Trail Cam on Buck Bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Widerack
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eric.leger.7

Trail Cam on Buck Bed

Unread postby Widerack » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:50 am

Has anyone here successfully set up a game cam on an active buck bed and gotten pictures? If so post up some pics. I sure would like to see them. Also, If there has been a thread on this topic previoulsly where pics were posted please post a link to that thread. I tried using the search button but was unsuccessful.

dreaming bucks

Re: Trail Cam on Buck Bed

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:59 am

I think Klemz or someone tried, but had camera problems.....

I think it would be neat to have some sort of contest and see who could get the best picture of a buck in his bed..... 8-)
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:03 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:I think Klemz or someone tried, but had camera problems.....

I think it would be neat to have some sort of contest and see who could get the best picture of a buck in his bed..... 8-)
x10 to see how often he beds in a single bed and see exactly how enters/exits it and see bow routine they really are. Great idea

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:23 pm

A couple weeks ago I made it out and put two cams out over two beds that I scouted this spring. I put them up in the tree next to the bed looking down into the bed. I don't plan on checking them until the end of the year, December or January. Can't wait to see what kind of pics I get! I'll be sure to post them when I get them
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Have one out one now..
Well maybe,,,there was a 2.5 or 3.5 yo buck there last year...This spring I went back there and there were some tiny fawn tracks near bed..So I'm trying to figure out if buck(s) rotate into this once nearby crops come down and pressure is on or if this was a one time deal. Wont be checking till at least mid september..hope to have pics to contribute
Widerack

Unread postby Widerack » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Say I find a bonified bed, and I want to place a cam on it. Wouldn't it be a good idea to go place the cam there at night? Say around midnight?

Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Widerack wrote:Say I find a bonified bed, and I want to place a cam on it. Wouldn't it be a good idea to go place the cam there at night? Say around midnight?
It probly wouldnt matter because he is going to smell that you were there for days after you were in there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Widerack wrote:Say I find a bonified bed, and I want to place a cam on it. Wouldn't it be a good idea to go place the cam there at night? Say around midnight?

It probly doesnt matter because he is going to smell that you were there for days after you were in there

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:52 pm

I very seldom get any pictures of mature bucks for 10-14 days after deployment.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:56 pm

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:07 am

I am part way through a mini-study hanging cameras on individual buck beds. I want to hang cameras on 10 or so heavily used buck beds over the course of the year and I will post about what I have seen when I get that far. I have done several so far with mixed results - so far, what I expected.

For those of you who are putting cameras on beds make sure you are hanging them as far away as possible from the bed - at least 30-40 feet back. I hung cameras too close a couple times and deer always spotted the camera and if you are not documenting natural use of the bed then you are not getting any accurate information. You can't trim back limbs or anything either, you won't get anything like normal deer activity if you are disturbing the area at all.
Widerack

Unread postby Widerack » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:21 am

PalmettoKid wrote:http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13430&hilit=bedded+bucks

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17177&hilit=parallel+trail

Scroll through all the pages, there are pics throughout it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16904

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14398&hilit=bedded+bucks

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18705&hilit=bedded+bucks

Thanks PK. Great pics, and very interesting.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:50 am

JoeRE wrote:I am part way through a mini-study hanging cameras on individual buck beds. I want to hang cameras on 10 or so heavily used buck beds over the course of the year and I will post about what I have seen when I get that far. I have done several so far with mixed results - so far, what I expected.

For those of you who are putting cameras on beds make sure you are hanging them as far away as possible from the bed - at least 30-40 feet back. I hung cameras too close a couple times and deer always spotted the camera and if you are not documenting natural use of the bed then you are not getting any accurate information. You can't trim back limbs or anything either, you won't get anything like normal deer activity if you are disturbing the area at all.

Some of the new cameras have a zoom mode great for this type of situation. Keep us posted on your survey. Love this kind of thing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:56 am

Those are some great pics!! I tried this once last year and i think i put the camera way too close to his bedding area and didnt get any pics. I think the cam being there scared him off. I just found this site not too long ago and its too late not to start scouting all my areas now but i will def be going in after after the season and i might try it again but putting the camera much further away and up high like said in the previous posts. This is really a great site with a ton of Info.

John
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:53 am

I walked up to within 10yds of this buck either last season or season before last..(senile) about 1-1/2hrs before daylight going in one morning. He was bedded right where he is in this photo from last year. That's about 400 yds from my house where I walk down a corn or soybean fence line going into National Forest where I hunt.

There's a paved co. road about 50yds behind him and a creek inbetween. I've got several good bucks on cam coming in through here to the crops..but he seems to like to lay up there for a while anyway.

I was coming out right before dark pre season last yr and think that's him in the beans..same place just across the fence.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”