How close?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

saddlesniper

How close?

Unread postby saddlesniper » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Want start by saying thanks, Dan. I have your videos and don't recall hearing or reading how close to set up on a bedded buck. Is 100 yds too far or 10 too close? (I have my own farmland, mainly thick woods , pretty flat 10 ft of roll but that's it) I know it varies on stem count, sight and sound. But if you or the guys that have previous knowledge and could throw out some numbers that would be helpful. I'm lost on the jay hook! Thanks

Jeff

RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Re: How close?

Unread postby RUTIN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Welcome! My first suggestion would be go thru the first page and read all the farm land hunting threads bc there have been a ton lately. Secondly you need to know where the buck you after is bedding and on what winds, what are his entry and exit routes, ect. Reading the farm threads will answer a lot of questions
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Welcome.

As close as you can. Find the bed, get in and look for the closest tree that you can slip in undetected on the correct wind. Go from there.

I would say 75-100 yards would be the norm? Very site specific question though...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:31 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Welcome.

As close as you can. Find the bed, get in and look for the closest tree that you can slip in undetected on the correct wind. Go from there.

I would say 75-100 yards would be the norm? Very site specific question though...

X2

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:06 am

Your skill set determines how close you can get. It may take an hour to go 100 yards. Some guys don't have that patience/skill so they must set up farther away.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:29 am

Welcome to the Beast! 8-)

I never really put a number on it cause it varys from set to set and terrain to terrain... For instance my average set in marshes or swamps is probably about 75 yards, but in hill country I probably average 150 if the woods is open or mature...

The best way to determine distance is to get right in the bed and look and see what the buck can see, think about what he can hear, & smell.... You want to be just outside of that range. As close as possible...

The only way to really get it right is to go in and push the envelope. To close and you spook him, to far and he don't reach you in daylight. The best teacher there is is yourself. You need to make your best effort. When you hunt to far back you will fail and when you hunt to close you will fail... One things for sure, those who are hanging good bucks on the wall hunting beast style are occasionally seeing a flag or hearing there buck crash away...

I have watched some mature bucks rise from there beds an hour or two before dark but only get 75 to 150 yards in daylight... You gotta get as close as possible, especially outside the rut. Each set up is unique. The detective in you has to find the kink in the bucks safety plan. Your looking for his weak spot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”