Dividing deer for removal from field.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: Dividing deer for removal from field.

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:49 pm

I have never cut a deer up to get it out yet, but I would probably cut right in half. I cut the backtstraps in half when packaging for the freezer, so I wouldn't hesitate to cut in half if I had too.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:03 am

I really enjoy breaking an animal down when out west and packing it out on your back, it is a rewarding feeling having a heavy pack on your back (I believe it is a BIG part of an out west hunt/experience). Having to have the head attached to the neck and rib cage is idiotic, it defeats the whole reason for breaking down an animal if you ask me. It is not surprising that the WDNR would make such a stupid rule for quartering an animal in the field. Personally I won’t even bother in WI since the neck/rib cage have to be attached to the head. I will continue to use a sled in WI and utilize as many out of state opportunities as possible.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:06 am

Would guess that 1/3 of the bucks we kill in remote bigwoods we butcher and pack out. No need to drag a buck out, usually if it's over a mile, buck is butchered and packed, 2 guys make short work of the job.

Mike's buck at kill site, if I remember right is was about a mile back to the boat.

Mike's buck on the buckpole, much easier than dragging
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:18 am

Tadmdad wrote:Would guess that 1/3 of the bucks we kill in remote bigwoods we butcher and pack out. No need to drag a buck out, usually if it's over a mile, buck is butchered and packed, 2 guys make short work of the job.

Mike's buck at kill site, if I remember right is was about a mile back to the boat.

Mike's buck on the buckpole, much easier than dragging

As far as butchered do you mean the deer is all boned out or just skinned and quartered? Anything left behind?

Just trying to get a feel for the procedure others use and what is easiest as far as getting the deer out. Do you pack the meat out or use some type of sled to get back to the boat?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:31 am

Dewey - my buddies and I have done it in WI. You have to bring the whole deer to registration station per my understanding. We carried a bone saw, gut and cut the deer in half, the easiest way IMO. We cut pretty close where backstraps meet the pelvis as to not ruin much meat (then tied the hing legs together and through over shoulder to carry hind quarters (hills). Made dragging and carrying in some spots way easier! Takes a 180-200lbs dress deer down to MUCH more manageable pieces! The front half drags/pulls so much easier when you don't have the back legs catching... (sled or big wheeled cart for front half of deer)
Last edited by Bucky on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:55 am

Each state is different for the laws of butchering or quartering a deer, most the head has to remain attached to one of the quarters. Some that are CWD you can't transfer bone or brain matter out of the state. Reminds me that I have to read up on elk and mule deer in Wyoming. We normally have 2 freighter packs with us, makes short work out of a deer in the remote areas. Can assure you that I would rather pack out 10 deer than 1 elk up and out of a drainage, that is work.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:59 am

Bucky wrote:Dewey - my buddies and I have done it in WI. You have to bring the whole deer to registration station per my understanding. We carried a bone saw, gut and cut the deer in half, the easiest way IMO. We cut pretty close where backstraps meet the pelvis as to not ruin much meat (then tied the hing legs together and through over shoulder to carry hind quarters (hills). Made dragging and carrying in some spots way easier! Takes a 180-200lbs dress deer down to MUCH more manageable pieces! The front quarters drags so much easier to manage when you don't have the back legs catching... (sled or big wheeled cart for front half of deer)

Do you skin the whole deer first or leave the hide on the parts to protect the meat?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:16 am

Dewey wrote:
Bucky wrote:Dewey - my buddies and I have done it in WI. You have to bring the whole deer to registration station per my understanding. We carried a bone saw, gut and cut the deer in half, the easiest way IMO. We cut pretty close where backstraps meet the pelvis as to not ruin much meat (then tied the hing legs together and through over shoulder to carry hind quarters (hills). Made dragging and carrying in some spots way easier! Takes a 180-200lbs dress deer down to MUCH more manageable pieces! The front quarters drags so much easier to manage when you don't have the back legs catching... (sled or big wheeled cart for front half of deer)

Do you skin the whole deer first or leave the hide on the parts to protect the meat?

We left hide on

Front half went on cart... (but if you were dragging through marsh) without a sled I would probably cover cut ends with black garbage bag and tape with duct tape :think:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:21 am

Bucky wrote:
Dewey wrote:

We left hide on

Front half went on cart... (but if you were dragging through marsh) without a sled I would probably cover cut ends with black garbage bag and tape with duct tape :think:

Thanks Bucky. Sounds like a great plan. 8-)

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:17 pm

I have never done this yet but wanna try if I'm out there a ways. I was thinking I would skin out the shoulders and hind quarters put them in a duck decoy bag and carry them on my back while tying the rest of the stuff up in a bundle and dragging it out. Or maybe I would take 2 trips. After I put my gear back in the truck or car I could go back and haul the deer out in 2 separate trips. I'm not sure what I would do yet, still thinkin. I'm surprised the WDNR don't make you haul out the guts also, if you choose to qaurter.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:46 am

If its over a mile in and ground doesn't allow for a cart (upland) or sled (marsh), I'd likely quarter and pack out. However, I've yet to find a piece of terrain where a cart or sled doesn't work
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:17 am

That's a stud big woods buck in the pics!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:52 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:That's a stud big woods buck in the pics!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

That buck came out N. MN., in the BWCAW. Believe I did a write up from the hunt last year, was Mike's first kill stillhunting, which was the first goal for last years hunt.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:12 am

That's quite a buck -- looks like a horse. I can't wait to get back out there. This year I bought a pump 7600 with 1.25 to 4 power and shoot through scope rings. I shot the 161" in my Avatar at about ~15 yards. I was still-hunting stepping on rock tops with my rubber boots ... sneaking around pines ... making my way up a rub line I'd found 6-7 days before. I stepped around a tree and he was walking toward me. That was just west of Quetico, NW of you guys probably 75(?) rugged miles, I suppose. I muzzleloader hunt around the south boundary of the BWCAW.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”