Abandoned Deer Stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Darin
500 Club

Abandoned Deer Stands

Unread postby Darin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:56 am

I have gained access to a new property this year and the owners told me I am the only hunter that will be on it. And that the previous hunters haven't been back in 4 or 5 years. (Good news for me 8-) ) Upon scouting the property in early spring I have found 2 tree stands and the land owner said they must be from the previous guys, and said that I could use them. In the spots they are setup, are useless for me. So my question is... Should I go ahead and move them to spots I would hunt? Do I consider them "my" stands now? I would never consider myself a "thief" or take part in anything of that sort but to my understanding they are abandoned.... :think:

Land owner says the other guys wont be back. Its been 4 or 5 years since they were on the property...

Bucky

Re: Abandoned Deer Stands

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:06 am

Check em for safety.... move em and use but on same property.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:07 am

My question would be are those stands from trespassers? If they were indeed stands from the previous hunters I would be very nervous about using them after hanging in a tree out in the elements for 4-5 years. Be very careful! :o

What kind of stands are they?
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:11 am

Sounds like they are the landowners and if he said use them then I would!
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:17 am

The landowners do not hunt. Land owner said they "must" be from the previous guys. 1 stand is in great shape and from the ratchet straps holding it, it doesn't look like its been there for 4 years... :think: and its in a fishy spot on the property (looks to be easily accessible from the neighbors farm.. They don't have permission to be on our property so its a possibility it could be a trespasser tree stand.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:55 am

Move them if you need them elsewhere on the property.

Albeit, it sounds like you might have a trespassing issue. At a minimum, I'd hang a small loose stick on a step or the stand to monitor usage...or lean a stick up against a brushed out tree (I often do this on public to monitor usage). Use a camera if you are looking for concrete evidence and don't mind taking the chance of a stolen camera.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:10 am

Take them down and use your own stuff. You own neither the land or the stands why compromise yourself for some equipment you don't own. Just my opinion and what I would do.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:21 am

i agree with stanley.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:54 am

Stanley wrote:Take them down and use your own stuff. You own neither the land or the stands why compromise yourself for some equipment you don't own. Just my opinion and what I would do.

Good point Stan. What should I do with them when I take them down? There not mine so I dont want them in my garage.. Give them to the landowner?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:03 am

I would give them to the landowner since they are on his property and let him decide what to do with them. If he decides to give them to you then you are free to do what you want with them.

If they are trespasser stands they do not deserve to get them back IMO.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:43 am

Stans advice is solid. Take 'em down and if you can use them on another property somewhere that's where I'd use them.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:20 am

Silly question since I do not use stands but don’t most people at least put their names on them somewhere? Not that I would expect Darin to track them down but maybe if it has a name the landowner would know who it is.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:57 am

Darin wrote:
Stanley wrote:Take them down and use your own stuff. You own neither the land or the stands why compromise yourself for some equipment you don't own. Just my opinion and what I would do.

Good point Stan. What should I do with them when I take them down? There not mine so I dont want them in my garage.. Give them to the landowner?

That is what I would do. To me it's I don't own them so I don't use them. Maybe the guy got hurt or died, then his next of kin owns them. You never know the circumstances, that is why you never take another guys stuff. The bottom line; you don't own them.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 am

I don't think I would just give them to the landowner. It sounds like he is not a hunter, and by giving them to him you might be giving him more stuff he dosen't want. i.e junk to find a home for, thus just making more work for him. You could ask him if he wants them, but I wouldn't just show up and give them to him. He said in a round about way, he dosen't want them when he told you you could use them.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:44 am

Personally I would just leave them be. Look for fresh hunter sign during season. Make sure neighbors are aware of property lines, etc...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”