Broadhead tuning pictorial explanation.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Broadhead tuning pictorial explanation.

Unread postby Dor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:56 am

About 10 years ago I was new to compounds and struggled to get my broadhead to fly with my field points. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Several years went by before I figured it out the right way. In about 2008 or so I found this thread that I really think it illustrates the basics of broadhead tuning better than anything I have seen (without having to read a 50 page manual).

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthrea ... ead+tuning

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Jackson Marsh

Re: Broadhead tuning pictorial explanation.

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:19 pm

That is a great link, thanks Dor!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Can somebody post some screenshots?? I don't want to become a member just to see it....
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:48 am

Gosh I remember those days. No more.... Epek is the solution! Even with a perfectly tuned bow, your broadheads will fly differently. Unless you like shooting broadheads the entire season, they will NEVER fly exactly like field points. Impossible; unless you don't have any blades exposed.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:53 am

WKPTodd wrote:Gosh I remember those days. No more.... Epek is the solution! Even with a perfectly tuned bow, your broadheads will fly differently. Unless you like shooting broadheads the entire season, they will NEVER fly exactly like field points. Impossible; unless you don't have any blades exposed.

In the days of fingers and and huge heads that was a problem. With releases and the newer low profile fixed heads, not so much. I can get my fixed heads to hit within 1/2 inch of field points at 20 yards. As far as using broad heads all year, no one hunts with field points. I do agree the Epik head and all other mechanicals are close to field point accurate. As with just about anything it's not so much the head in front of the arrow it's more about the head in back of the arrow.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:52 am

Stanley wrote:
WKPTodd wrote:Gosh I remember those days. No more.... Epek is the solution! Even with a perfectly tuned bow, your broadheads will fly differently. Unless you like shooting broadheads the entire season, they will NEVER fly exactly like field points. Impossible; unless you don't have any blades exposed.

In the days of fingers and and huge heads that was a problem. With releases and the newer low profile fixed heads, not so much. I can get my fixed heads to hit within 1/2 inch of field points at 20 yards. As far as using broad heads all year, no one hunts with field points. I do agree the Epik head and all other mechanicals are close to field point accurate. As with just about anything it's not so much the head in front of the arrow it's more about the head in back of the arrow.

Did you get a new sponsor Todd? :mrgreen:

Stan is correct.

You should be able to get your broadhead to fly with your field points.

Mechanicals can be used as a crutch for an untuned bow....I have used it myself.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
jon

Unread postby jon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:49 am

Don't have that problem anymore since I started using slick tricks. So far they've always hit where my field tips have hit. Harvested 3 deer last year and they performed perfect blood trails.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:09 am

Dor's post shows an easy step by step process for broad head tuning. I'm sure the post to help guys with tuning issues.

Most mechanical heads will fly with your feildtips, that doesn't mean your bow is tuned!

Many think that paper tuning gets your bow tuned. That is a starting point. You can actually skip paper tune and go right to broad head tuning.

If you get your bow to broadhead tuned then its very close. You can take many steps afterwards to super tune your bow setup.

Couple things you have to be certain of before broad head tuning....make sure cam timing and cam lean is correct.
You also need to be sure you have the correct spined arrow for your bows draw weight and length.

Dor, excellent tutorial post on broadhead tuning.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”