Was this an ethical shot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Was this an ethical shot?

Unread postby Zap » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:10 pm

Only pic of have of the entry wound.
Its just in front of the rear quarter, the highest blood on the deer. Exited the opposite front shoulder.
Pass thru.

marty

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Uncle Lou

Re: Was this an ethical shot?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:48 pm

I think it is.

I think most on this forum are ethical and that is why I love these type ?s. It is interesting to discuss it.

What I ponder, is how many of us when bird/waterfowl hunting think as much about wounding and loss as we do when deer/big game hunting.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Plenty of "skyblasters" around here. :lol:

marty
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Reminds me of this buck I shot. High in a tree, quartering away pretty good. You can see the exit and entry in this pic.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:02 pm

It's all about shot placement, and angles. You have to imagine where that arrow will exit, and pick your aim spot accordingly.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:40 pm

I agree on it being ethical, but too have made hard quartering away shots and made the perfect shot but stuck the offset shoulder and had very minimal blood for 100 yards and then none after that. I ended up losing this particular buck and was heart broke bc i had such a history with him. Although i looked for 7 full days before picking my bow back up i will always think twice on these tight angle shots now.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:13 pm

One of my favorite shot angles besides broadside, quartering away shots take out almost everything on the way through and the deer goes down quickly........The odd thing is take that same shot and make it quartering to and things go awry for some reason, don't know why but I have taken similiar shots quartering to and had blood trails that went on way too long........But on the reverse I have had deer go down in sight most of the time and the ones that didn't never made it any further than 100 yards.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:48 pm

RUTIN wrote:I agree on it being ethical, but too have made hard quartering away shots and made the perfect shot but stuck the offset shoulder and had very minimal blood for 100 yards and then none after that. I ended up losing this particular buck and was heart broke bc i had such a history with him. Although i looked for 7 full days before picking my bow back up i will always think twice on these tight angle shots now.

I hear you, that deer went 200 and no blood came out the exit wound.
Found him that nite, but had to look for a while. The first hundred was thru standing beans and the entry wound left good blood on the plants. When we hit the downhill slope in the timber it got pretty hard to see.

marty
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:04 pm

RUTIN wrote:
I agree on it being ethical, but too have made hard quartering away shots and made the perfect shot but stuck the offset shoulder and had very minimal blood for 100 yards and then none after that. I ended up losing this particular buck and was heart broke bc i had such a history with him. Although i looked for 7 full days before picking my bow back up i will always think twice on these tight angle shots now.

If the arrow passes thru the vitals, no blood trail might cost you a little time, but the deer should be recovered anyway. If both lungs were taken out he should get less than 100 yards. My guess would be you didn't hit it quite where you envisioned you hit.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:24 am

I've seen that pic before. Someone posted it on AT a few times when they were saying that camo didn't matter that much.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:37 am

Sneaky wrote:I've seen that pic before. Someone posted it on AT a few times when they were saying that camo didn't matter that much.

Multi-purpose pic. :lol:

marty
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:45 am

Zap wrote:
Sneaky wrote:I've seen that pic before. Someone posted it on AT a few times when they were saying that camo didn't matter that much.

Multi-purpose pic. :lol:

marty

Yes, it is. I was just surprised that my memory worked for me. It would be nice if it did that when it mattered.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:59 am

Zap, are you trying to tie this thread with the quartering toward thread? :) I have found hard quartering away shots trickier than people might imagine. Too many times we hit one lung and liver in those types of shots and if the right recovery efforts are not made, one could lose that deer.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:35 am

virginiashadow wrote:Zap, are you trying to tie this thread with the quartering toward thread? :) I have found hard quartering away shots trickier than people might imagine. Too many times we hit one lung and liver in those types of shots and if the right recovery efforts are not made, one could lose that deer.

I am not trying to tie anything together. :)

Season is coming....... :mrgreen:

Just thought it would be good to start some threads on shot placement. When the moment arrives its best to have a good idea of what you will do. Things happen fast.

What works for someone else, either literally or from an ethical standpoint, might not work for me or another member.
And visa-versa.

Everyone should voice their opinion, then we all must decide for ourselves what we will do.

Plus its good to have new threads for everyone to communicate on and keeps the Beast rollin.

marty
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:38 am

It all boils down to the shooter knowing the anatomy of the deer, and knowing his capabilities. The size of your target area that puts the arrow thru both lungs and/or heart, and how effective you are at that given range are what really matters... I take shots I believe fully are killing shots based on the target size and my abilities.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”