Another BUCK bed thought

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Another BUCK bed thought

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:33 am

Have you guys ever located a buck bed that practically had no visual advantage at all?

I found two separate buck beds one on a point, and one near the wind tunnel near a draw.
These two beds are in such dense thick nasty stuff, that once I got down into the beds, I could hardly see 10 yards
looking back on the trail I walked to his bed on. Other than that I couldn't see downwind from the beds at all. I could see how the buck would catch the wind and the thermals, but seemed like he didn't have any visual advantage at all.

Is this something you guys see often or in the pass while searching for buck beds?

Dewey

Re: Another BUCK bed thought

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:38 am

I see that quite a bit and they rely on their nose and hearing and not so much on sight. Most of the times these are the thick nasty spots that nothing can penetrate without being given away long before aproaching the deer. Most times in these spots the buck will have a great escape route into even nastier stuff to get away from the danger.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:41 am

Yea... they bed in cattails and swamps with no vision a lot. As Dewey said, at that point they bed based on smell and sound.
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Was hanging a stand with a buddy of mine years ago in the bottom of a draw. Placed the first section of a climbing stick on the tree and a nice 8 point jumped up about 10 yards away right out of a briar thicket. There was no way that deer could see anything. Just got a little to close for comfort.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:57 pm

I might sound dumb, but you can pretty much find the buck's weakness as he beds??? Right? The beds I found last spring in hill country looked like they were purely for observation and not so much sound and scent, even though they do use those senses obviously, but if you can find the weakness inside the bed, I think that is a good start into hunting and killing that buck. Good post!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:55 am

Absolutely, bucks bedded in corn fields have no visual. Bucks bedded in thick heavy cover have no visuals. I have jumped bucks in 10 feet tall horse weeds they have no visual,
Crazinamatese wrote:I might sound dumb, but you can pretty much find the buck's weakness as he beds??? Right? The beds I found last spring in hill country looked like they were purely for observation and not so much sound and scent, even though they do use those senses obviously, but if you can find the weakness inside the bed, I think that is a good start into hunting and killing that buck. Good post!

Sound and smell take over when they can't see while in their beds..
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I might sound dumb, but you can pretty much find the buck's weakness as he beds??? Right? The beds I found last spring in hill country looked like they were purely for observation and not so much sound and scent, even though they do use those senses obviously, but if you can find the weakness inside the bed, I think that is a good start into hunting and killing that buck. Good post!

In reality, a bucks bed is his weakness anyway you look at it. I mean, that is where he lives and is vulnerable to some extent. The buck can't be killed where he isn't so the bed is the key to killing him.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:31 am

These particular beds were in hill country. Stanley's post is a great point. If a hunter has a chance at tagging a mature buck, he needs to be on his feet during daylight hours. I too think the bed itself is the key to tagging him. He isn't going to be on his feet very much during daylight hours (outside the rut) and being as close to his bed I think is exactly what Dan and many others on this site teaches.

It just amazed me the fact the deer in hill country bedded without a visual. I just felt like the buck using that bed would be vulnerable to predators if they were to be off wind, out of the thermal and silent?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”