Shoot or pass?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Re: Shoot or pass?

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 am

I would probably personally pass but your situation sounds like you could kill him and still have great opportunities elsewhere. That sounds the the potential to be a heck of a season to me.

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:23 am

str8shooter wrote:
Bucky wrote:I have multiple CWD buck tags from last yr.... and farms with higher end buck potential in those areas. This buck is probably a top 4-5 for me in the non CWD area (close to home).

No one can make the call but you, but with those circumstances I'd try to shoot him early on and then see what the season brings. In my opinion that is one of those bucks that never turns into much and when he's 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 will chase other good potential 3 1/2 year olds onto a neighbors property. So if you can shoot him and still chase antler during the bow season I wouldn't think twice about killing him. just my .02 cents

I agree... he likely wont be 10" bigger next year if he lives.... I have two nice 3yr old 10pts that are getting the pass... so I'm looking for a target that I know is close. I'm only working with 40 huntable acres in this area. I'd love to shoot the mature buck above but I realistic, I don't have a single pic of him in daylight during season since he was 3yr old!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:51 am

I had one similar blow into a 150in 8pt in one more year, so I would say pass.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:05 pm

I think it all depends on what caliber deer he is compared to the other deer in the area and how many bigger ones there are out there. Also factor in how much time you have to hunt this well. Its always a tough call but when the moment of truth comes it gets even tougher!
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 pm

Anytime before gun hunting would be a pass for me. I think I would wack him late season in the snow though! :mrgreen:

That last picture you got of him...is that him pegging you out velvet filming? :lol:
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:55 pm

It's all up to you. I'd take him though.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:29 am

I go entire seasons sometimes without seeing a buck that size in Michigan. I'd take him here especially with bow. In other states..just depends..public/private, potential for bigger deer, how my season is going, etc. I'd definitely be proud of him if I made that choice.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:46 am

Only you can make that choice, depending on how much thought and time into this buck may make this a big success. Knowing the homework you did for this deer if you decide to shoot him is the real success of the hunt and that you outsmarted him. I would never say what you can or cannot shoot. I do know that they always look much bigger in velvet. Good Luck with your choice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”