, developing a good relationship, and I'm sharing with them. I'm banking that I can out-hunt them. I'd rather have several years worth of intel and a hunting buddy for life than a single year of intel and a buck on the wall. Yes, sometimes it bites you in the but and you don't get the buck, but hopefully they did and I'm helping them drag it out. If they do, there is a good chance they are calling me next year when they are on another big buck!

I always have spots on the back burner in the event an area that goes sour due to excessive pressure. You should take this approach albeit.

Its not for everyone, but its for me.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Isn't there a geotag embedded in smartphone photos? :)

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Mike wrote:Isn't there a geotag embedded in smartphone photos? :)

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image

Not if you disable location services. ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Michaelry989

Unread postby Michaelry989 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:51 pm

ozzz wrote:
Michaelry989 wrote:im running through the same thing on the land that i hunt. its a family farm and the owners do not hunt but my wifes cousin bow hunts. i have made the 2 hour drive 6 times this summer and have hung 4 stands and hung cams. guy keeps hitting me up to send him all my pics and let him know where they are. lol some peoples kids.........

I know.

You spend the money and time to go scout and figure it out. You go buy some $150 trailcams. Its a real entitlement thing. I mean if we were both putting in equal effort and cooperating that would be another story, there are some people I do that with but it aint one sided.

yeah thats how all the guys i grew up hunting with are.
IS IT HUNTING SEASON YET????
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:46 pm

My boss owns a 40 right next to some property the DNR just bought a few years ago. The public land is mostly swamp and does not attract hunters accordimg to his claims. He put in a food plot right next to the edge of this public land, and already showed a few trail camera pics of some nice looking shooters coming out of the swamp into his plot. He knows I hunt, but does not know Im a public land hunter. I will be in there this season for sure. Easy intel....

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”