When to pull back?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

When to pull back?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:32 am

Knowing when to pull back has been one of my greatest weaknesses in bowhunting. It has literally cost me several bucks. Im not sure if this is just a "you just know when" type of thing or are there any tips anyone can give on when to pull back?

Mike

Re: When to pull back?

Unread postby Mike » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:43 am

On permanent stand sites we plan an area to draw back. We use an artifical xmas tree to provide a visual block to draw back when there is no natural visual blocker

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:56 am

From my experiences pulling back when the buck is moving gets you busted the least amount. Always take the best first shot you are afforded. Keep your distances shorter and you will kill more bucks. You are in control of the situation don't let the buck control your judgment. Set up for 15 -25 yard shots. Having a clear shot is paramount. Some will argue, but no shot = no buck anyway you look at it. Set your stand up so you are not high lighted like a lollipop. Always see the buck before you hear the buck. Getting caught by surprise is a disaster waiting to happen. Stuff happens, you will mess up once in a while, no biggie, move on to the next opportunity.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:58 am

It is definitely a "you just know" type of thing. And you "just know" by experience. That being said, sometimes you have to force it because the right time ain't happenin".
So..... shoot as many does as you can (ethically) and really think about those that you blew. Those are the better experience than the ones you didn't.
Confidence is KING !!!!
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:10 am

I've heard of guys drawing early then dropping their back elbow. You can stand like that for quite a while with a compound. Anyone else seen or tried that?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 am

Drawing on any deer is one of the biggest challenges a bowhunter faces. The only way to get good at it is to shoot lots of deer. I have also drawn back on deer I do not plan on shooting just to see what I can get away with and apply that to future hunts.

Any type of barrier is great to have and wait till the deer goes behind and it's vision is blocked. I also like to draw when they are distracted by another deer or other critter.

A slow easy draw is best but getting pretty hard to do with the agressive cams on modern bows nowadays. I sure miss the smooth round wheel bows. The trade off is that we now have plenty of let off to hold at full draw for much longer periods of time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 am

Shoot a light bow and you can draw it with very little extra movement. Also, you can hold it with ease. Nuge shoots 40lbs and is very stealthy.

May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Why I love my treesaddle I swing behind the tree a bit, draw and pull to lane....Plus I can set bow on thigh drawn or not so my arm doesnt start shaking all over if things stop.
it sounds like your hunting too naked..are you using a climber, hunting alot of pole timber or hunting deer in fields?

either you stick out like a sore thumb from the start or there isn't enough obstacles between you and deer.

If feral cats, bobcats,coyotes or turkeys don't notice you, you are well hidden..If they glance and boogey,,well you need to hide better.

Im doubting you have too but just in case,, you don't have to raise your bow towards the sky to draw or anything crazy do you???.
str8shooter

Unread postby str8shooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:18 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:I've heard of guys drawing early then dropping their back elbow. You can stand like that for quite a while with a compound. Anyone else seen or tried that?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I've used the elbow drop on occasion when I drew too early, it works great for holding the bow for an extended period.

I do basically the same as others have mentioned, try to draw when their head is behind a tree or cover and I never try to draw when the deer is standing still.
Find his shed, find his bed, use your head to make him dead.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:52 am

I use recurves..so I'm continuously looking ahead of him whichever way he goes and picking the openings, then draw when I'm going to shoot.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:43 am

One of the big perks of lowering your draw weight is not getting busted as often while drawing. You may be able to draw at a safer time but more importantly you shouldn't have to sky draw AND you can draw the bow much slower. You should only have to move one arm while drawing - the rest of your body and your bow should be basically motionless. I like to draw when the deer is moving behind something - it doesn't take much to break up the deers line of sight with you, just a limb or two or some small saplings. It doesn't have to be completely obscured if you draw slow with minimal movement. I hunt with a low enough draw weight that I can take 15-20 seconds to draw ultra-slowly. I have taken several bucks where that was the only way to get drawn - in the open looking in my general direction (but not alerted - that means game over as far as movement) and I still managed to ease the bow back and shoot them.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:52 am

That is a feel right thing for me. I try to wait until the vision is blocked by some object. I have a tendency to draw fast when the time is right. Before I gain the deer's attention. I have taken my time on occasions. If the deer is moving fast or at a steady walk an it is obvious he is coming past me I go ahead an draw while he is closing the distance.

I recall a hunt about three years ago. I was about 25 feet up a gum tree guarding an acorn tree. They started shuffling in an before I knew it there were five does around me. I waited for about 45 minutes an the acorn crunching got the best of me an decided I wanted to take one out with me. I had two in front of me an three behind me. I picked one that was standing right an started to put pressure on the string. When I came to full drawl they all did the nervous shuffle at once an I closed my eyes. I knew they were gone. I opened them a short second later an the acorns were crunching again. I picked the one on the right an released. They exploded an woods went silent. I climbed down an packed everything up an eased out to the atv. Went back an took the trail up. She went about 60 yards an laid down.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
steve22

Unread postby steve22 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:57 pm

I draw when deer is on the move or something catches there attention the other way, or when there heads behind a tree or brush

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:14 pm

I usually draw when I can shoot the deer... A lot of guys want to draw when its coming and behind brush but my experience has been that deer movement is unpredictable and drawing at a point in time when you can't shoot often puts you in a no win situation when the deer stops behind something to feed or turns where there is no shot, or catches the movement or sound of you pulling back. They are pretty good at catching you drawing your bow, but most of the time they stop for several seconds and offer you a shot, unless of coarse you drew before you had an available shot.

Thats not to say there are not situations to draw early... Like during the rut when a cruising buck is speed walking and you have a short shot window.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:11 pm

If in doubt practice on other deer you do not intend to kill.
I routinely take practice pulls @ Doe's and little bucks to help formulate different scenarios...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”