Stayin low......

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: Stayin low......

Unread postby Zap » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:19 am

8-)

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:50 am

Oh yea, I have hunted so low I had to shoot up at the deer. :-), one I was just standing in a creek below a high bank, last year I was lying on my back in a crp field in a tractor tire track.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:56 am

I will hang a stand in the place with the best cover. I dont get caught up in how high the stand is. I think last year I hunted a spot that was about 8' because it was the only tree in the area and if I went up any higher I would have bent the tree over like a cane pole.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:48 am

Zap,

I understand the concept that Dan explained of hunting low in swamps to get over the cattails but not high enough that the bedded buck will see you but what is the common factor in all of those examples you posted?

I see they all look like they are on field edges. What factors of hunting field edges dictate that you hunt low in those spots?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:28 am

Mainly having a clear lane and good visability without a lot of trimming.

The one that is real low is the only spot to get a stand.

Most of my sets are under 12'.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:30 am

A lot of field edges have way too many branches to shoot through if you climb too high, and sometimes no cover.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:11 am

i seem to have an equalibream problem stemming from an inner ear infection in my early 20's anywho when i first started tree stand hunting it was rough. i started no higher than i could reach from the ground so maybe 7 ft. i had a huge doe come right under me :o you talk about weird i could jumped on her, i still cant believe i got away with that except she was in estrus flaggin her tail . 10 min later a monster non-typical came over the hill and went after her. wish she coulda been 20 minutes later he too might have walked under me. now i can hunt as high as i want i slowly elevated higher each year but it was a process for me. im not a heights fan to this day.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:45 am

Zap wrote:

This stand:

Looks familiar...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:17 am

I've hunted as high as I can reach plenty of times in the past and killed deer at that height..would forget my pole climbers, or just be in hurry.

I still hunt low, but usually around 12' or so according to cover. I'm in a lot of ridges, drainage's, up and down elevations and getting real high has no advantages in most places unless your on the highest ridge.

I hunt with recurves and flintlocks and like the shot angles and bigger targets at the lower heights. Background cover is my number one objective. Wind swirls and I hunt big woods where deer may come from any direction. I want limbs for cover, but not to block a possible shot it's a toss up and most likely causes me not to see a lot of deer due to trying to pick a tree without giving up shots..end up standing out.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:02 am

Great to see posts like this!

Hung this stand last year as high as I could on this tree, which was 12 feet in the air. Only tree I could safely put a stand in. I was worried about it being too low.

This buck never knew I was there and shot him right where the above picture was taken. It was near a doe bedding area and I only could hunt it with a perfect wind. This picture was taken last spring but in the fall I had a little bit more cover with the leaves.

I learned that in lower positions I need to 1) stand as much as I can to elongate my shape. 2) Stay as still as humanly possible and have Bow in hand and ready for anything.

He's not a slob, but I couldn't have been happier.

Jay

Unread postby Jay » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Never hunted that low in all my years of hunting. May try a couple of low sets this year
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Bigb wrote:Great to see posts like this!

Hung this stand last year as high as I could on this tree, which was 12 feet in the air. Only tree I could safely put a stand in. I was worried about it being too low.

This buck never knew I was there and shot him right where the above picture was taken. It was near a doe bedding area and I only could hunt it with a perfect wind. This picture was taken last spring but in the fall I had a little bit more cover with the leaves.

I learned that in lower positions I need to 1) stand as much as I can to elongate my shape. 2) Stay as still as humanly possible and have Bow in hand and ready for anything.

He's not a slob, but I couldn't have been happier.

8-) 8-)
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:11 am

Great thread. I am hunting a public area this year that is made up of nothing but honeysuckle mixed with fully mature trees. If you go up above the honeysuckle, you stand out like a lollipop. So this year I doubt I will be above 12 feet or so. That's lower than I really like, but its also where I will have the best cover. We will see how it goes.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:18 am

I usually hunt 6-8 feet off the ground when I hunt CRP areas. If you get any higher, they will see you from their beds. You gotta adapt to the situation..
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:29 am

If you watched the show that is currently airing "my N.E. Iowa whitetail" on H/B TV I am hunting about 6 or 7 feet off the ground

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”