Ideas on thanking landowners

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Ideas on thanking landowners

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:50 pm

So there's been lots of information about the best way to go about asking permission, but what about when you've been granted it? Today I talked to the landowner that allowed me to hunt on his land last year, and once again, said I was more than welcome this year. They get nothing in return for letting me hunt, other than a slightly lower population and a 20 minute chat every now and then when I stop over. I want to do something that shows my appreciation for it. I was thinking about a thank you card with some cash in it that I'll give them next week. Thoughts?

rack addict
500 Club

Re: Ideas on thanking landowners

Unread postby rack addict » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Any chance I get to help them out I do , also I let em know how much I appreciate it. I always send a card with a gift card in it for christmas. It definitely can't hurt none. When they leave town I volunteer to stop by now and again to make sure everything is fine. Anything you can do to let them know that you appreciate them is time and or money well spent.
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:01 pm

I think the card is a good idea.

Might try to offer to help with anything they might need. Generally if its an old farmstead....the owners might need help with maintenance....fixing, painting, moving stuff....maybe even farm chores. Or cutting and splitting firewood. Those types of things are very appreciated and even more by the elderly.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
1 John 2:15 - read it
Ragepassthru

Unread postby Ragepassthru » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:05 pm

The guy who lets my family hunt his property is a top notch guy. We help him every chance we get. He hunts too. We buy all the food plot seed for our plot and his. We plant em. We always try to give him at least a $50 gift card of not $100. Even helped him and his wife move not too long ago.
Anything to show your appreciation. Do they eat deer? I've offered half or whole deer before

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:21 pm

For the private I hunted the last couple of years I gave him a thank you card along with venison and a $50 fleet farm gift card. Also offer to fix anything he has broke or anything needing to be machined as I work at a machine shop.

He was happier than a pig in crap.

Have had sole permission the last 3 years on a critical piece of land mainly for access.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 pm

Most landowners I deal with usually decline to accept venison from a deer I kill on their property, but I have yet to have a landowner decline different venison products that I take back to them such as venison bologna, snack sticks, and especially jerky. It feels really good to take part of the harvest back to the person that was integral in me getting an animal in the first place.

I don't know if you can anything like leeks or peppers or make jam or jelly, but items like that have gotten me permission multiple years from landowners and they remember me when I go back to ask permission: "You're the guy who brought me that jerky and those canned peppers last year. Man, those peppers were good, are you canning any this year?" It's a simple thing for me to do, but it makes me stand out from the rest of the crowd because I offer something unique and that could be the difference for me getting on the property over a different guy.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Remember it is a huge privilege being able to hunt on someones property. By letting you hunt for free they are losing out on some easy capital. Some gift certificates to nice restaurants, flash lights, pocket knives, no booze. Pay for a car repair, break job, couple of tires for their car.

There are all kind of things you can do for them. Don't give them venison, that is something you got off their property. Nice big ham for Thanksgiving, butterball for Christmas. Take them some premium ice cream in the summer time. Offer to wash and wax their car/truck. Take care of those land owners, they are taking care of you.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:04 am

Stanley wrote:Remember it is a huge privilege being able to hunt on someones property. By letting you hunt for free they are losing out on some easy capital. Some gift certificates to nice restaurants, flash lights, pocket knives, no booze. Pay for a car repair, break job, couple of tires for their car.

There are all kind of things you can do for them. Don't give them venison, that is something you got off their property. Nice big ham for Thanksgiving, butterball for Christmas. Take them some premium ice cream in the summer time. Offer to wash and wax their car/truck. Take care of those land owners, they are taking care of you.

Right on Stanley. Unless they ask for venison, the only "wild game" Ive gifted is panfish, usually yellow perch which are often regarded as superior table fare in WI. The fleet farm or farm and fleet gift card along way too as mentioned above.

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:13 am

Whats wrong wwitth veniison?

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:44 am

Czabs wrote:Whats wrong wwitth veniison?

That's what I was thinking.

Landowners that I deal with love receiving items made from venison, not necessarily just raw meat though.

I can understand what Stanley is saying about the landowner losing out on easy green but in my area, leases for hunting are few and far between so it is different here. By letting me hunt their property for free, they aren't losing any money and alot of times, they are farmers that dislike deer and other game that eat their crops.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:48 am

Nothing wrong with venison IMHO. Just not my go to gesture. I always offer up front. I've been on plenty of farms where not everyone in the household likes venison...
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:27 am

Whats wrong with Booz! The farmer I hunt on likes to drink Busch. I take him a case of Budweiser every summer and he is so happy. We even talk and drink a few together. My other propertys I give them deer bologna and jerkey and gift cards. They always say that is more then enough. I tell them thats the least I can do!
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:29 am

Last year I sent Christmas cards, wrote a note thanking them for permission. I did not include a gift, but the card was better than nothing.

I have taken them venison sausage in the past. I have given them gift certificates to the local meat locker. July 4th weekend I dropped off a 10 pack of boneless pork loin chops that were on sale at the local grocery store.

I've helped on the labor side of things, driving tractor, clearing brush, baling hay, etc.

Most landowners I try to keep in contact with throughout the year, but there is one that I gather doesn't care to be "bothered", so I don't contact him as often and when I do, I keep the conversation short. Whatever it takes to keep him happy and saying yes. ;)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:35 am

I think it different for each land owner. Many property owners out of state I hunt own has actually asked me to bring up home made wine and or shine. I accommodate when asked but since I don't make or have these on hand...I prefer gift cards, hams during the holidays, building fences, barn repair, tractor repairs, even done a brake job for a guy. Anything I can give back to the land owner in show of appreciation.

I always send each land owner a Christmas card with a thank you note too.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:40 am

Nothing wrong with venison for you the hunter. Considered cheesy to give back what you took off his land. Just saying, keep your land owners happy.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”