Advice for getting intel on big bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Advice for getting intel on big bucks

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:09 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:My boss owns a 40 right next to some property the DNR just bought a few years ago. The public land is mostly swamp and does not attract hunters accordimg to his claims. He put in a food plot right next to the edge of this public land, and already showed a few trail camera pics of some nice looking shooters coming out of the swamp into his plot. He knows I hunt, but does not know Im a public land hunter. I will be in there this season for sure. Easy intel....

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Wow that's a real classy move.If he shows you a pic of his wife or girlfriend you interested in that to.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:54 am

Crazinamatese wrote:My boss owns a 40 right next to some property the DNR just bought a few years ago. The public land is mostly swamp and does not attract hunters accordimg to his claims. He put in a food plot right next to the edge of this public land, and already showed a few trail camera pics of some nice looking shooters coming out of the swamp into his plot. He knows I hunt, but does not know Im a public land hunter. I will be in there this season for sure. Easy intel....

I'd be careful...
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:12 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:

I'd be careful...

Nice
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:24 am

Dewey wrote:This is exactly the reason I rarely post video or pics of a big buck from trail cam or shining. If you hunt on public posting topo or aerial maps online is a big no no as well. Way too many people out there just looking for shortcuts and I refuse to be the guy doing all of the hard work for them. Pretty easy to recognize landmarks and other things in video or pics if somebody has a general idea where you hunt.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Was actually on the right end of this last year, was on a local forum talking archery and noticed a guy posted aerials and game cam pics of some nice bucks on some public we both hunt. It wasn't a big deal because he just confirmed what I already knew but he did mark stand sites so at least I know where he is running cams and hunting. Guy saw my location and sent me a message asking if I hunted that ground, I told him I wasn't sure . :lol: He hasn't posted this year. :lol:

I get a few other tips from people hear and there but always take them with a grain of salt unless I back it up with confirmed sighting or tracks. Most of the time a basket racked buck is huge to the average joes. Every now and then I get tipped off on a monster but its rare.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:42 am

My dad used to tell me about guys that would come to him and say, "Captain can you keep a secret", he would say why should I- you can't.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:46 am

Uncle Lou wrote:My dad used to tell me about guys that would come to him and say, "Captain can you keep a secret", he would say why should I- you can't.

Now that is hilarious!

I don't post pics or any form of intel on the net PERIOD! Way to many lurkers that know who I am. Which really stinks, because there are a couple areas I would love some help with. Just not worth the risk.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:10 am

dirt post in the 500 club forum and then delete your pics and aerials when you have what you need. I've done that a few times when I don't want something public.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:20 am

headgear wrote:dirt post in the 500 club forum and then delete your pics and aerials when you have what you need. I've done that a few times when I don't want something public.

Ohhhhhhh! Heck yeah! Thanks! Never even crossed my mind.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:50 pm

In my experiences most people talk up things and exaggerate, to make themselves sound like big shots. Especially if they are drinking. But I have gained info this way and depending on who the info is coming from will try to follow up on it. I only share my info with 3 close friends, who I trust will not try to hijack my spots.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:56 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:
headgear wrote:dirt post in the 500 club forum and then delete your pics and aerials when you have what you need. I've done that a few times when I don't want something public.

Ohhhhhhh! Heck yeah! Thanks! Never even crossed my mind.

I almost said the same thing, but thought surely dirt nap thought of that and decided it was still to risky for him. :lol: Good thing headgear brought it up!

Milk Weed Seed wrote:In my experiences most people talk up things and exaggerate, to make themselves sound like big shots. Especially if they are drinking. But I have gained info this way and depending on who the info is coming from will try to follow up on it. I only share my info with 3 close friends, who I trust will not try to hijack my spots.

I have missed out on some good spots this way. People share a good spot with me because they know I won't hunt it unless they tell me too. The problem is that those spots were often on my radar and now I feel I have to stay out of there or the person will feel betrayed. For this reason I'm getting to the point that I'm not sure if I want people to tell me about their spot.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
jshorns
Facebook: Simple Hunting

Unread postby jshorns » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 pm

I have to agree with Bass it's. I'm older now and think a bit different then I did when I had hair. In this day of great anti-hunting ideology and radical environmentalism the hunting community needs all the friends it can get. Helping others have success and bringing new members into the ranks is vital to the future of hunting. When I look at the trophies on my wall I realize that if I needed a hand or some help they wouldn't be there for me. I hunt public land and due to an injury I cannot drag a deer out - thank God I have friends and family that are willing to help me out. Yes helping someone out may cost you a good stand or a good buck. That's a small price to pay for a good friend. I took a guy to one of my best gobbler spots for his first turkey hunt - he shot a nice Tom the first morning and he was right back the next day without me. I may have lost a spot but I made a genuine friend and now a die hard member of the hunting community. He has grown and i doubt he would be taking my spots now. He took up hunting and now does it all. I'm his best friend now and even though he moved to Tenessee I know if I needed something he would be there. Beside now if I go to Tenn. to hunt I'll always have a free bed and he will have already found some good areas for me to hunt. That's a win - win in my book. The truth is that the guys who are good hunters will always be good hunters. Others are no real threat to you because you will always be able to find another good spot. " A man that has friends will never be a poor man". As bass boys has said, it may not be for everyone but it works for me.

whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:00 pm

:naughty:
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Good post. I tend to do a lot of listening these days.
jshorns

Unread postby jshorns » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Years ago I had a family member that was in our hunting camp and he told me he kept seeing this nice buck cross a field (Public land) but he was out of gun range. My first thought was, well move into gun range. I asked if he wanted me to go back and hunt him with him and he said yes. I asked him to show me where the buck was crossing and he showed me. I sat up a stand about 100 yards back in the timber and when the sky turned pink the next morning he was straight under my tree - you can guess how it ended. I still have no clue why the guy didn't just move his stand.
jshorns

Unread postby jshorns » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:19 pm

I meant to say something about the comment above by "Uncle Lou" about what his dad would say in reference to keeping a secret. That's a response well worth remembering - nothing like the wisdom of an old sage. Thanks for sharing. :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”