Touching up stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NBK438

Touching up stands

Unread postby NBK438 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:27 am

Today I had the opportunity to go trim up some of my spots I picked out this spring. What I predicted is actually happening and that was a confidence booster :dance: One of the spots I trimmed up is right on a thick ditch line that connects a corn field and thick bedding area. How much and how long do you think this intrusion will affect deer movement in the area? While I was out there I seen a bachelor group of some young bucks eating in a bean field. Made my day :D

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Re: Touching up stands

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:00 am

That is cutting it pretty tight........hope for some rain to wash away your scent
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Depends on the type of property and how much human intrusion is ok with the local deer. Some farms with frequent human activity the deer don't mind at all to smell you around field edges. I just wouldn't be doing any 'out of the ordinary' investigating.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:02 am

The deer im hunting around here are in farm land. My belief is that the deer around here are not as serious as a swamp buck would be with intrusion. Some of the spots they bed in around here utilize their vision more and this makes them more likely to get bumped. This increased contact I believe might help us out depending on how we bumped them or what we were doing when we bumped them. Have you guys noticed the same? I also believe a lot of these beds I have seen this on were satellite beds, not as much core. Core intrusion will always be taken more seriously.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Mature bucks everywhere take intrusion seriously... Sometimes you get away with it, often you don't. I try to trim in spring if I have to trim. When I scout the spot. once and out.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:26 pm

I wish I would have had enough time in the spring to trim some of my some of my spots. Since you're not a field edge hunter, do you walk the field edges and identify tracks at this time of year?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”